Author Topic: All things discworld  (Read 42831 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: All things discworld
« Reply #285 on: May 11, 2012, 10:54:52 PM »
Since I've read 3 Rincewind novels in a row I figured I'd go with Tripe's suggestion and read Wyrd Sisters.  And like magic, there it is on my Kindle....   And my PC, and my Kindle Fire........

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #286 on: May 12, 2012, 06:56:32 AM »
Awesome, not saying Equal Rites isn't worth reading, but Wyrd Sisters gives you the core of the Coven. I'd go read it after Lords and Ladies if I was doing it over (it does need to be read it prior to I Shall Wear Midnight at the very least).

So I received this email the other day:

Hi Nick,

We are interviewing author Terry Pratchett for the Goodreads monthly newsletter. I am asking his readers to submit questions about his upcoming science fiction novel written with Stephen Baxter, The Long Earth, his past work, and anything you're curious about in general. If you send me a question, we may be able to include it!

* You received this message because you gave 5 stars to a book by Terry Pratchett. To participate, please respond to this message with your question by Sunday, May 13.

I was wondering about plot lines or characters he's thought of but never been able to use or characters that he's wanted to revisit but never found the place for.

Any other questions people have?

Offline Gandalf Lundgren

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 159
  • "You shall not pass, I must break you!"
« Reply #287 on: May 15, 2012, 02:39:47 PM »
I'm not knowledgeable on the books but the games are great.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #288 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:37 PM »
Finally got around to reading Wyrd Sisters this week, awesome book.

Got a few other books I want to get to before my next Pratchett one, so plenty of time to decide witch one to get next.

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1547
« Reply #289 on: October 07, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
In doing more research to see when the next book in The Long Earth series will be released, I came across Choosing to Die.  Incredibly sad. (EDIT: Not just that Terry won't be with us much longer, but because the documentary does a good job of letting you put yourself in that situation.  It's a scary place to be, and I marveled at the bravery of those in the film).  It's good to see he's still writing and seems to be doing ok, but The Long Earth is an amazing book, and I very much want to read more in that word.

In fact, I think I have to say that I enjoyed it even more than most Discworld books (which I love dearly).  The pace is a lot different.  It gives you time to settle in and explore a whole new world(s), just as the characters are discovering and exploring new places.  Really makes you feel that sense of manifest-destiny that the settlers must have felt.  Much different than the quite well established Discworld.  And The Long Earth takes the time to really sit down and think about how these fundamental changes to our world would effect how people act and what they would do, instead of having a specific message in mind and then trying to create world around it that ends up failing to feel human.   

I wonder if Terry's decision to bring a partner on for this book had anything to do with his knowledge that he doesn't have long here, and that the idea is bigger than a single book.  In any case, it worked out wonderfully, and I recommend the book to anyone in this thread who has at least a slight interest in science fiction.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 05:18:49 PM by varietyofcells »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #290 on: October 07, 2012, 08:13:17 PM »
In doing more research to see when the next book in The Long Earth series will be released, I came across Choosing to Die.  Incredibly sad. (EDIT: Not just that Terry won't be with us much longer, but because the documentary does a good job of letting you put yourself in that situation.  It's a scary place to be, and I marveled at the bravery of those in the film).

Just watch this on YouTube, brings up way too many conflicting emotions for me.  Having watched 2 family members die from cancer and one from Alzheimer.  Alzheimer is the worst, it's bad for everyone the years it takes for the persons memory to go, but then the time after that the person is gone but their body lives on for years, making it worse for everyone else in the family.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2012, 09:28:20 AM »
Well the Discworld will continue, no matter what, should be interesting.

Also,

Lovely.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:32:01 AM by Tripe H. Redux »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Oooh. She's written some good video game stories and she's contributed to some articles and interviews on Gamasutra about the writing process that were really insightful. I think she'll do fine with Discworld.

Offline Kruge

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
  • FABRICATI DIEM PVNC!
    • brielmusik - my blog and music
« Reply #293 on: December 22, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
Well the Discworld will continue, no matter what, should be interesting.

Also,

Lovely.

THAT! is Terry's daughter?!?!

Whoa!

I love the Discworld, it's been a constant part of my life ever since "Die Farben der Magie" (the colour of magic) came out in Germany in 1985. Back then I already was a fan of Douglas Adams and had even read the English original of the Hitchhiker's Guide, but it was the Discworld that later kept me reading books in English (and that, alongside Star Trek and Babylon5 (the original videos were released about a year before the German dubs got broadcast over here) turned English into my "second first language").

Favourite characters... Oh dear. Who isn't? :D I love the Witches, Death&Company, the Ankh Morpork watch, the Wizards (*all* of them, Rincewind as well.), the Lancre Morrisk Men... :)

Pratchett writes the strongest female characters I ever came across in any fantasy story - from Tiffany to Esmeralda Weatherwax, they are brilliant.

What makes me re-read the books about once every three years or so is of course the fun I have with his characters and stories, but also the deep insight Terry has for what it means to be a human - even if he sometimes uses Dwarves and Trolls to explain it. His characters are alive and the Discworld ought to be a friggin real place, because it WORKS. :D

Offline Kruge

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
  • FABRICATI DIEM PVNC!
    • brielmusik - my blog and music
« Reply #294 on: December 22, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Read Wyrd Sisters instead. Equal Rites is a beta run with the characters.

To me Equal Rites is mostly a kind of prequel to the Tiffany Aching stories - with Granny Weatherwax having to deal with a young girl and all that. Also Eskarina - the girl - later re-appears in Tiffany's storyline.

That's one of the things that got me hooked early on - you *constantly* run into old friends, so to say. In the beginning it was mostly Death and CMOTDibbler, but there's Nobby and Visit in Hogfather, Vetinari having his fingers in all kinds of stuff, Lu Tze is brushing some dirt in some corner and so forth.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2013, 08:04:07 AM »
Now see, adapt that once and we can have the Ridcullys, like I was saying a moment ago on Facebook. :)

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6870
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2013, 09:17:19 AM »
New Science of Discworld book due out in April:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5185
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #297 on: April 28, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »
I haven't read any of the books, but I am familiar with the shape of the world, and that's pretty cool.  (I did get Good Omens for my birthday, though.  Not a Discworld book, but still).