Author Topic: Pan's Labrynth  (Read 8573 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
Pan's Labrynth
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:40:15 PM »
There was quite an advertising blitz for this 'independent', and it sure showed at the usually empty independent theater near me. 

It was ok.  The story was ok, the visuals were pretty good, and the sound was overdone.  That's about all I have to say. 

I'm more interested in hearing your thoughts, and then telling you why you're wrong.  ;)

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Pan's Labrynth
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 09:51:42 PM »
The sound was overdone? I don't even understand that complaint.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 10:02:40 PM »
When umbrellas opened it sounded like canons going off.  When people stepped it sounded like their feet were mic-ed.  I felt the sound effects were too over the top.  I understand they wanted to add emotion to the scene, but they went so far that I started questioning why things sounded a certain way, which took me out of the film.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 10:03:59 PM »
When umbrellas opened it sounded like canons going off.  When people stepped it sounded like their feet were mic-ed.  I felt the sound effects were too over the top.  I understand they wanted to add emotion to the scene, but they went so far that I started questioning why things sounded a certain way.

Or it could be the theater you went to fucked up.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »
When umbrellas opened it sounded like canons going off.  When people stepped it sounded like their feet were mic-ed.  I felt the sound effects were too over the top.  I understand they wanted to add emotion to the scene, but they went so far that I started questioning why things sounded a certain way.

Or it could be the theater you went to fucked up.

Good point.  I don't trust their sound system.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 12:19:29 AM »
   Haven't seen it yet but I did like Hellboy.  If you saw that, would you say this is completely different or is it recognizably the work of the same director?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 12:32:53 AM »
I saw about 5 minutes of Hellboy.  So no, I can't make a comparison between directing styles.  I'm sure some one will soon though.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1646
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 07:50:44 PM »
It's more Devil's Backbone-ish.  I *looooooooved* it by the way, really amazing movie.
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 08:13:19 AM »
Only similarity with Hellboy that I can think of is GDT's use of makeup/prosthetics.

Much more similar to Devil's Backbone, like ScottH said.

I was warned that it was disgustingly violent before I saw it, but didn't really feel that was the case.  I have seen Irreversible, which was more graphic than I would ever have liked, so maybe my judgement is a little skewed.

Overall, I thought it was a great movie.  I'm somewhat curious what other people thought of the ending, so here goes my first attempt at using the spoiler thingy:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 08:48:07 AM »
My parents also saw it, and they felt it was uncomfortably gory.  Though I've seen Salo, and after that, it's really hard to be disturbed.

Now here's my two cents about the ending.

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 09:43:31 AM »
I saw this a few weeks ago. It was surprisingly gory (especially when it only carries a 15 certificate - when it's touted as a fantasy film, potentially you could have littl'uns 'accidentally' watching this) but I didn't feel it was excessive; it was justified within the themes being explored.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:51:16 AM »
Is them ovie worth the 9 bucks tho? I kinda want to see it
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 11:59:19 AM »
IF you don't mind cgi and your independent theater has good sound (which i'm assuming it does if you live in cali) thennnnn.... see a matine. 

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 12:57:35 PM »
Is them ovie worth the 9 bucks tho? I kinda want to see it

Absolutely. I might be ever so slightly critical but it's still one of the best films I've seen in a long time; definitely worthy of merit.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
I absolutely loved this movie.  Between this and Children of Men, I think I could make a very strong case for why only Mexicans should be allowed to direct films from here on out.  The acting was great all around, and the captain was terrifying.  Del Toro managed to stage a simple scene of him shaving in a mirror as a completely tense, horrific event. 

It's also a very sad movie.  Sad, yet hopeful, kind of like Children of Men.  And there are explosions!  Always a plus.