login

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 285404 times)

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 380
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2370 on: August 05, 2019, 07:39:50 AM »
I finally finished Ernest "Ready Player One" Cline's sophomore effort, Armada (aka The Last Starfighter: The Novel). Ugh, what a slog. I enjoyed Ready Player One a lot even though it was written poorly and nothing much happened until about 80 pages in. Only reason I got through Armada is because I love Mike Nelson & Connor's 372 Pages podcast. I came so close to giving up several times, but I decided to power through anyway. The closest I came to giving up is halfway through when it's revealed
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm pretty sure 70% of the book is just describing spaceships and robots and flight maneuvers with some sprinkled-in 80s pop culture references. The characters were just as one dimensional as in Ready Player One. I really did not care about anyone in the story. This seems like it could've been a short story. Not a full novel. At least now I can enjoy my reward of the podcast.

I forget what the stance is on audiobooks here btw, but I technically did not read it; I listened to the audiobook. Will Wheaton did a fine job for what he was given. I just haven't had the time to actually read anything with a one year old running around the house. And even though I only listened to it, I immediately want to read something better written now. If I can just find time to pick up that copy of Dune off my nighstand.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 08:04:06 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Imrahil

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7901
« Reply #2371 on: August 19, 2019, 10:34:18 PM »
I'm about halfway through Armada. Been there for about a year. Having much the same experience as you.

On a much more enjoyable note, I'm reading Kim Newman's Bloody Red Baron, which is really fun.  Half the fun is "spot the character origin," but it's also well written and a good story.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 541
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2372 on: August 20, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
After watching Good Omens again, I thought... you know, I might actually like reading the book it was based on. I got it on Kindle. Knowing how piss poor I am when it comes to reading I haven't got very far, but so far much of the stuff is word for word in the TV show.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2617
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2373 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
I splurged and got one of the 25 leather bound editions Alan Dean Foster had printed of his Mad Amos collection.  I don't think I've ever even held a leather bound book before, beautiful leather work, smells great, fancy box, cool endpapers.  It was pricey at $200 plus shipping.

It is a collection of all the short stories Foster has written over the years about a character named Mad Amos Malone, I've read a handful of them over the decades but some were in magazines I never found and collections I never bought so it's nice to have them all in one volume.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 255
« Reply #2374 on: August 23, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
Continuing with my space opera obession that started 3 or 4 years ago. Finished Frederik Pohl's Gateway trilogy aka The Heechee Chronicles. More recent space opera series I've read have been 600 pages plus each book, so a series of about 350 pages each was a nice change. That said, I thought all 3 books ended too abruptly. Great up until the rushed endings.
Just started book 4 of the trilogy (4th and 5th unplanned books were written several years after the original trilogy).