login

Author Topic: The Spoony One  (Read 22719 times)

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
Re: The Spoony One
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2012, 06:50:57 AM »
That's too bad. I hope he continues to receive enough fan support to continue doing his videos. His Counter Monkey stories always had me rolling; some of them I've watched multiple times.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2012, 09:11:37 AM »
I'm sure he'll be fine, audience-wise; he probably had a lot more people watching his stuff on his site than on TGWTG.

I still enjoy his work, but man, he's been going almost full-on Charlie Sheen on twitter for some time now. I think he seriously needs help, and he's way too stubborn to accept it. Probably doesn't help that he has a horde of the most sycophantic fans imaginable, many of whom are currently blaming other TGWTG-ers for this, because they DARED to be somewhat offended when he said things that were pretty offensive.

I hope he remains on good terms with Channel Awesome as a whole, and that he hasn't lost all of his friends there. Either way, it's gonna be pretty weird watching him in the fourth year anniversary when it comes out. At least the behind-the-scenes troubles going on with Team Cinema Snob don't seem to be affecting their work, except as a source of good-natured self-parody.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5620
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2012, 09:21:44 AM »
Wow, this is more serious than I thought. I was away from checking twitter for a few weeks with the move, and all hell seems to have broken loose. Spoony has always had medical issues that make his release schedule frustratingly erratic at best. But I don't know what to make of all this. He was on such good terms with everybody at CA.

So, how long before somebody blames Oreo for all of this?

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »
He was on such good terms with everybody at CA.

From what I gather, that's not the case at all.    Seems this has been a long time coming and "the joke" and its aftermath was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Also if you want to hear Spoony get a massive smackdown check this: http://live.lordkat.com/popout.php?type=video&stream=jtvhighlight&channel=322255491 starting at 36:00
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2012, 04:19:23 PM »
See, I don't follow any of the crew on Twitter, I just watched Spoony, Linkara, and the Nostalgia Critic videos, so I don't know any of their personal stuff. I just watch the "characters" (though I skip Linkara's soap operas; I just want to see him yell at bad comics).

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2012, 04:34:10 PM »
Above all else I liked Spoony's movie review vlogs.  I looked forward to the next one but they seem to have grown few and far between.  I hope he straightens out.  I enjoyed his work.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #66 on: June 22, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
I'm thinking right about now, some of us could use a few laughs and a reminder of why we became fans of his work in the first place. Here's one of my personal favorites. I looked, it was shared earlier in this thread as well, so call this a breach of internet protocol if you must, but I think it's worth of a repeat linking:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/18/tse-riff-theater-gamecrazy-training-video/
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #67 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
I'm thinking right about now, some of us could use a few laughs and a reminder of why we became fans of his work in the first place. Here's one of my personal favorites. I looked, it was shared earlier in this thread as well, so call this a breach of internet protocol if you must, but I think it's worth of a repeat linking:

http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/03/18/tse-riff-theater-gamecrazy-training-video/

Ah, yes, nothing brings people together like racist Zelda Scott.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »
He was on such good terms with everybody at CA.

From what I gather, that's not the case at all.    Seems this has been a long time coming and "the joke" and its aftermath was just the straw that broke the camels back.

Also if you want to hear Spoony get a massive smackdown check this: http://live.lordkat.com/popout.php?type=video&stream=jtvhighlight&channel=322255491 starting at 36:00
Seems LordKat appologized on his blog for his outburst the other day.
http://www.lordkat.com/see-you-hell-my-friends.html
  I still don't know what all really went down between the various people, but it's really none of my business. I just hope Spoony still does crossovers with at least some of the other people. Particularly Linkara.
  I was so glad to see Linkara recently include Dr. Insano again in his storylines. Seriously, that stuff is beyond tedious and lame except when it involves Dr. Insano.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:59 PM »
Best as I can gather (and this is conjecture based on the scant information in the official statements), it seems a lot of people, both Channel Awesome fans and contributors, have been emailing Holly complaining about Spoony's fan-abusing behavior on Twitter. I'm guessing the company gave Spoony an ultimatum: either clean up your act, or leave, because we can't have you representing the company like this. Spoony referenced how he "wasn't allowed" to be mean to other contributors any more in a couple of tweets, but it looks like either he or they ultimately decided it was easier for Spoony to just "be himself", without official ties to the organization.

Unfortunately, shortly before this whole thing went down, poor Lupa complained publicly about Spoony's behavior, so now a lot of people are under the impression that she got him fired, and she's been on the receiving end of way too much abuse because of this. And I'm sure poor Doug is also getting bombarded with emails asking what's going on, despite the fact that he doesn't do any administrative work in the company and is away on his honeymoon.

Now, here's what we DO know: Spoony's scenes have already been shot for the fourth year anniversary, the Cinema Snob movie, and whatever other crossovers are coming. (However awkward those will be to watch remains to be seen.) And I'm sure he hasn't lost ALL his friends in the company, so he may pop up from time to time. Linkara always seems to strive to be a peacekeeper in comment threads, so he's probably not the type to sever ties with the guy over some public outbursts. But we probably won't be seeing a lot of new crossover material until everyone's heads cool a bit.

And I seriously hope Spoony's head DOES cool. Not only because I selfishly want more crossovers, but because he's a human being and I want him to be happier and healthier than the mess he appears to be.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
I kinda hope he re-releases his Dungeon and Dragons Riff. I remember watching that one once and it was hilarious.