Author Topic: "old" games being taken offline by EA... time to upgrade.  (Read 1776 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
"old" games being taken offline by EA... time to upgrade.
« on: January 05, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
Looks like last years copy of Madden is being taken offline... what a bunch of crap. On a sidenote: Why do people even pay for Xbox live if Microsoft doesnt host the game server?

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a193733/ea-plans-to-shut-down-older-servers.html

EA plans to shut down older servers

Monday, January 4 2010, 9:48am EST

Electronic Arts has revealed that it will be closing down the servers for a number of older sports titles.

As of February 2, 25 EA titles will no longer be playable online, with some titles likely to be unavailable before this date.

A statement on EA's website read: "Servers for the games listed below will be shut down on the indicated dates. You may continue to play the games online up until these dates, but certain community programs may begin to close down prior to the shutdown dates."

The games to be affected are:

UEFA Champions League 07 PC and x360
Facebreaker x360 and PS3
Fantasy Football 09 x360 and PS3
FIFA 07 PSP, PS2, PC
Fight Night Round 3 PS2
Madden 08 Wii
Madden 08 PC
Madden 09 Xbox1
Madden 09 Wii and PSP
March Madness 07 x360
NBA 07 PSP, x360
NBA 08 PS2, PSP, Wii
NBA 09 Wii - Europe only
NBA Street (2007) PS3 and x360
NCAA Football 08 PS2
NCAA Football 09 PS2
NASCAR 08 PS2
NASCAR 09 PS2
NASCAR 09 PS3 and x360 - Europe Only
NFL Tour PS3 and x360
NHL 07 PSP and x360
NHL 08 PC
Tiger Woods 07 PC
Madden 09 x360 and PS3
Madden 07 Xbox 360

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 201
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: "old" games being taken offline by EA... time to upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:22:42 PM »
See, this is why online achievements and trophies suck.  Granted, I don't OWN any of these, but still...
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:55:17 PM »
Well it must cost a lot of money to host all of those games so if there are not enough people playing the old version I don't see what else EA could do.  Sure it sucks for people who have not gotten the new versions but that is life.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:31:48 PM »
If these were games with a half-life of more than about six-weeks, this might be angering news, but as it is...

I mean, if you buy one of these games, you're buying a product with the expiration date printed right on the front of the box. In a way, it's an almost refreshing level of honesty, as other types of games don't bother to tell you if they have no replay value.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:34:33 PM »
I've started to abandon EA since last year.. I don't know. They just doesn't seem to be like what they were years ago.

In fact, instead of buying of buying NBA Live 2010 from EA, i bought NBA 2k10 from 2ksports. way way way better!

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »
I hate that EA holds the rights to college basketball. 2k is so much more my style... although I cant play most sports games on an xbox controller, its gotta be ps3 for me.

Offline FLOCK of RABID SHEEP?!?!

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:28 PM »
well this is one point in general against EA in regards to computer games it produces and such things as their copy protection program, but that is something for another thread.