login

Author Topic: What Jedi Mind tricks did you learn??  (Read 15704 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: What Jedi Mind tricks did you learn??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2010, 09:56:17 AM »
BTW, Lucas re-edits the opening scroll of A New Hope....http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1927772

Help me out.....why is the NEW BLUE LIGHTSABER so important?

It's not. The College Humor guys just aren't that funny. And if you're going to piss and moan about about it, at least spell Hayden Christensen's name right.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 02:02:30 PM »
If you're going to put dimbulb storm troopers on hovering crotch rockets, maybe you shouldn't put racehorse blinders on their helmets:

"What's that? I can only see and hear things directly in front of me."
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:09:28 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 02:14:47 PM »
If you're going to put dimbulb storm troopers on hovering crotch rockets, maybe you shouldn't put racehorse blinders on their helmets:

"What's that? I can only see and hear things directly in front of me."

Yeah. What the hell is that for? UV protection?!?
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Macho

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 07:46:07 PM »

My George Lucas impression:
'Vision is a lot like running water; if you create a narrow channel it builds pressure, which is essentially what a pair of binoculars does for eyesight. The scout troopers would probably have a set of binoculars fixed in their helmets. It also makes them better at riding their rocket bikes because they're always looking straight ahead. Yeah...'

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 05:17:56 AM »

'Vision is a lot like running water; if you create a narrow channel it builds pressure, which is essentially what a pair of binoculars does for eyesight. The scout troopers would probably have a set of binoculars fixed in their helmets. It also makes them better at riding their rocket bikes because they're always looking straight ahead. Yeah...'

Wow. I thought you really were Lucas for a moment there.  :clap:

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 01:12:11 PM »

Wow. I thought you really were Lucas for a moment there.  :clap:

No, the real Lucas would have said, "If I didn't re-design the helmet I couldn't make a new action figure. And 'fuck you', that's why."

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 07:37:36 PM »
Wow.  Lucas is angry.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline bwolf

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »
To quote Simon Pegg in the show Spaced, "Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f'ing Shaft!"
Watching this movie again only confirmed it for me.

Offline Darth Macho

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:14 AM »
The Ewoks as a character concept are far and away stronger than any of the aliens in the prequels.

1) No racially insensitive stereotypes.
2) Recognizeable shape.
3) Physically interacting with cast members (aka 'Acting').
4) Plausible culture.
5) Useful for plot.
6) Comic relief not overdone.

In fact the sole nauseating aspect of the Ewoks is their theme music. Watch the scenes on mute and all of your anger/contempt will miraculously disappear.

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 12:55:01 AM »
No, the real Lucas would have said, "If I didn't re-design the helmet I couldn't make a new action figure. And 'fuck you', that's why."

:D  Good answer!

Let's just all suspend our disbelief and assume that there's some technologically advanced cyborg computer three-sixty in part of the lens that allows them to see all around them.  :humming Star Wars theme loudly so I can't hear the critisism of this statement:

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 08:03:13 AM »
The Ewoks as a character concept are far and away stronger than any of the aliens in the prequels.

You raises some good points but I still have a problem with creatures that small defeating the Empire's best men with sticks and rocks.  I know this is an allegory for Vietnam but the technological gap between the Viet Cong and the US forces was nowhere NEAR this large.  And both sides were roughly the same size whereas the Ewoks would need Prince style lift boots just to be crotch height.

I just don't buy it and didn't even as a kid.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 09:27:06 AM »

You raises some good points but I still have a problem with creatures that small defeating the Empire's best men with sticks and rocks.  I know this is an allegory for Vietnam but the technological gap between the Viet Cong and the US forces was nowhere NEAR this large.  And both sides were roughly the same size whereas the Ewoks would need Prince style lift boots just to be crotch height.

I never saw the Ewok/Sormtrooper battle as an allegory to Vietman (I don't give Lucas that much credit). As inept as the Stormtroopers had been shown to be already, this dialed it WAY up, and even as a kid it was too stupid to handle. Really, all it does is diminish the Rebellion if it that difficult for them to defeat these idiots. Just very, very poor idea.

Offline Darth Macho

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

I don't recall seeing the Ewoks blow up the shield generator thingy, nor do they throw the Emperor down the mineshaft, nor even fly into the Death Star and blow it up. Plotwise they 'even the odds' between the heroes and the villians, saving the former from inescapable doom.

Or to put it in fanboy -- the Ewok Attack : Return of the Jedi :: Han Solo shooting Darth Vader's wingman in the Death Star trench : A New Hope.

Again, it's the cutesy heroic music that curdles the bile of fans watching the Ewok scenes. See it on mute and you'll accept them fighting the Stormtroopers.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 01:41:21 PM »
Or to put it in fanboy -- the Ewok Attack : Return of the Jedi :: Han Solo shooting Darth Vader's wingman in the Death Star trench : A New Hope.

Grrr....you had to remind me.  Why shoot the wingman instead of the lead - who was 99.9% certain to be the one drawing a bead on Luke?  Especially since it's wasn't a standard TIE fighter - signifying that it was probably someone important in the Empire?

Again, it's the cutesy heroic music that curdles the bile of fans watching the Ewok scenes. See it on mute and you'll accept them fighting the Stormtroopers.

It's the cutesy-ness they're trying to put forth with the Ewoks while they're doing things like trying to roast people alive, for instance....

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 01:52:41 PM »
Why can't Ewoks be cute and eat people? There are lots of cute man-eating things in nature.