login

Author Topic: Syfy president disses MST3K  (Read 9681 times)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
Re: Syfy president disses MST3K
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
TV in this country has ALWAYS been in the business of selling ads. It's what they do.

Beg to differ old boy

I did say IN THIS COUNTRY.

Hey Johnny boy is very passionate about his Telly. :D

Doctor Who?

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 02:17:38 PM »
Fans don't like it when someone bad mouths a show they are fans of to the press?!  THIS SUCH SHOCKING NEWS!  I have never heard of such a thing before.

Offline MWolf

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
  • The Super Best Friends! Freedom of Speech
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:37 PM »
One question. What the F is Syfy and why do I give a sht?

Joking. But I only ever watched SciFi channel because of MST3k. They just replay bad movies bad shows and badness the rest of the time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 06:01:01 PM by MWolf »
For All of Humanity

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
You guys really need to layoff the station that brought us "Mansquito". Thx

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »

:D

Nice shootin' Tex.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUkmIlBNM8M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eUkmIlBNM8M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2009, 07:19:40 PM »
Siffy original movies have reached a state of perfection that goes perfect with booze.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2009, 07:20:43 PM »

Nice shootin' Tex.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eUkmIlBNM8M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eUkmIlBNM8M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
Would you like to rent the movie, sir?
Why? I just saw the best part. Ha ha ha.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 754
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Clarence Boddicker: Civil War Re-creationist

i'd buy that for a dollar!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2009, 08:13:42 PM »
TV in this country has ALWAYS been in the business of selling ads. It's what they do.

But the presentation of entertainment and information that the viewing audience will be willing to watch and enjoy is a necessary element to get people to see those ads...so there I guess.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5647
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »
Oh, I completely agree that in theory, better programs sell better ads.  But I think in reality that doesn't always correlate, and so it makes some sort of sense to but businessmen in charge of programming instead of artists.
It only makes sense to businessmen.

Most people are willing to watch shit, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't like better programming if it was offered to them on the same availability and awareness that networks give their stupid shows.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
I guess I don't get the debate here... The Sci-Fi exec (or SyFy or Siffy or butternutfuckcakes or whatever they call their network now) was perfectly justified in his response. Let's face facts people... MST3K only exists because it landed in the perfect storm of cable expansion. The creators themselves have always said that they would never have made it if there weren't new cable channels popping up and desperate for content. This was like the internet bubble before the internet.

Sure, BBI did a great thing... made a great show... hung around for a long time and built up a very deserved cult following... but that's all it ever was and ever will be... a little cult following. Do you think Sci-Fi banished MST3K to 9am on Saturday mornings because they were purposely trying to piss off the tens of millions of people watching every week? No, they moved it there because nobody was watching... nobody at least in regards to numbers that TV execs care about... The mass media universe passed up MST3K... While they could have probably survived well enough in their little niche timeslot with their niche audience... Sci-Fi made more money going a different direction... early on it was selling airtime to infomercial hucksters... and that's neither their fault or BBI's fault... it just is what it is...

anais.jude

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 04:22:56 AM »
Oh, I completely agree that in theory, better programs sell better ads.  But I think in reality that doesn't always correlate, and so it makes some sort of sense to but businessmen in charge of programming instead of artists.
It only makes sense to businessmen.

Most people are willing to watch shit, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't like better programming if it was offered to them on the same availability and awareness that networks give their stupid shows.

Ah hem. Arrested Development. Check and Mate

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 08:42:13 AM »

Nice shootin' Tex.

Jeez...didn't anyone ever think of bringing in a huge can of Raid!?
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 08:55:27 AM »
I don't think that any commentary that contains at least 3 "you knows" in the content should qualify as anything to be taken seriously by MSTies.  

Also, the entire run of MST3K is slowly turning up on DVD and Sy-Fy has made it clear they'll never run the show again so I'm not sure where the issue is, here. We MSTies have been the most powerful force in getting the word out on this show and keeping it alive. Networks don't need to rerun it to make that happen.