Author Topic: All things discworld  (Read 45305 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3081
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: All things discworld
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2011, 08:04:26 PM »
Watched Hogfather, I like it a little bit more than Colour of Magic.  Going Postal isn't available on Netflix streaming but was only $4 on iTunes, downloading it tonight and will watch that one tomorrow night.

I've been looking at various articles on the order to read the books, but I usually like to read a series in the order it was written, to see how the author develops things.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2011, 11:22:10 PM »
Watched and loved the TV movie of Going Postal.  Nice to see the guy that played Jeff in Coupling in something else.  I might have to start with that book because I'm sure there's tons of stuff in the book that wasn't in the movie.  Off to the Amazon Kindle store I go...

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3320
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »
I got my copy of the new Discworld board game in the mail this week:

It's beautifully produced and really fun to play. It's made my wife interested in actually reading the books!
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »
I'm thinking of getting that once I see if Ann likes those sort of games (it's her birthday on Wednesday and I got her a similar one about the French Revolution).

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2011, 02:02:23 PM »
I'm thinking of getting that once I see if Ann likes those sort of games (it's her birthday on Wednesday and I got her a similar one about the French Revolution).

Awesome - Which game is it?

I got my copy of the new Discworld board game in the mail this week:

It's beautifully produced and really fun to play. It's made my wife interested in actually reading the books!

Interesting; do you need more than 2 to play?

It will play up to four, but it plays really well with two.

(There's a second Discworld game that came out at the same time:

I haven't played it, but the other one is by my favourite designer.)
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #245 on: October 24, 2011, 02:17:22 PM »

Awesome - Which game is it?
This one

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #246 on: October 24, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
Ah! Same designer too! I have about half of the games he's designed, but not that one.

Discworld is much lighter, from my understanding (A game with two players can easily take less than half an hour, all though I think it'll actually get a little longer once we get to know the game better).

Liberte is supposed to be excellent though. :)
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #247 on: October 24, 2011, 02:29:35 PM »
Yeah, looking at the board and the multiple routes to winning it does seem to have similar DNA.

I'm going to do a vid on Youtube about the personalities on the cards since there's a great review of the game on there but the bloke doing it says he doesn't know who most of the people are. So I thought a quick biographical survey might be interesting to people who are in the same boat. :)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #248 on: October 24, 2011, 05:47:45 PM »
FYI: I did get Going Postal for my Kindle and am loving the book even more than the TV movie.  ;D

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #249 on: October 24, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
Discworld is great. 

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #250 on: October 24, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
*Sorry to continue an off-topic conversation. I guess I should start a board game thread. I'd searched for one in the past and hadn't had any luck. I'll hang it up after this. ;)

Yeah, looking at the board and the multiple routes to winning it does seem to have similar DNA.

I'm going to do a vid on Youtube about the personalities on the cards since there's a great review of the game on there but the bloke doing it says he doesn't know who most of the people are. So I thought a quick biographical survey might be interesting to people who are in the same boat. :)

Cool idea! When I finally pick up a copy, I'd actually be interested in watching a video like that myself!

I don't know how into designer board games you are - maybe you already know all about Martin Wallace and his games - but if not, these are two that my wife and I really enjoy:

London - Set after the Great Fire and is all about the rebuilding of London. Works really well with two players.

A Few Acres of Snow - A two player only game about the war between the British and the French over Canada.

But I've had a hard time getting my gaming groups interested in Tinners' Trail:

His game about mining in Cornwall in the nineteenth century.

ANYWAY, the Discworld board game is really fun.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 06:01:54 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #251 on: October 24, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »
FYI: I did get Going Postal for my Kindle and am loving the book even more than the TV movie.  ;D

Yay!  Making Money is good too, and that would be the next logical step.  Does the Kindle version have the cool chapter illustrations?

After that you might be interested in The Truth, which is sort of similar (deals with industrialization, etc.).  I recommend all of them, of course, though I think Soul Music is my least favorite.

Really soul music?  How did you feel about moving pictures?

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #252 on: October 24, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »

Yay!  Making Money is good too, and that would be the next logical step.  Does the Kindle version have the cool chapter illustrations?

After that you might be interested in The Truth, which is sort of similar (deals with industrialization, etc.).  I recommend all of them, of course, though I think Soul Music is my least favorite.

Really soul music?  How did you feel about moving pictures?

I haven't read either of them in a while now, but I disliked Soul Music more than Moving Pictures. I also didn't really like the Hogfather that much. I don't really like Susan.
FINE

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #253 on: October 24, 2011, 06:16:07 PM »
See this is where the adaptation is superior to the book, I can take or leave Susan, but I love Michelle Dockery

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #254 on: October 24, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
See this is where the adaptation is superior to the book, I can take or leave Susan, but I love Michelle Dockery

Hey, I recognize that face! She was fantastic in Downton Abbey.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!