login

Author Topic: Sitcoms: Dead?  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: Sitcoms: Dead?
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 11:05:06 PM »

I've never seen more than about 3 minutes of Big Bang Theory, but that was enough to confirm that I won't ever watch any more.

3 whole minutes, way to give it a shot. 
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2009, 05:47:23 AM »
I've watch two entire episodes and I couldn't stand either of them. All of the characters are entirely unsympathetic I just find all of them intensely irksome.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 10:52:55 AM »
It's strange that How I Met Your Mother is so lauded.  I've watched it, and Neil Patrick Harris absolutely ruins it for me.  I don't think it's the actor, it's the character.

Yeah, I don't think it's funny at all. I've been forced to sit through it a couple of times on airplane flights.

Problem is, it's not really a show you can fully appreciate if you join it at a random episode in the middle. It's like the "Lost" of sitcoms.

I guess that's why I've never found it really funny, only mildly funny.

That also kinda makes it something other than a sitcom, a situational comedy should not rely on people knowing a lot of what has been shown in previous episodes.

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 11:01:47 AM »

I've never seen more than about 3 minutes of Big Bang Theory, but that was enough to confirm that I won't ever watch any more.

It was clear from those three minutes that this sitcom did not depart in any way from any of the standard gimmicks of a sitcom.  Why watch more?

Because it's well written and acted even if it does follow the standard formulas.  Not every show needs to ground-breaking.
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
It's strange that How I Met Your Mother is so lauded.  I've watched it, and Neil Patrick Harris absolutely ruins it for me.  I don't think it's the actor, it's the character.

Yeah, I don't think it's funny at all. I've been forced to sit through it a couple of times on airplane flights.

Problem is, it's not really a show you can fully appreciate if you join it at a random episode in the middle. It's like the "Lost" of sitcoms.

Well, I watched the entire first season.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Fair enough. Different tastes, and all that.

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 06:42:23 PM »

It was clear from those three minutes that this sitcom did not depart in any way from any of the standard gimmicks of a sitcom.  Why watch more?

Because it's well written and acted even if it does follow the standard formulas.  Not every show needs to ground-breaking.

I enjoy BBT, but there's just enough moments that remind you that it's written by the same guys who do Two and a Half Men to keep it from being great (ex. Kripke).

I'm a huge fan of How I Met Your Mother, It's Always Sunny, and Community is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows.

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 07:03:41 PM »
All I can say is that you guys keep increasing my TV viewing, and that's NOT A GOOD THING. First Better Off Ted and now Community - seriously, stop having such good taste in comedy! I only have so many hours in the day!

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 07:39:35 PM »
I enjoy BBT, but there's just enough moments that remind you that it's written by the same guys who do Two and a Half Men to keep it from being great (ex. Kripke).

Well, that's true....