login

Author Topic: Is this out of sync for anyone else?  (Read 8085 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Is this out of sync for anyone else?
« on: February 04, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
EDIT: Below is the problem I had.  RVR II uses a different reauthoring method and had no problems.  Near as I can tell, it was a problem with Audacity 1.3.  Workaround is to convert the Rifftrax MP3 to WAV or AC3 format and use that instead.

So after doing the usual stuff of putting the movie's audio and the Rifftrax into Audacity, I listened for Mike's prompt.  "Unpause after The Halcyon Company logo disappears."  That's 27 seconds in.

So I delete the introduction, and leave in 27 seconds of silence.  Usually when I do this, the movie audio is out of sync by a second or two.  It was off by 12 seconds.

I managed to squeeze it in to sync with the 2nd sync line "D'ya think I'm gonna cure your cancer Serena?".  That should make everything else fall in to place.  It wasn't.  The next sync line, and another one around the 55 minute mark, were way off.

Also, everyone sounded really high pitched.

Yes I downloaded the NTSC version.  I also tried with the PAL MP3.  I couldn't get either to sync up.

My DVD came from Netflix, and has a runtime of 1:54:27.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5320
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Is this out of sync for anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »
Sounds like a possible bad download cause mine synced Perfectly in my Pinnacle Studio program.. :-\

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
Sounds like a possible bad download cause mine synced Perfectly in my Pinnacle Studio program.. :-\

How long is the MP3 supposed to be?  I'm seeing 1:40:42 in Audacity and 1:49:34 in Winamp.  That's weird.  Must be an Audacity problem.

Maybe if I start a new Audacity project...

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »

How long is the MP3 supposed to be?  I'm seeing 1:40:42 in Audacity and 1:49:34 in Winamp. 
Not sure but I know the very end the riff mp3 was 'cut off' but it was right as the movie was ending so I let that slide but all of Dis's sync lines were right on..

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »

How long is the MP3 supposed to be?  I'm seeing 1:40:42 in Audacity and 1:49:34 in Winamp.  That's weird.  Must be an Audacity problem.

I'm seeing 1:49:35 on the Mp3. If it sounds sped up, then something probably went wrong during the conversion from AC to wav. You might want to try that step again.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:52:51 PM »

I'm seeing 1:49:35 on the Mp3. If it sounds sped up, then something probably went wrong during the conversion from AC to wav. You might want to try that step again.

No, the movie audio is fine.  The riff sounds sped up.

But I just figured it out, I think.  I converted the Riff MP3 over to AC3 format with FFMPEGUI and imported it.  The length is 1:49:something and it sounds normal.  Now to see if it syncs.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »
Yep.  Converting the riff to AC3 format did it.  The volume went way down though.  No big deal, I can amplify it.  The sound levels across a Rifftrax MP3 are pretty even, so it should be easy.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:02:29 PM »
Glad you got it squared away. Just for the record, when I imported the RT MP3 into Audacity, it showed up as 48000Hz and it was sped up. I had to change it to 44100Hz to get it to sound right and sync up.

So anyway, I don't think you're only one who had issues with the file.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »
I asked our video guy to take a look at this.  He'll get back to you tomorrow.  We always synch up the MP3 to the video before we release these, when we make our sample, so their should not ever be a case of synch not working.  But when you're doing something other than just playing the MP3 and DVD, we can't really take into account all the variables that can arise.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:23:49 PM »
I asked our video guy to take a look at this.  He'll get back to you tomorrow.  We always synch up the MP3 to the video before we release these, when we make our sample, so their should not ever be a case of synch not working.  But when you're doing something other than just playing the MP3 and DVD, we can't really take into account all the variables that can arise.

It's them damn re-author folks causin' trouble again!

But seriously, thanks for looking out for us even though you're not obligated to.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 857
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »
Glad you got it squared away. Just for the record, when I imported the RT MP3 into Audacity, it showed up as 48000Hz and it was sped up. I had to change it to 44100Hz to get it to sound right and sync up.

Unless they fixed it already with a new file... I just downloaded it and it plays fine and shows up as the proper 44.1khz sampling rate.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

Unless they fixed it already with a new file... I just downloaded it and it plays fine and shows up as the proper 44.1khz sampling rate.

When this happened I was curious so I ran it through avinaptic and sure enough it showed up as 44100 but in Audacity, it was not-so-magically transformed into 48000. Who knows?

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:06:50 PM »

That's what it looks like on our end too, without us fixing anything.  Think we'll assume it works fine for standard use.

Offline Thrashalla

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 646
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:13:05 PM »
I just checked the mp3 file over on our end and it is indeed the proper 44.1k that we usually do. You had me for a moment there since I sync with the raw wav files that are at 48 and hitting the button to convert to an mp3 is so automatic that I don't think about it anymore (custom presets FTW)...I was ready to run to the office at 8pm and crank out a new file and everything. :P

Either way, sorry some of you are having issues. :-/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:15:00 PM by Thrashalla »
Any issues with the RiffTrax main page should be directed to support@rifftrax.com Attempts to engage with me directly about such matters will result in ridicule.

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 08:15:57 PM »
I blame 'Pantsless Kevin' :angry: