login

Author Topic: This forum is alive? If yes, please remove this topic and my account.  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6696
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
Re: This forum is alive? If yes, please remove this topic and my account.
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2010, 08:47:32 PM »
I'm curious as to what he was going to do if the forum was dead... I mean, an empty warehouse is fun to run around screaming in, but I don't think posting "WOOOOOOOOOOO" all over an empty message board would be quite as exhilarating.
I could make a cruel joke about a certain other forum, but I won't.
:(

Sorry.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 629
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2010, 08:51:08 PM »
I'm curious as to what he was going to do if the forum was dead... I mean, an empty warehouse is fun to run around screaming in, but I don't think posting "WOOOOOOOOOOO" all over an empty message board would be quite as exhilarating.
I could make a cruel joke about a certain other forum, but I won't.
:(

Sorry.
Wow.  I so don't get this.  Is there some sorta anti-RiffTrax forum or somethin?  Is it run by Joe Don Baker?  Cuz that'd be awesome.

Invader_quirk

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
No, he's referring to the QuipTracks board, which is gasping for life. It's not even cool enough to be run by Joe Don Baker.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »
No, he's referring to the QuipTracks board, which is gasping for life. It's not even cool enough to be run by Joe Don Baker.
Oh, of course.  And I even visited it earlier today!  C'mon, you just started it up.  You guys are like the first iRiffers to even have one, so good on ya for that much.  Anything is always cooler than nothing (Note to readers: don't dissect that last sentence too deeply).

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 03:27:01 PM »
Did a little research...

*Puts serious hat on*
Apparently there are bots going out to forums and registering for them, for the sole purpose of sending out e-mails to forum admins to say, "What?  You don't have a CAPTCHA thingie to help you register?  Then people can do stuff like this all the time!"  It's supposed to be a nudge to encourage forums to add ways to stop spambots from infiltrating forums and taking up valuable space.

*Removes serious hat, puts on green hat with clock and clapping hands on it*
But my question is, who is so desperate for free time that they invent a program to annoy forums, just to tell them they might be less annoyed if they added the most annoying security feature in the history of the world to their service?  I don't mind typing in phrases, but having those M.C. Escher-esque abominations like "bent overdatum" or "flogged patchouli" forced on us as a serious attempt to prevent hackery is just ridiculous.

But I did get to write the phrase "flogged patchouli," which I hope is the first time that's ever been written by a human being.   ;D
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »

You what you need.................. A MEMBERSHIP DRIVE

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Did a little research...

*Puts serious hat on*
Apparently there are bots going out to forums and registering for them, for the sole purpose of sending out e-mails to forum admins to say, "What?  You don't have a CAPTCHA thingie to help you register?  Then people can do stuff like this all the time!"  It's supposed to be a nudge to encourage forums to add ways to stop spambots from infiltrating forums and taking up valuable space.

*Removes serious hat, puts on green hat with clock and clapping hands on it*
But my question is, who is so desperate for free time that they invent a program to annoy forums, just to tell them they might be less annoyed if they added the most annoying security feature in the history of the world to their service?  I don't mind typing in phrases, but having those M.C. Escher-esque abominations like "bent overdatum" or "flogged patchouli" forced on us as a serious attempt to prevent hackery is just ridiculous.

But I did get to write the phrase "flogged patchouli," which I hope is the first time that's ever been written by a human being.   ;D
Sorry to bust your green hat with clock and clapping hands on it, but JACKH came awfully close when he said, "I'd say that is precisely the stereotype most widely held about environmentalists today, not some 60s-era picture of sandals and patchouli flogged to death by aging conservative radio talk show hosts." [source]

Still, it can be considered different enough, I suppose.  Keep rockin the hat, dude!

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
Actually, just did a Google search of "bent overdatum" and found that written on several different sites...and I thought I had made that up.  Turns out that means something in Dutch, but what, I don't know.  I don't know which is weirder...that both of those phrases could technically work as CAPTCHA phrases, or that I unknowingly channeled a Danish saying.

It would be a great band name, in any case.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 01:59:59 AM »
Actually, just did a Google search of "bent overdatum" and found that written on several different sites...and I thought I had made that up.  Turns out that means something in Dutch, but what, I don't know.  I don't know which is weirder...that both of those phrases could technically work as CAPTCHA phrases, or that I unknowingly channeled a Danish saying.

It would be a great band name, in any case.
According to Babelfish, it means "...are overdate".  I hesitated to tell you, but I cannot stress how powerful the internet is to people sometimes.  I literally had the thought today that Google may be man's greatest invention.  Or it could be a nice MLT, mutton lettuce and tomato, where the mutton is nice and lean.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:01:42 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 07:51:58 AM »
Did a little research...

*Puts serious hat on*

I can't make sense of that no matter how many times I read it.  Spambots are spamming forums to tell the forum administrators to install software that stops spammers?

I'm getting this image of mafia thugs going in to small stores, and telling the owners "There's a lot of mafia activity around here.  You should consider hiring a private security force, maybe buying some firearms and some extra strong glass, to protect your storefront."

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 544
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:30 AM »
Did a little research...

*Puts serious hat on*

I can't make sense of that no matter how many times I read it.  Spambots are spamming forums to tell the forum administrators to install software that stops spammers?

I'm getting this image of mafia thugs going in to small stores, and telling the owners "There's a lot of mafia activity around here.  You should consider hiring a private security force, maybe buying some firearms and some extra strong glass, to protect your storefront."

:D I think in this case, though, the mafia would also just happen to own the local private security firm.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:37 AM »
Did a little research...

*Puts serious hat on*

:D I think in this case, though, the mafia would also just happen to own the local private security firm.

Maybe that's the angle the spambots are going for too.  The spambot is trying to sell spambot prevention software.

Offline SJP

• Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
"Nice forum.  REAL shame if something were to...HAPPEN to it..."   ;D

Doctor Who?

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »
Maybe we should just use this threat to post our own random meaningless garbage.

I heard Ed Wood liked cats

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2010, 05:28:49 PM »

My cat's breath smells like cat food.