Author Topic: cursing?  (Read 7747 times)

Offline deadking13

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 4
cursing?
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:24:40 AM »
i was kind of surprised upon hearing this riff to hear a few four letter words mentioned.  I'm not complaining.  i'm generally the most foul-mouthed person i know.  in fact, it was kind of refreshing to hear bill say a few wash-your-mouth-out-with-soap words.  i was just wondering why i can hear slightly more rowdy humour in this riff than other R-rated riffs.  every once in a while i'll hear a bleeped curse word on a riff or an almost curse word.  but to my knowledge this is the only riff with four letter words in it. 

MontyServo

Re: cursing?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that Mike wasn't in this one.

Offline deadking13

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 01:59:31 PM »
mike does seem to come off as a tad conservative.  he ought to let loose every once in a while, scream obscenities, it's good for the health. 

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 66
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:05:14 PM »
mike does seem to come off as a tad conservative.  he ought to let loose every once in a while, scream obscenities, it's good for the health. 

Yeah, I was really surprised when, on a Rifftrax, he referred to someone as being "Retarded". That's pretty heavy for Mike (maybe not actual Mike but performer Mike).

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 04:46:32 PM »
Well, keep in mind what movie this is too.  Anyone offended by a bad word is likely never to touch this dvd, so why not?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »
Yeah it seems more to do with the flick than if Mike was there or not.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline deadking13

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »

well i henceforth put in my vote for more "saw-esque" movies.  i'm a huge horror fan and am delighted when two things i love collide. 

spaceforarent

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
Don't the generally try making the riff the same rating as the movie?

MontyServo

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 08:25:56 PM »
Well, keep in mind what movie this is too.  Anyone offended by a bad word is likely never to touch this dvd, so why not?

I'd be willing to bet that if Mike was also riffing that movie, that those jokes wouldn't have made it into the final product as worded.  Mike just seems like the type of guy who wouldn't want to go there.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »

I'd be willing to bet that if Mike was also riffing that movie, that those jokes wouldn't have made it into the final product as worded.  Mike just seems like the type of guy who wouldn't want to go there.

Willing to be that Mike wouldn't riff this movie . . .
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 02:32:28 AM »

well i henceforth put in my vote for more "saw-esque" movies.  i'm a huge horror fan and am delighted when two things i love collide. 

You should check out the iRiffs by Hor-RIFF-ic Productions whenever they come back online.

Watchman

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 04:29:27 PM »
Add my vote. There's something really amusing to me about Riffing a violent horror film, and they rarely touch these. Hostel II could be a riot.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:55:59 PM »

To be honest, I can understand.  I've done a few iRiffs myself, and for the most part, I DON'T include swearing.  I'm not any sort of Ned Flanders (listen to me while I'm driving and you'll hear me yell out all sorts of unmentionables), but I just don't like to include swearing and foul language when I write.  Some of it is just the way I grew up (sort of a 'Will Smith' sort of thing), but at other times it just smacks of lazy writing.  Tarantino gangsters may talk that way, but most people on a professional level just don't.  Unless they're just crazy.

But I'm guessing that's Mike's approach as well...or, maybe he just wrote for TV family-friendly programming for too long.  Either way, sometimes it's hardest NOT to swear and come up with a good joke.  Believe me, it was very difficult to try and keep an "Explicit Content" sticker off of "Ice Pirates," since PG means something very different today than it did in 1984 (such as allowing clothes-staying-on sex, racial slurs, and a pimp robot), but damn if I didn't try to figure out ways to poke fun without resorting to profanity.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Watchman

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »
"But I'm guessing that's Mike's approach as well...or, maybe he just wrote for TV family-friendly programming for too long."

Don't forget MST3K The Movie, though, he's the one who said "Whoop de shit".

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
"But I'm guessing that's Mike's approach as well...or, maybe he just wrote for TV family-friendly programming for too long."

Don't forget MST3K The Movie, though, he's the one who said "Whoop de shit".

I thought that was Kevin's line.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing