Author Topic: Best new album of 2006  (Read 8156 times)

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Best new album of 2006
« on: January 19, 2007, 08:19:03 PM »
I was shocked by how many really brilliant albums came out this last year.  Just wanted to see if anyone concurs with me.  I'll post some of my favorites later, but in the meantime, does anyone have any picks for best album of 2006?

If it helps get you started, here are some links to other peoples' opinions:

THE A.V. CLUB

The main "Best Of 2006" Article, including the general concensus, and picks from the individual writers.

The best overlooked music of the year.

NPR All Songs Considered
The Best of 06 show
Here's where you can hear full tracks from these albums for free.  The main show is primarily listeners' picks, but there are links on the page to each of the editors' personal favorites.

Amazon
Possibly the least useful of the lot, but here it is:

Editors' Picks

Customer Favorites.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: Best new album of 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 11:04:14 PM »
Hmm... A lot of good stuff came out, but I can't think of any albums that really blew me away.  I guess I'd give consideration to:

• Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit: Not B&S's best album, but still pretty good.  Burt Bacharach meets sixties television themes, with lyrics penned by Morrissey while high on Zoloft.  I do like that they're sort of doing concept albums now, since I think Stuart Murdoch has a really terrific one in him somewhere.

• The Fiery Furnaces - Bitter Tea: Doesn't come close to the greatness of Blueberry Boat, but almost nothing does.  The Furnaces are a brother-sister duo with a love for tinkly old pianos and obscure-but-awesome lyrics.  Sister Eleanor has one of the most striking voices I've ever heard in rock music.

• Lilys - Everything Wrong is Imaginary: I've loved Lilys since their early shoegaze days, and parts of this album are a welcome return to that kind of sound.  The rest is sort of meh.  A good album, but it feels half-finished.

• Mew - And the Glass-handed Kites: Mew are a Danish band that specialize in lush production, pretty melodies, and incredibly bad hairstyles.  If you like any of those things, this is a terrific album.

• The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes: Riot grrls have taken over the Brill building!  You think it's just bubble gum, but then you discover there are Pop Rocks hidden inside; at any rate, it's pretty sweet.

If I had to pick a winner, it would probably be Lilys.  But that's more because they're a personal favorite than it is because they put out a great album.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 07:20:18 AM »
Mew - And the Glass-handed Kites: Mew are a Danish band that specialize in lush production, pretty melodies, and incredibly bad hairstyles.  If you like any of those things, this is a terrific album.

Indeed one of the best albums of the year...in 2005.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:28:16 AM by Teaflax »
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline WouTar

• Big Montana
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 09:51:16 AM »
Thom Yorke - The Eraser

Well how about that, he can still rock by his lonesome.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 10:12:35 AM »
Ive been wanting to get one of those all songs considered for a while now.  I wonder if they can ship to an APO

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 01:23:11 PM »
Mew - And the Glass-handed Kites: Mew are a Danish band that specialize in lush production, pretty melodies, and incredibly bad hairstyles.  If you like any of those things, this is a terrific album.

Indeed one of the best albums of the year...in 2005.

Ah so.  For some reason the tags I downloaded list it as a 2006 release.  Probably because it wasn't released in the States until this year or something.  I see now that it was originally released in October 2005, so I stand corrected.

Thank God we got that cleared up.  It makes a world of difference.

Offline Teaflax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 04:18:06 PM »
Thank God we got that cleared up.  It makes a world of difference.

Well, yeah - cause it leaves the field more or less clear for Pure Reason Revolution's The Dark Third to be this year's indisputable heir. UK version, that is - the US release is fine, but not quite as five-starry as the European one.
Fear destroys. - Jon Anderson

Offline darthvedder81

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Greatest rock band in the world!

Offline zaxxon25

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • BoC Thurs
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »
My personal top 10 ... remember, music is the most subjective of the arts.

10. Mojave 3 - Puzzles Like You

Melding the sun-dappled world of 70's folk-pop with a sharply produced pop record that engagingly exceeds the earnest shine of similar outfits like Phoenix.

9. Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped

If you're in the freak-out-jam camp of Sonic Youth fans this one probably won't please, but for those of us who appreciate the sub 5-minute version of their tension/release style with a glittery bow this is the perfect present.

8. Psapp - The Only Thing I Ever Wanted

A "kitchen-sink melody" reference here likely refers to sounds you'd hear from your kitchen sink ... a gurgle or splash or clank that forms the percussive or melodic backbone to a particular tune.  Even more amazing is that the songs hang together so deftly that the sampled source material is a secondary consideration.

7. Mylo - Destroy Rock and Roll

A true driving record on par with the best of Daft Punk or Vitalic.  Which means plenty of danceable tunes filled out with lethally sharp hooks, knowing samples and (occasionally) delightful vocals. 

6. Zapruder Point - It's Always The Quiet Ones

The left-field winner of the year.  The tunes are likely not far from the lo-fi verve of the originals, combined with sharp lead vocals, some well-placed backing vocals and even the odd violin here and there it feels like one of those once-in-a-lifetime accidents of energy that just can't be manufactured.

5. The Pipettes - We Are The Pipettes

The 60's US girl group sound is a favorite of mine, and the Pipettes take the spirit and energy of those tunes and thematically update them for the new century.  The original girl group tropes of undying loyalty or unending crushes are replaced with one-night stands and flirtatious come-ons, one of those rare records where a promising concept gets a proper execution.

4. Tortoise & Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - The Brave and the Bold

Probably the biggest surprise on the list for me, a covers album collaboration by two bands that separately have never been chart toppers for me.  "Thunder Road" was the beacon that lured me here, their storming Springsteen revision is a pure home run. 

3. Jesus H Christ - Jesus H Christ and the Four Hornsmen of the Apocalypse

JHC don't try to shift reality, instead creating their own brand of grounded observational humor that questions our everyday social practices. There's a consistent theme at play here, as the lead singer can't quite believe that men are such willing targets for females intent on achieving their own goals.

2. Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass

Their don't-give-a-crap-what-you-think creative streak has been re-stoked, resulting in an album that darts from 10 minute long krautrock meets Sun-Ra inspired jams to plaintive folk tunes and VU blasts of druggy fuzz.  There are few bands that can handle the sonic shifts as deftly as YLT and if it's all about the moments, you'll find them all here.

1. Futureheads - News & Tributes

While Wire and XTC namedrops are certainly accurate points of reference, lumping these guys in with the rest of the post-punk revival obscures the fact that they indeed are their own band, pounding out original and embracing tunes regardless of
the era.  The guitars are grittier and vocals a bit less polished, but the songs are just as intricately performed and well-written as their wonderful debut.  It's to the point now where I prefer this to the original, something I never would have predicted upon first listen. 

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Greatest rock band in the world!

2nd

Did ya go to the tour at all?

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
just off the top of my head...

Skerik's Syncopated Taint Septet - Husky..... though not as good as their live debut a few years back, still a pretty good CD

Watermelon Slim - whatever the fuck his album is called, I don't even care what it is, he's a drunker older bluesier Tom Waits

Tom Waits - Orphans

The Residents - Tweedles

Derek Trucks Band - Songlines..... I had some problems about his older ones, but this album was solid and incredible

mc chris - Dungeon Master of Ceremonies

I wish I could think of something that wasn't white guys doing black music.... but the next albums I think of are Gov't Mule "Mr. High & Mighty" and Peeping Tom S/T...

edit - OH! The Coup - Pick A Bigger Weapon  8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:55:58 PM by pyro »

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
I am sure I am gonna get flamed for this but my favorite album of the year is 10,000 days by Tool.....

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
I am sure I am gonna get flamed for this but my favorite album of the year is 10,000 days by Tool.....

actually I haven't heard this yet, I'll take you're word that it is good and I plan to check it out eventually... on a related note what did you think of a perfect circles covers album, I was one of the people that loved it but opinions seem to be split on that album

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 09:46:07 PM »

actually I haven't heard this yet, I'll take you're word that it is good and I plan to check it out eventually... on a related note what did you think of a perfect circles covers album, I was one of the people that loved it but opinions seem to be split on that album

Yeah I liked some of it. I loved that atleast one of the Tapeworm songs was released (Passive), I didn't like all of it though.

I also enjoyed Lupe Fiasco's album this year. That is some really good hip hop, classic feel to it.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »
I enjoyed the Springsteen Seeger Sessions quite a lot, the expanded version with the five extra songs is worth obtaining.  My top three, in terms of CDs listened to over and over again would probably be:

M. Ward - Post War

The Hold Steady - Boys & Girls in America

and The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine

Which I didn't even check out til the last week of the year and may be the best of the lot.