login

Author Topic: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?  (Read 17696 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?
« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:33 AM »
After watching again last night, Jessica is still my favorite.  I find, particularly in the scene right where Bella approaches the biker gang, that she's the level headed one who speaks for the audience.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2010, 09:04:55 AM »
After watching again last night, Jessica is still my favorite.  I find, particularly in the scene right where Bella approaches the biker gang, that she's the level headed one who speaks for the audience.

I just wish she didn't deliver her lines like a spoiled Beverly Hills princess. I'm not overly fond of that character anyway. My God, she wears a dress to he Prom in Twilight that would have gotten her ejected from even the classiest, upscale restaurant in my area. The cleavage was hanging out just a bit too much there.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2010, 09:11:07 AM »

Mine too. Anna Kendrick's awesome.

Alice's hair bothers me too much to like her.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »

I just wish she didn't deliver her lines like a spoiled Beverly Hills princess. I'm not overly fond of that character anyway. My God, she wears a dress to he Prom in Twilight that would have gotten her ejected from even the classiest, upscale restaurant in my area. The cleavage was hanging out just a bit too much there.

I didn't like her line deliveries either, but can you honestly say you'd be much nicer to Bella?  I think if I had to hang out with her, I'd be snotty and dismissive too.

I think that's what the director was going for.  We are supposed to view Bella as the heroine, to sympathize with her broken heart and identify with her.  Jessica is telling her "Get over it!  Edward's no good for you."  And by disparaging Edward, Jessica becomes the villain.  The line deliveries were probably supposed to make her even more unlikable to the Twihards.  I don't remember her speaking in the same tone during the first movie, and I don't remember the prom dress.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:40 AM »

Mine too. Anna Kendrick's awesome.

She's totally my celebrity crush of the year.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:54 AM »

I didn't like her line deliveries either, but can you honestly say you'd be much nicer to Bella?  I think if I had to hang out with her, I'd be snotty and dismissive too.

I think that's what the director was going for.  We are supposed to view Bella as the heroine, to sympathize with her broken heart and identify with her.  Jessica is telling her "Get over it!  Edward's no good for you."  And by disparaging Edward, Jessica becomes the villain.  The line deliveries were probably supposed to make her even more unlikable to the Twihards.  I don't remember her speaking in the same tone during the first movie, and I don't remember the prom dress.

I don't think I'd want to hang out with either of those characters. Bella's too codependent, moany and self destructive. And Jessica is too stuck up, dismissive and prissy.
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:39 PM »
You know, I remember from the first film that the vampire "mom" was the only character in the whole movie that didn't repulse me. She's so minor in this one, but I think she wins the prize and the only one I wouldn't run away from. I think just looking at Alice's clothes, I wold run away.
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2010, 12:27:48 PM »
You know, I remember from the first film that the vampire "mom" was the only character in the whole movie that didn't repulse me. She's so minor in this one, but I think she wins the prize and the only one I wouldn't run away from. I think just looking at Alice's clothes, I wold run away.

Plus she's the star of Sweet Land, my favorite movie of all time. EVERYONE WATCH IT, DAMMIT.

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4646
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2010, 12:59:45 PM »
[[regarding contacting a family member to get to Edward]]
Don't forget though, Edward was by himself he wasn't with the rest of his family.  They implied Edward wasn't even in the same timezone as the rest of his family.

You're right, they said he was off by himself.  And, out of his window after he got off the phone with Jacob you could see the huge, well-lit 'Christ the Redeemer' statue in Rio de Jeniero.  [Which actually answers a point someone else brought up earlier: about why it was that Bella and Alice could reach him in Italy in time: he had to actually travel further than they did to get to the Volturi.]
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
You're right, they said he was off by himself.  And, out of his window after he got off the phone with Jacob you could see the huge, well-lit 'Christ the Redeemer' statue in Rio de Jeniero.  [Which actually answers a point someone else brought up earlier: about why it was that Bella and Alice could reach him in Italy in time: he had to actually travel further than they did to get to the Volturi.

...But, he was already in Italy at that time....I think.  He went to the Voluri, requested to die, they denied him.
Edward:  You know what will happen, anyway.
Volturi:  Not without cause.

He then vows to sparkle under the midday sun.  He's already there.

....He made it Rio to Italy in, what, 18 hours?...according to the movie?

:It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's jus....:

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:39 PM »
You're right, they said he was off by himself.  And, out of his window after he got off the phone with Jacob you could see the huge, well-lit 'Christ the Redeemer' statue in Rio de Jeniero.  [Which actually answers a point someone else brought up earlier: about why it was that Bella and Alice could reach him in Italy in time: he had to actually travel further than they did to get to the Volturi.

...But, he was already in Italy at that time....I think.  He went to the Voluri, requested to die, they denied him.
Edward:  You know what will happen, anyway.
Volturi:  Not without cause.

He then vows to sparkle under the midday sun.  He's already there.

....He made it Rio to Italy in, what, 18 hours?...according to the movie?

:It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's just a movie, I should really just relax.  It's jus....:

No, the Jesus the Redeemer in Rio is out the window in the scene where Edward gets off the phone from talking to Jacob (where Jacob implies that Bella is dead) and then crushes his phone.  [Thus making it impossible to reach him until he is in Italy.]  So basically he, Bella, and Alice left at roughly the same time to reach Italy; he from South America, them from North.

I'm sure the iconic image of that huge statue was given for two reasons, in the book it was probably symbolic (somehow) for Edward, but in the film it is one of those world-wide-recognized landmarks that instantly places someone in a particular place without having to put "Rio de Jenieio" in little white letters at the bottom of the screen.  [Much as if they put 'le Tour Eiffel' out the window, people would instantly know someone was in Paris.]

I actually don't remember them giving a time frame for how long it took Edward to get to Italy.  I wonder what Google Maps says is average time to get there from RIo?  :D

With all the time jumps in this film it was easy to get confused....  Hell, the entire Back to the Future series was more stable in time than this film was!  But in a matter of three nights I watched the film three times [ :speechless: ].  First, by itself so I could discuss it with one of my physical therapists who is into the series (she has read all the books), the next night with Mike Kevin and Bill, then the next with the Ice On Mars iRiff for it (both of the latter making the price of the DVD worth it  ;D ).  And I'm rather detail-oriented [no-one reading any of my posts could possibly have guessed that  :D ] and a 'continuity whore', so much of the time I'm acutely aware when things don't fit and look to see if I missed something.  By 'continuity whore' I mean that I work to understand cause-and-effect on multiple levels going way back (it made me a good therapist too, from what clients told me... now I'm wasting that talent on films like this  :P ).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:38:13 PM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2010, 04:47:57 PM »
No, the Jesus the Redeemer in Rio is out the window in the scene where Edward gets off the phone from talking to Jacob (where Jacob implies that Bella is dead) and then crushes his phone.  [Thus making it impossible to reach him until he is in Italy.]  So basically he, Bella, and Alice left at roughly the same time to reach Italy; he from South America, them from North.

Yes, I know, but, I'm saying, he was in Italy before they were....somehow.  He was in Rio, but, then, he.....yeah, I saw this movie 7 or 8 times in 4 days.  I rented it from Blockbuster and wanted to get my money's worth with it and the Riff.  I don't remember how it was in the book...and I'm thankful. :)

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »

Yes, I know, but, I'm saying, he was in Italy before they were....somehow.  He was in Rio, but, then, he.....yeah, I saw this movie 7 or 8 times in 4 days.  I rented it from Blockbuster and wanted to get my money's worth with it and the Riff.  I don't remember how it was in the book...and I'm thankful. :)

Oh, OK.  I'm sorry I responded as if you'd only seen it once with the RiffTrax (which is often the case here, and where a lot of people miss a lot of stuff).  I pity our poor brains being exposed to it multiple times in such a short period of time and trying to make sense of it.   :D

I think Edward was only with the Volturi while Bella and Alice were in the car, so he apparently didn't beat them by much.  That could've been anything as mundane as flight scheduling differences, or at which airport the flights each was able to get could land.  And, while it would've been nice if there'd been some explanation, I think it would've interrupted the flow and tension of the 'will she reach him in time?' part of what was going on.

Of course, it could've been all the time that Bella took writing the note to her dad and packing the duffelbag that made them so late.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 05:40:06 PM by LucasM »

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:21 PM »
Of course, it could've been all the time that Bella took writing the note to her dad and packing the duffelbag that made them so late.  ::)

YES!!!  That's probably it!   I've also thought it's because he's the fastest of the Cullins, so, he could have ran as far as land would have taken him, he could have gremlin'd on the wing of a plane since he doesn't need air to breathe, and, jump down to land when he was close to a mountain or a tree and ran the rest of the way.

Seriously, I've thought this as a possibilty....

:(

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5711
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »

YES!!!  That's probably it!   I've also thought it's because he's the fastest of the Cullins, so, he could have ran as far as land would have taken him, he could have gremlin'd on the wing of a plane since he doesn't need air to breathe, and, jump down to land when he was close to a mountain or a tree and ran the rest of the way.

Seriously, I've thought this as a possibilty....

:(
There's a ... sparkly douche ... on ... the wing ... of the plane.