login

Author Topic: Best new album of 2006  (Read 8291 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Best new album of 2006
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 09:52:45 PM »
I am sure I am gonna get flamed for this but my favorite album of the year is 10,000 days by Tool.....

actually I haven't heard this yet, I'll take you're word that it is good and I plan to check it out eventually... on a related note what did you think of a perfect circles covers album, I was one of the people that loved it but opinions seem to be split on that album

Yeah I liked some of it. I loved that at least one of the Tapeworm songs was released (Passive), I didn't like all of it though.

I also enjoyed Lupe Fiasco's album this year. That is some really good hip hop, classic feel to it.

hmm, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know any of Lupe F's music, my favorite hip hop albums were (in order) Salem Wreck: Trouble Soon (mix tape), Obie Trice, Ice Cube: Laugh now cry Later, Akon, and Game: Dr's advocate

Edit: now that I think about it, isnt Lupe that dude that sounds like Jameriqui ... that song "crazy" ... not a fan myself but I can understand the new generation apeal
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 09:56:20 PM by Minnesota »

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 09:55:04 PM »
2. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

I thought about putting YLT on my list, based almost entirely on the amazing title, but I haven't found the time to listen to the whole album yet.  Usually I get through "Pass the Hatchet" and I just say, "Screw it.  They can't top that," and turn it off.

1. Futureheads - News & Tributes

While Wire and XTC namedrops are certainly accurate points of reference,

Really?  I've heard of the band, but hadn't heard them put into that context before.  That changes everything.  I think I'll seek this one out.

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:45 PM »
I am sure I am gonna get flamed for this but my favorite album of the year is 10,000 days by Tool.....

actually I haven't heard this yet, I'll take you're word that it is good and I plan to check it out eventually... on a related note what did you think of a perfect circles covers album, I was one of the people that loved it but opinions seem to be split on that album

Yeah I liked some of it. I loved that at least one of the Tapeworm songs was released (Passive), I didn't like all of it though.

I also enjoyed Lupe Fiasco's album this year. That is some really good hip hop, classic feel to it.

hmm, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know any of Lupe F's music, my favorite hip hop albums were (in order) Salem Wreck: Trouble Soon (mix tape), Obie Trice, Ice Cube: Laugh now cry Later, Akon, and Game: Dr's advocate,

Lupe Fiasco is a relatively new rapper...he has had a lot of mix tapes out for awhile but his first studio album just came out.

Check out some of his music....
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=20957761

My favorite song of his on that page is either "The Cool" or "Day dreaming" though "Kick Push" is pretty awesome also.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 09:59:32 PM »

hmm, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know any of Lupe F's music, my favorite hip hop albums were (in order) Salem Wreck: Trouble Soon (mix tape), Obie Trice, Ice Cube: Laugh now cry Later, Akon, and Game: Dr's advocate,

Lupe Fiasco is a relatively new rapper...he has had a lot of mix tapes out for awhile but his first studio album just came out.

Check out some of his music....
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=20957761

My favorite song of his on that page is either "The Cool" or "Day dreaming" though "Kick Push" is pretty awesome also.

okay, I Guess I don't know him yet, I'll check it out

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »
Yeah let me know what you think of him. His flow is pretty much the same on each song but I am sure that he will get better with his next album.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 10:09:42 PM »
Yeah let me know what you think of him. His flow is pretty much the same on each song but I am sure that he will get better with his next album.

cool, I cant listen to it right now, but I'll let ya know what I think of it. (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread ... but) what other recent or semi recent hip hop albums/ artists do you like?

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 10:20:32 PM »

cool, I cant listen to it right now, but I'll let ya know what I think of it. (I hope I'm not hijacking this thread ... but) what other recent or semi recent hip hop albums/ artists do you like?

Nas's new album is pretty solid. The Roots "Game Theory", and The Coup "pick a bigger weapon" all three of those are great.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 10:28:32 PM »

Nas's new album is pretty solid. The Roots "Game Theory", and The Coup "pick a bigger weapon" all three of those are great.

For me the Nas album was just alright and I haven't heard any roots albums but I've seen them perform live and thought they were good. I'll have to check out the Coup as well (man its getting hard to keep up to all these new groups :) )

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »

For me the Nas album was just alright and I haven't heard any roots albums but I've seen them perform live and thought they were good. I'll have to check out the Coup as well (man its getting hard to keep up to all these new groups :) )

I have been a fan of Nas for a while so I am alittle biased. The Roots new album is pretty good, depends what kind of hip hop you like, if you like a little more of the hardcore stuff the new Ghostface Killah album is pretty good.

As for the Coup....they are very original....to say the least.

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2007, 10:00:11 AM »

You hear the news last month about The Coup?

So,
we got on the bus after doing a show at The House of Blues San Diego as part of The Coup/Mr. Lif tour. As the bus took off, I thought that I would go lay in my bunk, listen to my Ipod, and write. But then Zhara, Mr. Lif's friend and the tour's merchandise seller, announced that she had "Anchorman" on DVD. Oh Shit. Will Ferrell or writing? Hot 16s would have to wait tonight...Good Night San Diego! So I stayed up in the front lounge of the bus and, even though I've seen this movie twice, commenced to laugh my ass off. Almost literally, because of what happened next. Shortly after the acapella singing of "Afternoon Delight" by Ferrell et al., a big bump, then another, then plummeting down as we tipped over to the left. I was sitting in the diner-like booth that many of these buses have in the front. I held on to the table with one hand and tried to guard my head with the other, all the while thinking that I was probably about to die. I don't remember seeing everyone flying and flipping around me as it was happening, but Carter's (the road manager) and Wiz's face were covered in blood, and everybody seemed to be laying around hurt. The bus was on it's side, with the entrance door up. I called for people to say there names so we could get a head count of who was conscious or not. Silk E, Q (drums), Riccol (bass), and Metro (Lif's hype man) were trapped in the back lounge because the doors connecting the front and back lounges to the bunks were electrically powered and didn't move with no power on. They ended up ripping and squeezing their way out of a tiny little window and jumped down off the bus as the rest of us got out the front. If anyone had been sleeping in the bunks, they would not have been able to get out. I was the third person to jump off the front of the bus, as I hung down to make the jump shorter, I saw that the front of the bus was on fire. I yelled to everyone, saying to get off the bus immediately because the bus was on fire and it could blow up. We all did. No one was killed. The bus was totally engulfed in flames. For a while no one stopped to help, supposedly because the thought we were "illegal aliens" crossing the border. Eventually some great folks stopped and helped. Silk E has two broken ribs and a punctured lung. Wiz has a broken nose, two deep lacerations to the head, and a shattered knee. Zhara has injuries to her hand and had to undergo surgery. Carter had to get stitches to his head and lip. The driver, Glenn, has a broken jaw. All the first three will be in need of follow-up treatments. We all have aching backs, legs, heads etc. Many of us are on pain killers.

We lost everything in that crash and fire. We were packed to live and do shows on that bus for a month. Most of us had every stitch of clothing we owned on there. We lost clothes, computers, recording equipment, cameras, IDs, phones, keys to cars and homes. We lost cash.We lost all our damn instruments and equipment to perform with. We were and are happy to walk away with our lives. But now we're home. Most of  the band touring with The Coup has kids, rent that won't quit, bills, and holiday expenses coming. We need money, because like I said the band doesn't have the tools that they make a living with. Not only did we lose cash and material things on the bus, but we also were depending on this tour for money to make it through. It may take a year for us to see any money from the insurance company.

I have set up a Paypal account so people can make donations for The Coup. The money will be split between Me (Boots Riley), Silk E, Q, Steve Wyreman (guitar), and Riccol. Mr. Lif is setting one up on his site and when I have that info, we'll let you know.

To make a donation, hit button in the "about" section on the front page of this profile, right below the paragraph and above the "We Are The Ones" video. This allows you to donate even without a paypal account.
If you have an account, ours is thecoupbuscrash@gmail.com.
Thank you in advance to anyone who does this, this is a really crazy situation. I never thought I would would be doing something like this. I also never thought that we would almost die like like that.
We're grateful for anything you can do.
Thank you,
Boots Riley

P.S. Thank you for the messages of love and warmth we've been receiving. It makes a difference.

It's a shame cause they're all also incredibly nice guys.  Saw them 3 times this summer when opening for Les Claypool and talked to their guitarist Steve a couple times and ran into Boots fucking everywhere in Providence, RI.  And their videographer Vince is a cool guy too, we ended up sleeping outside the train station in Providence with him since the place was locked.

Also, Boots told me while in Boston that him and Tom Morello were going into the studio together in September, not sure whatever happened with that though but last I heard it's supposed to come out early this year.  Also x2, the entire touring group was in the studio not long ago.

Offline darthvedder81

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2007, 10:16:32 AM »
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Greatest rock band in the world!

2nd

Did ya go to the tour at all?

Yes indeedy. Caught them for the 2nd Tom Petty show at the Xcel in June (couldn't afford them both!).

12th row center aisle seats. Gotta love the 10 Club.

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
now that I think about it, isnt Lupe that dude that sounds like Jameriqui ... that song "crazy" ... not a fan myself but I can understand the new generation apeal

Crazy is by Gnarls Barkley.  That is definitely on my top-of-the-year list.  I saw them live this summer and they weren't that great. But the disc is brilliant.

I'm sure it will be a little controversial, just because it's *gasp* pop. But it was unique, intelligent, and loads of fun. I mean, using soul in hip-hop isn't a new idea, but it usually comes in the form of a sampled Curtis Mayfield or Gil Scott-Heron sample worked into a hook. Putting one of the most creative hip-hop DJs and producers working today in collaboration with an actual soul singer twists both genres in fascinating ways.

Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo each have a unique style, and they both seem to get equal representation in the final product. It's nice when you get a true collaboration like this, without one person drowning out the others' contributions.

The lyrics are clever as well. Who else could make a concept album about mental illness sell as many copies as this one?

And I've got to respect the fact that they had the nerve to release a disc in 2006 that runs less than 40 minutes. In the days of vinyl, this was nothing strange. But most people today, particularly in this genre, feel like they have to fill up most of an 80-minute disc or the fans will feel ripped off. So they put in their good ideas and fill it out with whatever crap they can crank out by the deadline. This disc is a lean, compact nugget with practically no filler, and it always leaves me wanting more. It's as though someone went to iTunes and bought just the good tracks from one of the best albums of the year.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2007, 07:47:17 PM »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2007, 01:12:07 PM »
now that I think about it, isnt Lupe that dude that sounds like Jameriqui ... that song "crazy" ... not a fan myself but I can understand the new generation apeal

Crazy is by Gnarls Barkley.  That is definitely on my top-of-the-year list.  I saw them live this summer and they weren't that great. But the disc is brilliant.

I'm sure it will be a little controversial, just because it's *gasp* pop. But it was unique, intelligent, and loads of fun. I mean, using soul in hip-hop isn't a new idea, but it usually comes in the form of a sampled Curtis Mayfield or Gil Scott-Heron sample worked into a hook. Putting one of the most creative hip-hop DJs and producers working today in collaboration with an actual soul singer twists both genres in fascinating ways.

Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo each have a unique style, and they both seem to get equal representation in the final product. It's nice when you get a true collaboration like this, without one person drowning out the others' contributions.

The lyrics are clever as well. Who else could make a concept album about mental illness sell as many copies as this one?

And I've got to respect the fact that they had the nerve to release a disc in 2006 that runs less than 40 minutes. In the days of vinyl, this was nothing strange. But most people today, particularly in this genre, feel like they have to fill up most of an 80-minute disc or the fans will feel ripped off. So they put in their good ideas and fill it out with whatever crap they can crank out by the deadline. This disc is a lean, compact nugget with practically no filler, and it always leaves me wanting more. It's as though someone went to iTunes and bought just the good tracks from one of the best albums of the year.

I completely forgot about them...  Only downloaded the disc but still thought it was a lot of fun...

Plus they cover the Violent Femmes' "Gone Daddy Gone", so there's black people doing white music for my list!

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2007, 01:55:58 PM »
Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose
Cradle of Filth - Thornography
Muse - Black Holes & Revelations
Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom