Author Topic: Monk -- 2 part series finale (spoilers).  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Monk -- 2 part series finale (spoilers).
« on: December 01, 2009, 04:05:08 AM »
Anyone else seen it?  Part one aired last Friday.  It definitely had a darker turn with Monk being fatally poisoned.  Since it's a slow acting poison, we don't know if he'll survive yet.  Hopefully, the doctor will realize the source of the poison,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, which was pretty much broadcast

Awesome scene with Stottelmyer (sp?) at the train station.  They don't often set the characters up against hardcore, trained criminals.

Kinda miffed that Monk has been obsessing over Trudy's unsolved murder, and had it ruin his life, for 12 years, while he's had this huge clue (whatever the video tape reveals) right in his lap.

Well, next week the show ends.  We already know who killed Trudy.  Next week, we find out why.  I await it with bated breath.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
Re: Monk -- 2 part series finale (spoilers).
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 04:17:02 AM »
I'm a big fan of the show, so I'm looking forward to the last episode as well. Unfortunately I probably won't get to watch it till Sunday, due to my work schedule.  :-\

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:00:53 AM »
Since we are doing spoilers...... who did kill his wife?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 05:03:10 AM »
Since we are doing spoilers...... who did kill his wife?

This spoiler tag may seem redundant in a thread marked spoilers in the subject title, but what the heck?

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 05:09:29 AM »
Thanks!   

I used to watch Monk all the time, then the cases got kind of silly a couple of seasons ago, and I quit watching.   Hopefully they have a really good final episode.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:11 AM »
Anyone else seen it?  Part one aired last Friday.  It definitely had a darker turn with Monk being fatally poisoned.  Since it's a slow acting poison, we don't know if he'll survive yet.  Hopefully, the doctor will realize the source of the poison,

Awesome scene with Stottelmyer (sp?) at the train station.  They don't often set the characters up against hardcore, trained criminals.

Kinda miffed that Monk has been obsessing over Trudy's unsolved murder, and had it ruin his life, for 12 years, while he's had this huge clue (whatever the video tape reveals) right in his lap.

Well, next week the show ends.  We already know who killed Trudy.  Next week, we find out why.  I await it with bated breath.

i think you are right on the source of the poison. But if you are going to kill someone, why on earth would you use the slowest acting poison you can?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »

i think you are right on the source of the poison. But if you are going to kill someone, why on earth would you use the slowest acting poison you can?

That's a good question.  Best I can figure is that he needed to plant the poison, but he knew it wouldn't reach Monk for several hours.  Or it wasn't strong enough to be administered in one dose.  Poisons of that stripe might not be powerful enough to kill quickly.

Moleman

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 12:07:13 PM »
I love Monk.  Can't wait till Friday.

With ANY other show I would have been calling bull about him
but with how Monk is and his disorders its actually very believable.  Kind of like how he literally didn't let go of Stotlemeyer's ring the entire time it was intrusted to him even when taking a shower and sleeping.  Or how in one of the early Natalie ones he actually tells her to light his hands on fire.  Or hell just in this episode
.  His commitment to Trudy is what caused all these phobias so naturally something she said before she died he would hold above everything else and keep his word.  No matter how irrational it was to wait so long.

The episode that had the impostor Trudy definitely seemed to suggest she was involved with something secretive so
isn't that hard to buy either.

I've never liked how stupid they always made Randy but that part in the train station has me rolling on the ground.

Offline Kete

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3549
  • All joking a salad.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
I wish they had built up to the resolutions with Trudy the whole season instead of just the last two episodes.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:25:37 PM »
I wish they had built up to the resolutions with Trudy the whole season instead of just the last two episodes.

I'm with you.  I think the series as a whole would have been more satisfying if it had been structured a little closer to The X-Files.  That is to say, I would have liked to have seen the Trudy situation visited more often, at least once per season, but with the normal "case of the week" shows being predominant.

Monk holding on to Trudy's gift for 12 years is definitely palatable.  It makes sense given the character, but it still added this whole "oh damnit I had my keys in my purse the whole time while you were screwing around with that coat hanger for an hour" flavor to the whole series, retroactively.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:13 PM »
On the whole holding the gift for 12 years... There were more presents under the tree. What about those? Did he open the other ones and keep this one special?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 05:43:51 PM »
Part two starts in 17 minutes :D

Moleman

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 06:24:26 PM »
Unless you're on the west coast and have to wait another 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 07:10:20 PM »
Well, that was neat. 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 07:33:49 PM »
I think it was a great wrap up.

Really liked the stove bit at the end.