login

Author Topic: 3D TVs in 2010  (Read 4949 times)

MontyServo

Re: 3D TVs in 2010
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 11:11:11 AM »
Yes, DLP TV's will need a bulb replacement at some point.  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?   ???

Because it's $100 now while you're thinking of buying it.

Two years from now when you need it to keep your expensive TV working - watch it suddenly get more expensive.

No, my point is, what does this have to do with the topic of 3D television?  3D won't be available on DLP only.  They have announced Plasma and LCD models with the capability.  I'm not sure why the issue with DLP bulb life would be used as an argument against 3D TV.  If that is what he was doing.  I'm past the point of being confused now.   ;D

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:51 AM »
All this talk of $12,000 TV's and $1000 PS4's is just pulling numbers out of thin air.

My 46" Samsung TV (that is over a year old) is already 3D ready.  I just need to buy the 3D add-on kit when it becomes available. There was talk at CES of a firmware upgrade that will make the PS3 able to play the 3D Blu Ray discs. (So no need to buy a new Blu Ray player.)  Dreamworks has already announced Monsters Vs Aliens as their first 3D Blu Ray due this year.  And you can bet that Avatar will also be released on 3D Blu Ray day and date with it's home video debut.

And these in home 3D set-ups will have liquid crystal shutter glasses which should allow for a richer 3D experience than what is in theaters now.

I'm very excited to see how this plays out this year.

well $1200 plus $100 every 2 years still sounds a little too much for a TV that doesn't have as good a picture.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here, Doc.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that the picture quality will be lesser on these TV's.

Basically these TV's have to have a really fast refresh rate to switch between the left and right image that will sync up with your shutter glasses.  The picture will still be full HD.  And, because you are seeing each image separately, it won't have that washed out, like you are looking through sunglasses, color that you get at the theater.

My 3D ready TV has the port that will connect to the transmitter box.  This box will send the signal to the glasses that will enable the glasses to sync up with the program.   Sony announced at CES that the PS3 will get a firmware update to be able to do 3D Blu Ray and 3D PS3 games

The kit for my TV costs $200. (Includes transmitter and 2 pairs of glasses)  I have been holding off on buying it because there has been no reason to yet.  But with Monsters Vs. Aliens and Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs already announced for Blu Ray 3D, and Avatar, and Toy Story 3 likely on the way.  Plus a lot of new games for the PS3 will have 3D modes.  I'll be getting one soon.

This technology is already available.  It is only now that we are starting to see companies make a push to release programming that takes advantage of the technology.

At least this is how I understand it to be.   Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.  ;D

I believe the HDMI standard is still being worked on... so you will have to wait...  This is just what I read in the latest Home Electronic though. Not to mention Sony still needs to release the PS3 update to allow us to watch 3D Blu Ray on our 3D TVs.

Edit: I obviously meant Electronic House... whoops... http://www.electronichouse.com/
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 11:29:51 AM by Minnesota »

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »
Haha follows my own link above: looks like one interesting tidbit was on the main page. Mitsubishi is going 3D in late Spring of 2010 :) Guess they figured out all that HDMI standard stuff recently. :)

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/mitsubishi_develops_3d_blu-ray_adapter_for_tvs/C198

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 11:42:40 AM »
We did the math and you could buy 12 years worth of dlp backlights and the tv would still be cheaper than a high end non-3d model of similar size. Also the bulbs used to be $400 each so it's possible they would get even cheaper. I had no issue with the color/brightness. I think only videophiles care about that.  The only problem with the tv my wife's stepdad bought is that it had a "sharpen" mode on by default which made sd tv look terrible and motionblurred. Turning off that feature fixed it.

To my knowledge the newest hdmi standard will have a pin for a 3d signal. I think right now you have to turn your tv into 3d mode using a menu but I never tried it. The pin would be used for syncing/turning on 3d automatically. The current form of 3d should  be supported  on newer devices.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 12:15:47 PM »
I know I already put in my two cents about the Mitsubishi but it bears repeating that the picture looks VERY dim and yes we optimized the settings visa-vi a google search so dont tell me it was the settings. For such a large TV it was very underwelming. I have learned to deal with DLP as a cheap option (its what I have for my projector) but when it comes to talking about TV Tech thats all the Mitsubishi will ever be... a cheap option.