login

Author Topic: All things discworld  (Read 42803 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: All things discworld
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
I mean I'm not sure which adaptation has the cuter female lead because Spike is the lovely Claire Foy, some sort of contest would have to occur.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2011, 06:49:03 PM »
FYI: I did get Going Postal for my Kindle and am loving the book even more than the TV movie.  ;D
Yay!  Making Money is good too, and that would be the next logical step.  Does the Kindle version have the cool chapter illustrations?

Nope, no illustrations on the Kindle version.  They tend to not do them because of the limitations of e-ink.  It's a shame because I've gotten a few in Kindle format from the Gutenberg Project that have nice illustrations and you just have to load the book into the Kindle app on the PC to see them well.

See this is where the adaptation is superior to the book, I can take or leave Susan, but I love Michelle Dockery

Don't tell me Susan in the movie is more interesting than in the book, I was thinking about that one next just because of her character, and secondly, Death....

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2011, 06:49:57 PM »
I mean I'm not sure which adaptation has the cuter female lead because Spike is the lovely Claire Foy, some sort of contest would have to occur.

Bikini hot oil wrestling competition?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:02 PM »

Bikini hot oil wrestling competition?

I was just going to post that I'd like to see that contest, but now I'll say I'd pay big money to see that contest.... :o

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #259 on: October 24, 2011, 06:58:09 PM »
Claire's something else isn't she?  ;)

I really like Hogfather though as a book, I like all the religious philosophy ones.

• Compsognathus
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »
Moving  Pictures was okay, because I like CMOT Dibbler's role in it, and Gaspode is great.  Soul Music was just...kinda stupid? I dunno.  I'm not really a fan of rock music, so maybe that's it.  I get the references, but I just don't think they're funny; seems kind of beneath Pratchett, and the sort of thing any hack could do.

I found the two books remarkably similar in theme and delivery.  I like them both but neither are among my favorites.  Jingo is actually I think one of my least favorites.  Maybe equal rites too.   

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
That's too bad. The book has wonderful woodcut-style illustrations of the stamps at the beginning of the chapters (and the fact that it has chapters at all is an oddity in the non-juvie books).

I've looked at the stamps on the website, so I guess I'm only missing the stylization from the woodcut effect:

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/discworld/stamps.html

• Compsognathus
« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2011, 08:28:49 AM »
Ah, no that's pretty much what they look like. Cool!

I quite like Jingo, personally.  I like that it points out the stupidity of people who get caught up in racism and warmongering.

Yeah I get it, and I do like most of Vimes part in that, but the whole patrician angle in it I just found annoying.  However all of Pratchet's books have big themes.  Even Soul Music I would say is about the fanaticism that surrounds music and musicians.   

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #263 on: October 26, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
Finished Going Postal, great book...

I think I'll stick with my plan of getting the books for the movies I've watched first, then go from there.  So on to Hogfather for me...

• Compsognathus
« Reply #264 on: October 26, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »
That will be an interesting read order. 

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2654
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #265 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
Yeah, that seems like a less than ideal way to do it... But as long as you're enjoying them!
FINE

• Compsognathus
« Reply #266 on: October 26, 2011, 09:29:26 PM »
Its hard to not enjoy them. 

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2011, 03:43:57 PM »
Yeah, that seems like a less than ideal way to do it... But as long as you're enjoying them!

Since I've just watched the movies, while they are still fresh in my mind I'd like to see how they are different from the books.

Offline DysfunctionalElectricMonk

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3
  • I'll believe anything you want.....for a moment.
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2011, 03:44:25 PM »
Its hard to not enjoy them.  

one would have to suffer from a severe lack of a sense of humor to not enjoy Pratchett.

I seem to lean more towards the Watch books as I like imagining how folks would deal with a Carrot in everyday life.....go ahead and stop and imagine that for a moment....ok, pick yourself up off the floor and resume reading.  It really isnt as much diggin Vimes, Vimes is ok, especially reading about how he deals with being titled, but the interaction of the various guards with your regular citizens of AM are what really crack me up.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 03:47:15 PM by DysfunctionalElectricMonk »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
I'm very fond of the Watch books but the Witch books, for the most part, are still my favourites.