login

Author Topic: The latest insult to Appalachian life - "Justified" - new FX show  (Read 7347 times)

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Ultra Rural America - the part that no one from rural, urban, or suburban America gets or cares about unless there is some sensational story to be told, and then it is a completely overdramatized, grossly misrepresented portrayal of reality.  Why?  So peole will watch.

Six months ago, Diana Sawyer did a 20/20 piece on the area of Kentucky I grew up in, and now the minority of people who actually watch 20/20 think everyone from rural Kentucky is a toothless, uneducated, shameless, drug addicted moron too stupid and lazy to get a job or a life.  And we give our babies Mountain Dew in their bottle.

Now, FX has a new late night, TV-MA show that totally rips off the concept of Walking Tall - a US Marshall goes home to Harlan, KY to clean up the place.  Much like the set of "The Office" looks and feels nothing like Scranton, PA because its actually southern California, the dramatic representation of the MOUNAIN town of Harlan, KY also looks oddly like the rolling hills of southern California.  Much like all mystery meats taste like chicken, all places dramatically depicted on TV somehow look like southern California.

And the couple of horribly clips I saw had terible, forced lines, overacting, and every redneck stereotype Jeff Foxworthy has ever uttered, mixed with every action hero cliche known to man.  So, I present, with no further delay, a clip of the worst show ever...about Harlan, KY.
http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2009/12/15/getting-a-little-more-justified/

"I love you Braaaaaaaaaak!!!"

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
Re: The latest insult to Appalachian life - "Justified" - new FX show
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 07:39:56 PM »
People from New Jersey see "Justified" and say "Wow, that's just crazy. How do those people live like that?" But then they see an episode of "Jersey Shore" and say to themselves "Oh, we don't live like that. That's stupid."

People in Los Angeles watch "Jersey Shore" and say "Wow, that's just crazy. How do those people live like that?" But then they see an episode of "LA Ink" and say to themselves "Oh, we don't live like that. That's stupid."

We all do it. It's stupid. Big stupid.

The Answer: I dunno.
My suggestion: Stop watching TV.

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:57:11 PM »
Aside from the religious aspects of their lifestyle, I am strongly considering becoming Amish, or moving to a third world country and living with a native tribe that has never been exposed to American pop culture...you know, somewhere so absolutely remote that, if a nuclear holocaust wiped out the entire civilized world, it would take them a year or two to find out about it, and then only because there was no more garbage floating down their river, which meant something had changed upstream.

Sounds like a movie concept...

Offline MWolf

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
  • The Super Best Friends! Freedom of Speech
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:22 AM »
I believe the smart people in Kentucky have been pushed out of the state along time ago. Not saying that there still aren't intelligent people in Kentucky. But they have gone into hiding as it seems...
(a joke)

But nothing to really get upset over right? With all the freedoms and such.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 12:27:07 PM by MWolf »
For All of Humanity

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »
One of the most intelligent, civilized societies to exist in Kentucky was that of the Cherokee indi....I mean, Native Americans.  Then came the famous entrance into the state by Daniel Boone and company through Cumberland Gap, and the commonwealth sort of went to hell from there.  A healthy dose of xenaphobia could have been good for the native peoples of America.

The history of Kentucky, much like the history of the world, has been dominated by stories of greed, injustice, and ouright stupidity conquering over intelligence.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 826
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 02:23:01 PM »
I will still give it a couple of episodes since I am a fan of Elmore Leonard.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
I've watched the trailer a few times, and I STILL have no idea what is being mumbled at the start of the trailer....

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »
He said, "Debbie marbles too pelt men in.  Blue lice crotch antonym pain."  Its a mountain expression.  You wouldnt get it.  :rimshot:

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »
He said, "Debbie marbles too pelt men in.  Blue lice crotch antonym pain."  Its a mountain expression.  You wouldnt get it.  :rimshot:

Ah, it all makes sense now! ;)

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 09:54:57 PM »
I dunno, I grew up in a rural area and I sure as hell loves me my Mountain Dew... although I stopped buying it as much after they switched to that abortion of a logo they have now (please run your course and DIE, "mtn dew").

But yeah, I can tell you not everyone from the country is a braindead, Jesus-fetishizing hick. Just enough to make it SEEM that way. It doesn't take too many, because rednecks really make their presence known.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 08:30:58 PM »
I dunno, I grew up in a rural area and I sure as hell loves me my Mountain Dew... although I stopped buying it as much after they switched to that abortion of a logo they have now (please run your course and DIE, "mtn dew").

But yeah, I can tell you not everyone from the country is a braindead, Jesus-fetishizing hick. Just enough to make it SEEM that way. It doesn't take too many, because rednecks really make their presence known.

Kind of like cold, nasty, rude people in New England or tree-hugging pot smokers in California.  I tried really hard to think of another example, but pretty much everywhere else in the US has rednecks.  (Florida doesnt count - its basically overran with Eastern Seaboard/New Emglander snowbirds.)

Of course, rednecks differ greatly by region.  A redneck in Texas is a totally different creature than a Pennsylvania redneck or a Wisconsin redneck.  Harlan, KY has its own unique species of the redneck known as the Appalachian Oddity Redneck, also found in West Virginia - we play banjo music, work in Coal mines, ride 4-wheelers, and have bad teeth, and dwell in doublewide trailers a mile up the side of a mountain, and while we cant name all 50 states, we can tell you exactly how many games the local college team won and lost, and by how many points.  EG - Everyone thinks I went to school at the University of Kentucky because I am all the time weating UK shirts.  Nope.  I just like their team.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:34:55 PM by LordZordec »

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2010, 08:00:50 AM »
Now, FX has a new late night, TV-MA show that totally rips off the concept of Walking Tall - a US Marshall goes home to Harlan, KY to clean up the place.  Much like the set of "The Office" looks and feels nothing like Scranton, PA because its actually southern California, the dramatic representation of the MOUNAIN town of Harlan, KY also looks oddly like the rolling hills of southern California.  Much like all mystery meats taste like chicken, all places dramatically depicted on TV somehow look like southern California.

Not true. Some places depicted on TV look suspiciously like Vancouver.  ;D

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 06:32:26 PM »
On Hawaii Five-O, OTOH, Southern California, Tokyo, Miami, Chicago, Greece, and New York all looked like Oahu for some strange reason.

(Not to mention the characters that would die and then four shows later the actor would be back playing some other character.  There were also the occasional episodes shot in Magnum PI's house, you know, before Robin Masters' bought the place.)

These shows seemed a lot cooler before we learned the production tricks and had our innocense stolen.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
Watched the first episode on FX yesterday....... REALLY damned good.

Offline LordZordec

• Big Montana
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 07:06:10 PM »
This show is going to catch on, isnt it? 

Oh well, when I go on job interviews and people are like, "So, why did you leave Harlan, KY?"
"Did you ever see that show Justified?"
"Oh...well good for you..."

The funniest part of the show was when the dude gets out his cell phone and makes a phone call - and one would not laugh at that unless they had ever been there.