Author Topic: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?  (Read 17115 times)

Offline elusive robert denby

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Alice the only thing close to a likable character?
« on: March 21, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »
shes the only one who seems tio have any kind of real life or energy in these horrible, horrible films. or maybe its just because i fancy ashley green. well, either way, shes the only thing i find barable in these terrible movies. even with rifftrax, these films are hard to watch.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Alice the only thing close to a likable character?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 07:20:24 PM »
She is one of the few who is - and normally I hate this word - proactive.

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »
I rather like Jacob, and what upsets me about this character is in the last book 1/3 of it is written from his POV and either Meyers really can write well and engagingly, or, that middle third wasn't written by her.

Also, Jasper.  I know he doesn't get a lot of time in the books or the movies (so far), but, he was a confederate soldier; I like how he retains some of that.  Even the actor plays him very formal and gentlemanly.

Uhhh....Emmit is okay...he's not horrid..... (?)

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
Also, Jasper.  I know he doesn't get a lot of time in the books or the movies (so far), but, he was a confederate soldier; I like how he retains some of that.  Even the actor plays him very formal and gentlemanly.

Like that part where he tries to pounce on Bella and eat her....but he was a gentleman about it.   ;)  LOL

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3730
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »
The Beauty of Bella is Obviously right up there with the Beauty of Lisa (The Room) 8)

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 07:52:15 PM »

Like that part where he tries to pounce on Bella and eat her....but he was a gentleman about it.   ;)  LOL

....I'M NOT CONSIDERING THIS A PWNAGE!!!!!  (Despite it so obviously being so... :'( )

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:35 PM »
I don't mind Carlisle (the vampire dad) much either.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
I don't mind Carlisle (the vampire dad) much either.

Yeah, had a nice manner in the hospital.  And then, thinking to tell Bella that her Dad needed her and why...

Also kind of have to like him for 1) "saving" people who were dying in the prime of life and then 2) promoting living without killing.

(Meyer re-wrote "Twilight" from another perspective....wish it had been his instead of Edward's)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:34:43 PM by Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck »

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
or maybe its just because i fancy ashley green.

That's the answer for me.  LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
I kinda thought Bella's human classmates were cool.  I wanted to see a movie about them.

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
    • S2*
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
The Beauty of Bella is Obviously right up there with the Beauty of Lisa (The Room) 8)

Lisa: Oh, he'll never dance with her. She'll have to settle for some Mexican Milhouse.
Dancer: I demand to know your name.
Lisabella: My name is Lisabella.
Lisa: That's my name with "bella" on the end of it! Ask her! Oh, God, please, ask her to dance!

http://www.lardlad.com/assets/quotes/season11/BABF15.shtml

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 11:42:27 PM »
Well, Alice isn't the only likable character.

I'll agree that vamp mom and dad are fairly decent folks, except for the whole creepy vampire matchmaking thing.

I think Bella's dad is fairly realistic as well. His daughter suddenly arrives back in his life after years of absence and he's really at a loss for what to do. (I'll consider the "Bella sitting at the window for 3 months" montage to be artistic license.) Plus his daughter keeps vanishing on him for days at a time. I sympathize with the guy as he's completely over his head in this. Dad's hunting buddy as well seems like a decent type. Granted, he doesn't get a lot of dialog...

Offline Kenotic

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Small and of no account
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 01:51:53 AM »
There's a handful of likable characters, and as of now Alice is probably the most prominent. Carlisle is fine, although at some point you think he'd actually have a talk with his "son" about how stupid he is trying to date a human he's likely to kill.

Classmate Mike is a dork, but in that way most teenage boys can be. He's likable enough, but the series seems hellbent on making humanity (and humans) boring. Escapism ho!

Jacob is far more interesting than Edward, but I know that things get extra squicky in the end when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I was a student at a small midwestern college....

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4534
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 03:35:57 AM »
My interpretation of what elusive robert denby was saying was that - in this film - Alice seemed like the only one 'behaving' and trying to make sure that the people who most loved one-another had a chance to be together.  But I think that may have been more a function of the lack of time to add in more people doing more things and still maintain both the 'Jacob matures into a werewolf' and the 'Bella&Edward as Romeo&Juliet' things.

I give a tiny bit of credit that the film opened with them basically saying: "Look; see?  We're going to rip off Shakespeare here!"  With the Romeo & Juliet video in class and all.  [Had it not been mentioned before it was re-done, it would've seemed more of a crass rip-off, rather than a crass 'homage'.  ;) ]

I agree with others here: in general, Jacob,  Edward's 'father' and 'mother', and Bella's dad's friends, have been presented as nice, relatively stable people who are proactive.  But with the insanely depressed nature of Bella (including adult-onset night terrors, but mostly three months of basically not moving she was so intensely depressed, wandering off unannounced, then what amounted to suicidal behavior), Bella's father should've at least made sure she was seen by a psychiatrist, but probably hospitalized for such intense depression.  But with the others, I do just think it was the limitations of a two-hour film that made the focus so narrow as to only accent Alice in that regard this time out (not complaining: more Ashley Greene screen time is far from objectionable.  ;D )
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:44:35 AM by LucasM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »
Agree. only person who really seems like a great person is Alice.