Author Topic: ZachsMind, the Universe, and everything.  (Read 25670 times)

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
ZachsMind, the Universe, and everything.
« on: August 31, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »
I missed out on the controversy, but as the #2 poster on this board (Damn you trickfred ;) ) I felt obligated to comment.

Some things are funny, some are not.  Comedy is in the eyes and ears of the beholder. 

I invite everyone to give Zach another chance.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend with my life your RIGHT to say it."

I also submit my 100% non offensive World Trade Center riff...

"Hey, its the title card for "The Critic!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:TheCritic1.jpg
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:11:36 PM by Tarantulas »

Offline trickfred

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Klaatu, Barada, Nnn...ahemhem.
    • stellarmatter.net
Re: ZachsMind, the Universe, and everything.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 10:07:54 PM »
Heh... I'm sure I'll be overtaken very soon, but honestly, it's not about the post count, it's about the conversations.

(If it was about post count, you might see me making 'double posts' too. ;D )

Edit: (See? There's an edit button!) On the topic, ZachsMind has said some very interesting things here, and has no doubt contributed much to the burgeoning community here. Talk about whatever you want, but the rest of the community will not hesitate to tell you that they're kind of sick of hearing particular things when they're repeated excessively. :D

*coughwtcjokescoughtomcruisecough*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 10:16:23 PM by trickfred »
"I'm an opinionated jerk. You can be too; ask me how!"

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 10:10:34 PM »
That sir is an insult!  HAVE AT YOU!

Seriously, you will always be #1 in my heart, trickfred.

Offline trickfred

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Klaatu, Barada, Nnn...ahemhem.
    • stellarmatter.net
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 10:17:53 PM »
Aww shucks, puddin. :D
"I'm an opinionated jerk. You can be too; ask me how!"

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:02:57 AM »
While I didn't agree with zachsmind in that debate, I sincerely hope he won't absent himself here after coming down on the unpopular side of an issue.

As to the notion of comedy = tragedy + time ...

We see this concept effectively deployed in comedy routines. 

(ref. 1865) "Enjoying the play, Mr. Lincoln?  Duck!"  - Robin Williams
(ref. 1912) "I'm going to see Titanic -- don't spoil the ending for me!"
(ref. 1963) "Just thinkin' of John, Jackie (clicks rifle pendant)" - Bill Hicks
(ref. 33) "Always look on the bright side of life..." - Monty Python

That said, it's very difficult for me to wrap my mind around a "funny" reference to the WTC -- not in the general way Tarantulas illustrates, above, but rather specifically where 9/11 is concerned.  That event is just too recent, too massive, too horrible.  And I certainly think an attempt at a "funny" comment referencing 9/11 during a shot of the NYC skyline would have been a mistake, most likely coloring every riff said after the fact -- for this viewer, and many others.

(David Cross was able to explore the event in a darkly comic way during an extended, developed routine -- "I was in Las Vegas.  You think the people who worked at "New York, New York" felt it a little more deeply...?" -- but to my mind a quick one-off comment on Rifftrax wouldn't be the place for it.)

Anyway, the original point Tarantula started above is one I do agree with, and I sincerely hope that no one remove themselves from the board community after debating a difficult topic.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:40:23 AM by Joe Don Faker »

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 06:31:27 AM »
Here's another riff:

(External Shot of WTC) Hey isn't that Nic Cage?

I actualy find it more offensive that Hollywood is trying to make a quick buck off the tradgedy.  Flight 93 and WTC are shining examples of what NOT to do, but I guess documentaries on the subject don't crank out as much cash.

Also Titanic jokes are fair game considering that we as a society consider a comedy about Nazi war camps classic.

But I kid "Hogan's Heroes"

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 06:58:07 AM »
I don't know about you guys, but every time I see an image of the WTC pop up in some older movie or TV show, for a fraction of a second my breath stops in my throat ever so slightly. 

I think that any reference to the exact event of 9/11 would no doubt be in bad taste.  And as Joe Don eloquently pointed out, a one-off from Mike would be out of place and likely ill-received.  I can see some comedy being made about it, stand up comedians have done it already quite a bit (again, as Joe Don pointed out), but it's (usually) done in a tactful way and in a more appropriate environment.  The nature of the comedy in the Rifftrax just doesn't lend itself to a one joke about the tragedy.

EDIT: And I don't want ZachsMind to disappear either, he has posted some thoughtful ideas and jokes.  He has a penchant for taking things a little too far, but hey, it keeps it interesting around here.  Our wonderful mods will reign in any out-of-line behavior. ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 07:02:24 AM by Smilin Jack Ross »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 07:27:25 AM »
Again, comedy is in the eyes and ears of the beholder.

There is plenty of room for all viewpoints on the issue.

I'm just glad the converstation has switched from "America, f*ck yeah!" to something a little more civil.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 07:49:04 AM »
I've heard and made lots of good WTC jokes, I take very little seriously.  The Onion was making fantastic jokes a few weeks after September 11 and Katrina that had me laughing, America as a nation is pretty conservative.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 08:49:54 AM by ScottH »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 07:56:27 AM »
The Onion has perfected the art of making fun of everything and everyone, without making it seem out of line.  But we expect that from The Onion, we wouldn't expect it from Mike.  Mike's humor is more cheeky and fun.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Joe Don Faker

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 08:52:46 AM »
I've heard and made lots of good WTC jokes, I take very little seriously.  The Onion was making really good jokes a few weeks after September 11 and Katrina that had me laughing, America as a nation is pretty conservative.

Oh yeah, I remember The Onion being able to do that as well.   The huge headline over a pic of the damaged towers was "HOLY F*CKING SHIT," which expressed the thoughts of many.  Some short time later they had a pic of Britney with a snake draped around her neck, and assorted pop cultural stuff flanking her in a collage.  "America Longing to Go Back to Thinking About Stupid Shit Again."

Well said, I think, on both counts.  It's harder for me to imagine a one-off riff working, though.  The context strikes me as more difficult.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 10:14:24 AM »

"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 11:07:04 AM »
It all does boil down to time + Tragedy. Problem is there hasn't been enough time.

Like on September 20th, 2001(Or thenabouts) when I decided to try out a Stock Market Crash joke (C'Mon. We ALL thought it. It writes ITSELF!) that was too soon. :^) But give that joke maybe another 20 years and that'll be comic GOLD! :^) I think, for some people, if we can't joke about an event, it's conquered us. So our first reaction when something's conquered us, is to say, "Hey I conquer YOU back!" and crack some wise at it.

But in doing so, we need to make sure we don't trivialize it. The Onion's coverage of the disaster was focused entirely on the reactions of the people. It stayed very carefully away from the heart of the matter, which can't really be made funny.

I think before the event itself can be made humorous, as horrible as it sounds, we need to first forget that real people died back then. It's awful but it DOES lose its realness after a while. Titanic, if you think too much about it, was truely the death of hundreds. There's nothing funny about that. But when you forget about all the death and look at a big boat hitting an iceburg, THAT can be made funny.

Now I'm not implying that we NEED to forget that people died back then. I'm just saying we will. In another 20 or so years, it'll be joked about as often as we joke about any other dark event in our nation's history. The jokes won't be about a man getting burned alive. We'll have forgotten that part. The jokes will be about two tall buildings falling.

It's both sad and inspiring, knowing that through denial we will eventually overcome.

And that's my 2 cents. :^)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 11:14:14 AM »
I'm trying to think if there's any good/popular jokes out there about Pearl Harbor (the event, not the crap-tastic Michael Bay movie).  It's been a lot of time since that happened, and it's definitely a tragedy, but I don't think it's really something that is the butt of many jokes.  Maybe it is?  Any examples?

Offline Tarantulas

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 11:24:08 AM »
The Onion ran a great article post 9/11 that pretty much sums it all up:

"A Shattered Nation Longs To Care About Stupid Bullshit Again"

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28129?issue=4228&special=2001