Author Topic: The VOD sync  (Read 5176 times)

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
The VOD sync
« on: February 14, 2010, 05:26:29 PM »
Is it just me or does it seem like the sync is off by a second or two on the VOD of this short?  At first I thought it was just in my head so I blew it off.  But I played it for someone else today and they mentioned the same thing without me bringing it up first.  A lot of the riffs that are timed with dialogue take a second or two longer than Mike and Co usually take to drop a line related joke in there.  This is especially noticeable near the end.

It's not a big deal, this is still one of my favorite riffs, I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The VOD sync
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 09:24:12 PM »
I'm not seeing it, audio syncs with the video perfectly and the riffs match up perfectly.

FYI, I'm playing the .mpg version using VLC.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 07:21:12 AM »
Thanks.  Probably just my crap mac.  LOL

Offline Invisible NanoGhost

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Just here for a few laughs. I'll take yours.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:25:58 PM »
I just played the .mp4 and .mpg versions on my mac, and both of those played fine for me.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:26:17 AM »
Okay, just for my own curiosity, let me ask you guys this:  Towards the end of the short, at about the 11:04 mark, when the camera is on the table of food, the narrator says "every one has those three magic words."

Then the narrator says the three words as they appear on the screen: "Quality.  Freshness.  and Flavor."

Bill says "Stop.  No. and Don't."

In your version, does Bill say each word at the same time as the narrator, or immediately after the narrator in each case?

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:42:22 AM »
Bill says "Stop" after the narrator says "Quality", but Bill doesn't wait each time, he just says "Stop, No and Don't" as if he's reading them off a list.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:31:29 AM »
Yea, he says stop after the narrator says quality but quickly adds the next 2 on top of the narrator.  Seems to me it was done that way on purpose.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 06:23:15 PM »
Okay, thanks.  I think that's where the idea first got into our heads and then we just ran with it after that.  LMFAO

Offline andyp1986

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 05:59:29 PM »
There's definitely a sync issue with the VOD files. I just compared the "Watch Sample" clip on the site with my files. There is a noticeable difference in the timing (especially noticeable during the song, especially in the timing of Kevin's riff "PORK RULES!").

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:16 AM »
The plot thickens! 

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:16 AM »
There's definitely a sync issue with the VOD files. I just compared the "Watch Sample" clip on the site with my files. There is a noticeable difference in the timing (especially noticeable during the song, especially in the timing of Kevin's riff "PORK RULES!").

Thank you for not giving us any helpful information, such as what version of the file you were watching, what kind of computer you watched it on, etc., etc.. Since no one else has mentioned a sync issue, except for Doctor Who here - and it plays fine for us, we're going to assume your computer plays local videos differently than it handles video streamed from a media server.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Thank you for not giving us any helpful information, such as what version of the file you were watching, what kind of computer you watched it on, etc., etc.. Since no one else has mentioned a sync issue, except for Doctor Who here - and it plays fine for us, we're going to assume your computer plays local videos differently than it handles video streamed from a media server.

I think the original concern from Shadowdog and then andyp1986's concern is not that the audio is out of sync with the video but rather the riffing is out of sync with the short.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 10:44:16 AM »
That's what I mean. Although we generally make the sample out of the same finished render as the final movie, so what andyp1986 is saying doesn't make any sense. Hence why we need more information.

Offline andyp1986

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 09:30:35 PM »
I didn't think to post those details only because they applied on all fronts. The riffing is out of sync on all of the video files (divx, mp4, mpeg, wmv), and it is a problem regardless of what media player I use (Windows, Quicktime, VLC, etc). Since I've used the same computer and the same media players for other Rifftrax shorts files, and Three Magic Words was the only one of them with a sync issue, I didn't assume it was a problem with my computer, but with the files themselves.

Reading this thread and the conversation about "Stop, No, and Don't", I became convinced it was the files, and that no one else had noticed or reported the issue. Like ShadowDog, Action Batch, and MartyS, I hear the same pause between the narrator and Bill's riff: "Stop, No, and Don't." when I play any of the video files, so I'm hearing the playback the same way they are. It's just that other people think it's "done on purpose", as MartyS suggested. I don't think so.

Another key moment of comparison between the video files and the sample is Mike's sung ruff "You should buy the kind that isn't full of maggots and disease, etc...". In the streamed sample, Mike's line is in perfect rhythm with the Jesters'. In the video files, there's a split second pause between the Jesters singing their line and Mike singing his riff, making Mike seem slightly off the beat.

I'll happily give any further information needed. And I'm sorry for not making enough sense or having enough info the first time. I'd just figured it wasn't just me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 09:33:59 PM by andyp1986 »

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:35:38 PM »
Yeah I use the same computer (A Mac G4 laptop) to watch all the shorts and this is the only short I've ever had a question about as far as the riffing sync goes.  I mean, I can live with it, it's not a big deal at all, I was just curious if anyone had noticed it.