Author Topic: The Simpsons seems to be skipping a few seasons on DVD.  (Read 7932 times)

Doctor Who?

Re: The Simpsons seems to be skipping a few seasons on DVD.
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
Heh, i remeber in the liner notes to the 1st season DVD, Matt Greoning joked about it:

"Welcome to the first of many deluxe overpriced DVD sets of The Simpsons. With 280-odd shows in the can and no end in sight, you might be able to complete your Simpsons DVD collection just before the next format comes along."

It was obviously Fox's decision to skip.  Personally, i don't know why they just 13-19 on BD and skip the DVD versions all together.

No... I don't want to go buy a Blu Ray disc player.  I'm fine with the picture quality on my DVD player.  Abandoning VHS for DVD makes sense for plenty of reasons (skipping around through chapters instead of fast forwarding, less physical storage space needed, more durable medium, better picture), but Blu-Ray doesn't offer anything more than better picture quality.  I really hope nobody starts abandoning DVD.

The jump in picture quality from VHS to DVD was what...240 to 420 lines? Blu is 1080. That's a greater jump.

I take your point about the functionality not really being different, but when you start getting to larger screens, DVDs do NOT look as good.  Even upconverted.  I bought an upconverting DVD player because my BD player is bad at playing burned discs, and it upconverts much less well than my BD player does.

There's no point, in my mind, in having a large tv if you can't ever see it in the best quality.

All of which is covered (like the Simpsons release) in detail in the Blu Ray thread, of course.

*nerd mode*

DvD has 480 lines.  Upconverting turn those 480 lines from interlaced to progressive,it's still a bigger jump to Blu Ray whcih if your tv is set up for it(as my two are)can show 1080 line progressive.

That is all carry on.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
Most Boxsets don't have the extras announced in advance.  Also they still have two months before release.  I am pretty sure these will have the same extras as the other boxsets.  They didn't skimp on the extras when they were having to have people phone in from the movie offices to get them i don't think they will have any trouble here.  Sorry to get into this again but i think people are getting worked up over nothing.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 03:51:42 AM »
its all moot anyway, becuase if you really wanted to get seasons 13-19, there is this the called the internet.  One could, in theory, be able to find those season in varying degrees of quality........just sayin....

Apples and oranges.  It's not just the content I want, it's the physical DVD.  I'm pretty proud of my DVD collection.  It looks nice there on the shelf.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 03:57:17 AM »
Hey, I'll freely admit that Blu-Ray is a jump in picture and sound quality, even though I haven't seen it for myself.  I'll trust the aficionados on this one.  That's still not a good enough reason to buy new hardware for Blu-Ray, or abandon hardware that is still fully functional.  I wouldn't replace my full functional 2002 model car with a shiny new 2010 model just because it looks prettier, and I wouldn't buy a Blu-Ray just because they look better.  And I think that trying to force that preference on someone else isn't very nice.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
I wouldn't replace my full functional 2002 model car with a shiny new 2010 model just because it looks prettier, and I wouldn't buy a Blu-Ray just because they look better. 

Just think how much less grief Woody Allen would be getting if he only thought this way in his personal life......

Doctor Who?

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
Hey, I'll freely admit that Blu-Ray is a jump in picture and sound quality, even though I haven't seen it for myself.  I'll trust the aficionados on this one.  That's still not a good enough reason to buy new hardware for Blu-Ray, or abandon hardware that is still fully functional.  I wouldn't replace my full functional 2002 model car with a shiny new 2010 model just because it looks prettier, and I wouldn't buy a Blu-Ray just because they look better.  And I think that trying to force that preference on someone else isn't very nice.

Well good news no one is trying to force anything on you,no one is release stuff on Blu Ray only.  If you look on Amazon The Simpsons season 20 is coming to DvD the same as the others and for $10 less than the Blu Ray.  I would just like to point out that a release system of releasing the latest season of a long runing show at one point in the year and the older seasons at another has been used before,by the Sci-Fi show Stargate SG1.  SG1 had been on the air about five years when they started releasing it on DvD and the newer seasons had the same extras as the old seasons and the first five seasons got a release.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »

Well good news no one is trying to force anything on you,no one is release stuff on Blu Ray only. 

I know, and I'm happy about that.  I don't like what Ortega is suggesting should happen

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:44 AM »
I'm amazed that they want to skip ahead since doesn't putting newer episodes on DVD first make them less attractive for syndication?

(but then, I've wondered about that with most shows)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:03 PM »

Your analogy is inept, as the primary function of a car is not to look nice, whereas the primary function of television is to deliver a picture.  So the primary function is what's being upgraded.

The primary function of the device is to deliver a picture, which both DVD and Blu-Ray do.  The primary function of a car is to move people from place to place, which a used 2002 model with 62,000 miles and a brand new 2010 model both do.  The 2010 model might have upgrades (better fuel economy, better sound system, better handling etc.,) but it's still an upgrade that wasn't needed for the purposes of the car fulfilling its primary function.

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6791
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »
i thought cars were for when you needed to move while still talking on your cell phone. ???
dF = 0
d*F = J

Doctor Who?

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
That's like saying a car that gets five miles to the gallon is better than a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon.  Also the old car has no roof and it's radio is stuck on an all rap station.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 07:13:05 PM by Doctor Who? »

Offline goflyblind

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 6791
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
lol wut.
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2009, 02:21:11 PM »
That's like saying a car that gets five miles to the gallon is better than a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon.  Also the old car has no roof and it's radio is stuck all an all rap station.

Nope.

The old car gets you from Point A to Point B. The new car gets you from Point A to Point B.  All Thrifty cares about is getting from Point A to Point B. He doesn't care if the new car does it more efficiently or looks prettier or sounds better. The old car gets the job done for him.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »
That's like saying a car that gets five miles to the gallon is better than a car that gets 50 miles to the gallon.  Also the old car has no roof and it's radio is stuck all an all rap station.

Nope.

The old car gets you from Point A to Point B. The new car gets you from Point A to Point B.  All Thrifty cares about is getting from Point A to Point B. He doesn't care if the new car does it more efficiently or looks prettier or sounds better. The old car gets the job done for him.

Right.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
I'm amazed that they want to skip ahead since doesn't putting newer episodes on DVD first make them less attractive for syndication?

(but then, I've wondered about that with most shows)

Why would it? They're totally different markets.
Because with the show unedited and not interrupted by commercials on your shelf, why would you tune in to watch it in syndication?

And it just strikes me that it would effect the price to the negative syndicators could ask stations to pay for season 20 if they can't promise them that their station is the only place people can see them (legally) at present.