Author Topic: Netflix Streaming Now on PS3  (Read 3754 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Netflix Streaming Now on PS3
« on: November 11, 2009, 05:43:32 AM »
Now the PS3 joings XBox 360 as having the ability to stream "watch now" Netflix movies!    :clap:

Just follow the link http://www.netflix.com/InstantStreamingDisc

Man, I sound like a spammer!

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1513
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: Netflix Streaming Now on PS3
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:19:32 AM »
Spammer! Oh wait.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »
We will see how it works. Right now you have to use a special blu-ray disc and it basically uses BD-Live technology. My disc is supposed to come today or tomorrow.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »
We will see how it works. Right now you have to use a special blu-ray disc and it basically uses BD-Live technology. My disc is supposed to come today or tomorrow.

Supposed to be an update sometime next year that will eliminate having to use the disc as well as add new features.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 02:22:57 PM »
It's been working great for me so far, the interface is much better than the Roku box I had.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 02:26:23 PM »
Yeah, and not as much buffering issues as I had with the PlayOn software.  Although I've only been able to use it to watch Wubbzy's Big Movie about a dozen times with my kid.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 08:06:21 PM »
So is there a menu to select any 'watch now' movie or does it only play movies from your 'watch now playlist' ?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 07:31:03 AM »
So is there a menu to select any 'watch now' movie or does it only play movies from your 'watch now playlist' ?

Yeah, it lets you browse items that are not in your "watch instantly" playlist.  It's the biggest difference between the PS3 disc and the Roku.  The Roku only displayed stuff I had already added, which was pretty darn annoying.  I like this so much better.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

MontyServo

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 01:01:28 PM »
I just restarted my Netflix account just because of this (PS3 Watch Now streaming).  That, plus my local Redbox is starting to get spotty with the movie selection.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
Also, does it force you to pay a 'blu ray' premium? I'm assuming so.

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 02:43:19 AM »
yeah! i really love it!!

;D

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 07:10:55 AM »
Yes, you pay more for if you want blu-ray discs, but the HD instant viewing isn't any extra money.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 765
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 08:03:02 AM »
I tried it out last night. It worked pretty good. Although the image was pretty blocky. I only have 3mps DLS line and that particular PS3 is pretty far from my wifi point.  I ma going to need to do some tweaking.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 08:09:25 AM »
Yes, you pay more for if you want blu-ray discs, but the HD instant viewing isn't any extra money.

I'm still confused. Here is why I need to know: My roommate has the Netflix two DVD at a time plan, if I want to convince her to set up Netflix on my PS3 what will it cost her. Probably extra considering the PS3 disc is BR, also, does the PS3 disc count as a rental or do you buy it?

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 09:09:23 AM »

I'm still confused. Here is why I need to know: My roommate has the Netflix two DVD at a time plan, if I want to convince her to set up Netflix on my PS3 what will it cost her. Probably extra considering the PS3 disc is BR, also, does the PS3 disc count as a rental or do you buy it?

It costs nothing. The disc does NOT count as a rental on the account.  When your roommate is logged into her netflix account, tell her to go to http://www.netflix.com/ps3 to request the FREE Netflix streaming disc.

You have to put the disc into your PS3, follow the onscreen instructions to link your PS3 to her account, and you're all set.  It costs nothing.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 09:10:56 AM by SmilinJackRoss »