login

Author Topic: What Jedi Mind tricks did you learn??  (Read 15446 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3791
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
What Jedi Mind tricks did you learn??
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
I learned that even after 28 years since this movie's release, I Still enjoy it; even more so now that it's riffed :highfive:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: What Jedi Mind tricks did you learn??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 02:16:09 PM »
I learned that even after 28 years since this movie's release, I Still enjoy it; even more so now that it's riffed :highfive:

I am afraid that the Ewoks will instill new hatred in me that was not there years ago.   I am hoping for the best!

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:16:31 PM »
Not a joke or anything that the riff pointed out, but it crossed my mind watching it this time that if Luke had been weak and turned to the Dark Side it would have been a short stint being evil.  It would have been like:

Luke: "Okay, sure, I'll be evil."

Emperor: "Excellent!  Now, to make the finger lightening, all you have to do is close your eyes, think of something you hate-."

<Death Star blows up>
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:30:37 PM »
I learned that Jedi powers allow you to walk around and fight at high noon on a desert planet in pure black woolen clothing without so much as breaking a sweat...much less die of heat exhaustion as most people would.....

I learned that Princess Leia isn't much on manicures (her hand on Han's shoulder when he tells her he thinks he won't see the Falcon again)....

I learned that the Empire's downfall was pretty much Stormtrooper armor that couldn't even stand up to a hit with the branch of a tree.....

Not a joke or anything that the riff pointed out, but it crossed my mind watching it this time that if Luke had been weak and turned to the Dark Side it would have been a short stint being evil.  It would have been like:

Luke: "Okay, sure, I'll be evil."

Emperor: "Excellent!  Now, to make the finger lightening, all you have to do is close your eyes, think of something you hate-."

<Death Star blows up>

Would the things he hates be Ben and Yoda for not bothering to warn him about the Emperor's ability to do that?

(Seriously, Lucas...WTF????)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 714
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
Good lord, has it really been 28 years? I remember seeing this in the theater when it was first released, and I'm "only" 34.

And yeah, it always bugged me that all that time spent with the Emperor is kind of pointless since he would have been killed anyway.

That, and the fact that when Luke looks out the window he sees the space battle from the side, even though the Rebel ships are between the Death Star and the Star Destroyers. That's always bugged me too.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5653
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 06:03:49 PM »
I learned that Leia is litter.

I learned that Robin Williams is an Ewok.

I learned that the Stormtroopers weren't defeated so much by the force of the Ewoks as it was the force of their own stupidity. Ok, it really wasn't that much of a surprising lesson.

I learned that bad screenwriters love the idea of a primitive culture defeating a more technologically advanced one, no matter how implausible. And will lower the intelligence of the adversary as much as they need to in order to make that happen. (Seriously, that is the ONLY reason the Rebels won)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
I learned that Jedi powers allow you to walk around and fight at high noon on a desert planet in pure black woolen clothing without so much as breaking a sweat...much less die of heat exhaustion as most people would.....

Okay, I gotta call you on this one.

It's Luke's hometown. He's used to the temperatures. (Plus he spent the last few months on Dagobah too, so it's a nice dry heat for him.) He's like those folks from Phoenix who put on a jacket when it gets below 70.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3791
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »
I also learned that all the added CGI crap did Nothing to make me enjoy this movie anymore than before..
In Fact, I'd rather watch my original versions of episodes 4, 5, & 6 on VHS in all honesty :-\

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
I also learned that all the added CGI crap did Nothing to make me enjoy this movie anymore than before..
In Fact, I'd rather watch my original versions of episodes 4, 5, & 6 on VHS in all honesty :-\

Ooooooh yeah, especially Jedi.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »
I learned that Princess Leia isn't much on manicures (her hand on Han's shoulder when he tells her he thinks he won't see the Falcon again)....

Wow. Good eye!

By the way, I thought the coke nail was supposed be on the pinkie finger.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »

Okay, I gotta call you on this one.

It's Luke's hometown. He's used to the temperatures. (Plus he spent the last few months on Dagobah too, so it's a nice dry heat for him.) He's like those folks from Phoenix who put on a jacket when it gets below 70.

True....but if the heat wasn't an issue to them, why were they all dressed in light colors and fabrics in A New Hope?

I'm not even trying to understand why everyone on Tattooine dresses like Jedis or vice versa anymore.  And I know it's supposedly symbolic of Luke still being in danger of being another Vader....

BTW, Lucas re-edits the opening scroll of A New Hope....http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1927772

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »
True....but if the heat wasn't an issue to them, why were they all dressed in light colors and fabrics in A New Hope?

I'm not sure why they did it, but color apparently doesn't matter as much as the weight of the fabric and how it's layered; I've seen pictures of Bedouins and Berbers wearing black robes.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 03:28:03 PM »

Wow. Good eye!

LMFAO!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Lovye

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Always and Forever: Disembaudio Squadio
    • S2*
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 10:12:27 PM »
BTW, Lucas re-edits the opening scroll of A New Hope....http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1927772

Help me out.....why is the NEW BLUE LIGHTSABER so important?

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »

Wow. Good eye!

LMFAO!

"That's just what they're expecting us to do...."    ;)

(at the time we thought it weird that they'd let her keep that during filming....and now we're wondering how with all the CGI Lucas did since he didn't wipe that out of existence....)