Author Topic: BBC Crown Jewels on VH1  (Read 768 times)

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
BBC Crown Jewels on VH1
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »
Anyone else been catching this show? Basically, it's a packaging of BBC music shows, like Old Grey Whistle Test and Rock Goes To College. Some of the concert stuff presented is pretty awesome.

My favorite so far has to be AC/DC, from 1978, on Rock Goes To College. First off, a lot of guitarists are great because they make it look easy; Angus Young is great because he makes it look excruciating. He's a whirling dervish, running all across the stage (probably the earliest use of a wireless pack I've ever seen); he's a ball of sweat by the third song, never ceasing to bang his head like someone possessed while making the most amazing sounds come out his guitar. You can also see the turning point for the audience, too. At this point in history, metal was pretty much in the Black Sabbath mold, and one thing metal didn't do at time was move; as the audience slowly starts realizing that Angus' crazed head motions are about more than theatrics, some intrepid souls start head-banging, and you can almost see the light bulbs come  on above their heads. Bloody brilliant.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: BBC Crown Jewels on VH1
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »
Wish I had VH1, Whistle Test was ace.