login

Author Topic: American Tail  (Read 719 times)

Offline donkeylongears

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
American Tail
« on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:52 AM »
Why not make this dull depressing movie into a comical riot?

Doctor Who?

Re: American Tail
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »
I like this movie.  I think it is one of the best animated movies of it's time.  I really like the fact that it tried to tell the story of people who had to flee their homelands and come here.  I think it is just as good as a lot of stuff Disney has put out.  Not sure why it sometimes gets flak.  Still I guess a rifftrack could work but I don't think it is out on DvD any more and there are bigger targets that more people have one their dvd shelves.  Just saying I don 't think it will happen.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2397
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:51:53 PM »
It does have some pretty depressing sections, but then so do Disney movies.  I think the Nostalgia Critic's theory about this movie and Don Bluth's filmmaking is pretty much true "kids can take just about anything as long as you add a happy ending."  It's been so many years since I've seen this, so I have no idea how it holds up, but I remember liking it as a kid.  What little I remember does seem like it's riffable though.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline donkeylongears

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:25:30 AM »
I do understand the point it's trying to get across, but i just don't find it entertaining.  I'm not saying it was bad, but not that good either. For instance, there are song sequences that do nothing for the movie. "A duo" and "No cat's in America" seem to have no point.

The Nostalgia Critic did have a point with this movie, though his list was a little hypocritical.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:33:21 AM »
I'm just saying there are much bigger targets and I don't see what is so bad about this movie.  Also it's not like a Disney movie has never stopped the plot for a song. 

There doesn't seem to be much chance they will ever do a full length animated rifftrax but you seem to how a passion for it,have you ever considered doing an iRiff? I have only ever written scripts(all the tech stuff defeated me)but if you know how to do the tech stuff or know someone who does it is fun and a movie gets riffed that Mike and th gang will not touch.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:46:32 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline donkeylongears

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:40:10 AM »
I'm just saying there are much bigger targets and I don't see what is so bad about this movie.  Also it's not like a Disney movie has never stopped the plot for a song. 

There doesn't seem to be much chance they will ever do a full length animated rifftrax but you seem to how a passion for it,have you ever considered doing an iRiff? I have only ever written scripts(all the tech stuff defeated me)but if you know how to do the tech stuff or know someone who does it is fun and a movie gets riffed that Mike and th gang will not touch.

You do have a point, I was just thinking if they thought Nestor was depressing (I'm not going there, that's the old me) This one's not much different. Al well, I might iRiff it in the future then.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »
I do understand the point it's trying to get across, but i just don't find it entertaining.  I'm not saying it was bad, but not that good either. For instance, there are song sequences that do nothing for the movie. "A duo" and "No cat's in America" seem to have no point.

The Nostalgia Critic did have a point with this movie, though his list was a little hypocritical.

not sure what you mean by hypocritical. Only problem I have with that list is listing Saying Goodbye as the saddest Muppet song, then following it up with a Sesame Street song. They're Muppets too after all.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline satanloveskitties

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
There are no cats in America! ! I forgot this movie! My kid NEEDS TO SEE THIS  TODAY!
>SATANLOVESKITTIES<

Doctor Who?

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 09:11:19 AM »
It is a good movie that proves Disney isn't the only company that can make good animated movies when they try.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:33 PM »
Though it shows Disney is a good place to get started as Don Bluth was once a Disney animator. I think both his studio and dreamworks were both founded on the idea of "it's time to move on from Disney and make what we want to make"

gum.co/RFTrocky

Doctor Who?

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »
Oh yeah don't get me wrong I am not trying to put down Disney.  I just think it shows that there is stuff out there that is not Disney that is still good.  I know a lot people who think anything that is animated and is not made by Disney is just cheap knock off and they will not even give it a chance and that is what I was talking about.  Movies like this and the Iron Giant prove that Disney is not the only game in town but they do do amazing work you can't say that they don't.

Offline satanloveskitties

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:03:39 PM »
don bluth was the man in the 80s early 90s if your in your late 20s early thirties you loved at aleast one of his movies !
>SATANLOVESKITTIES<