Author Topic: How do I uninstall RiffTrax player with all these errors?  (Read 3005 times)

Offline JCSpencer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
How do I uninstall RiffTrax player with all these errors?
« on: December 29, 2009, 05:04:18 AM »
I used to use RiffTrax player no prob about a year ago. For some reason, after reformatting my hard drives and reinstalling it, I get numerous errors while trying to play it - usually stack-related errors or "no response" errors. So, I tried to uninstall it, but I get the same errors. It won't uninstall even from Add/Remove programs. I just get "timed out" errors, and I have no idea why it's trying to connect with something off my computer just for the purpose of uninstalling. Anyhoo, the only remaining solution I know of is to delete it directly from Program Files, but I know that's a messy solution and it's not removing 100% of the associated files. So what all do I need to track down to completely remove it from my system?

It's too bad there are so many errors. I've bought a lot of RiffTrax, and I love this stuff. But at present it's too much of a pain to sync the audio to the movies, especially if I need to keep getting up from my computer and have to pause it and then re-sync it. Is there an expected launch date for the "new and improved" RiffTrax Player? Are there any other third-party solutions available?

I know it's kind of walking a fine line to bitch about something that's free, but then again I am paying for the RiffTrax themselves and there are currently (of which I am aware) no other convenient and hassle-free methods of playing them. I'm putting a hold on buying RiffTrax until a more suitable solution can be found, because at present, getting it to run well and keeping it running well is too distracting and takes too much of the enjoyment out of it.

P.S. - Loved the live performance! Don't think I've ever laughed so hard, and was definitely the best money I spent on entertainment in a long time. My uncle, who went with me, concurs.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
Re: How do I uninstall RiffTrax player with all these errors?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:18 AM »
I used to use RiffTrax player no prob about a year ago. For some reason, after reformatting my hard drives and reinstalling it, I get numerous errors while trying to play it - usually stack-related errors or "no response" errors. So, I tried to uninstall it, but I get the same errors. It won't uninstall even from Add/Remove programs. I just get "timed out" errors, and I have no idea why it's trying to connect with something off my computer just for the purpose of uninstalling. Anyhoo, the only remaining solution I know of is to delete it directly from Program Files, but I know that's a messy solution and it's not removing 100% of the associated files. So what all do I need to track down to completely remove it from my system?

It's too bad there are so many errors. I've bought a lot of RiffTrax, and I love this stuff. But at present it's too much of a pain to sync the audio to the movies, especially if I need to keep getting up from my computer and have to pause it and then re-sync it. Is there an expected launch date for the "new and improved" RiffTrax Player? Are there any other third-party solutions available?

I know it's kind of walking a fine line to bitch about something that's free, but then again I am paying for the RiffTrax themselves and there are currently (of which I am aware) no other convenient and hassle-free methods of playing them. I'm putting a hold on buying RiffTrax until a more suitable solution can be found, because at present, getting it to run well and keeping it running well is too distracting and takes too much of the enjoyment out of it.

P.S. - Loved the live performance! Don't think I've ever laughed so hard, and was definitely the best money I spent on entertainment in a long time. My uncle, who went with me, concurs.

They are currently working on a new Rifftrax Player, but there's no specifics as to when that will be available. Many customers use a combination of the VLC Media Player and Windows Media Player when they watch them on the computer. I don't find manually syncing them to be very troublesome, but some people like re-authoring discs so they don't have to worry about losing sync that way. If you don't like manually syncing them or re-authoring discs, why don't you try the VODs and DVDs until a new player is available? No sync problems there.

Offline JCSpencer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
I'm using something similar to that now, but it does get a little annoying, especially when having to pause two separate players and then get them back into sync again after un-pausing them. It's not that much work I suppose, but more work then simply popping in a DVD and relaxing. Besides, I'm OCD, and it's hard for me to "settle" on a less-than-perfect solution.

But anyway, I guess my real problem at the moment is figuring out how to completely remove the old RiffTrax player. Anyone with good technical knowledge that can point me to all the locations the installer would've made changes? As I said, the uninstaller is just as buggy as the player and crashes while I try to uninstall, meaning I have to do it manually.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 236
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 07:06:36 PM »
Yeah, sorry - there is an "uninstallation" thread on the Player board. Not sure if that will help you. Have you read it? http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,13863.0.html

Offline JCSpencer

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:17:50 AM »
Yeah, sorry - there is an "uninstallation" thread on the Player board. Not sure if that will help you. Have you read it? http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,13863.0.html

No I haven't. Thank you for the link. I didn't see that. Nothing to apologize for though. I realize that RiffTrax is trying to do us a favor by providing a hassle free player, I'm just a little OCD and if I can't get it perfect, I get agitated. I wish I had the technical know-how to help with the new player. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. Thanks again for all the replies and suggestions. I'll go check out that thread now.