login

Author Topic: Finding this video - the shame  (Read 8176 times)

Offline Moxobna

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Finding this video - the shame
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:53:02 AM »
So I called every video store in Toronto looking for this video, and *finally* found it for sale.

Me: Can you hold it for me?

Clerk: Um...in the history of this store, we have *never sold a copy*. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

And then I got to actually show up at the video store and be the only person in Toronto to buy the thing. Ever. Thanks for that, Rifftrax. (In all fairness I must admit - the commentary was worth the shame.)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Finding this video - the shame
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 05:30:56 AM »
Same type of thing happened to me. I went to a Hollywood Video in Frisco, Texas and when I checked it out, the guy at the counter said no one had ever rented it before. Ever!! And it looked like that store had been there for a while!

Sad.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 06:42:15 PM »
Do not feel ashamed. Be PROUD! You are a cinematic conquerer, entering unexplored territory! =o
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »

Didja' do the half-mumbling explanation about Rifftrax and why you were actually buying the DVD... only to get a sad look from the clerk, like "Sure, sure... you poor, pathetic little man"?

Thankfully, there are a few clerks at the video store on my way to work that know the drill by now. Last time i went in, they actually asked if i was "the Rifftrax guy"! I'm not sure if that was meant to be like, a compliment... or something more like a Bigfoot-sighting. But, at least i don't have to explain why i'm renting Battlefield Earth and Troll 2 anymore!

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 06:25:43 PM »
I also have trouble imagining how anyone could eloquently explain the nature of rifftrax to an unindoctrinated movie clerk.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 02:06:25 AM »
Didja' do the half-mumbling explanation about Rifftrax and why you were actually buying the DVD... only to get a sad look from the clerk, like "Sure, sure... you poor, pathetic little man"?

I did that when I bought my used copy of Battlefield Earth.... and then again when I bought Road House, Island of Dr. Moreau, Point Break, and LOTR

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 02:56:08 AM »
I always make sure I'm wearing my Rifftrax t-shirt whenever I'm in Blockbuster. Saves a lot of embarassment :)

Offline Smoky

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 11:38:17 AM »
You think you know humility?? I just got back from taking out Battlefield Earth AND Dr. Mareau at the same time. I was preparing myself to say something about Rifftrax, but the woman at the counter didn't question me. I asked if they had Joe Vs. The Volcano too, but that's a movie I actually love.
I know you are but what am I

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 07:05:59 PM »
I've been in this situation. When I rent something I feel ashamed of, I take on a look of severe intensity. Throws people off.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 04:51:01 AM »
Personally, I like the idea of messing with people in this situation.  So far the most embarrassing thing I've bought in the name of Rifftrax was Over the Top, but the clerk didn't seem to care.  If I ever pick up Mareau or Battlefield Earth or Glitter or anything, I hope I get an odd look so I can go off on a rant about how they're the greatest films ever made.   ;D  It helps that I moved states and no one here really knows me.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 05:26:31 AM »
I rent whatever the hell I want.  If any clerks try to give me shit over it... I just remind them that they work at a video rental store.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
Clerk:
".... Well played, Mr. Bairman. Well played."