Author Topic: The Spoony One  (Read 22708 times)

Moleman

The Spoony One
« on: November 04, 2009, 05:15:25 PM »
This guy is a movie/game reviewer similar to the Nostalgia Critic and the Angry Video Game Nerd but occasionally he does a riff in place of a review....and he's DAMN good at it too.  Here's the ones that I can remember that contain Rifftrax style riffing as part or all of the review, from newest to oldest.

Terror T.R.A.X.

Ripper

Phantasmagoria (5 HOURS LONG!)

Dragon Strike

Super Wing Commander

If he ever did an iRiff I'd buy it in an instant.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: The Spoony One
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
I've only seen the past couple of his FMV game reviews so far, but I gotta say he's quickly growing on me as much as Nostalgia Critic and AVGN did.  His recent review of that Pumpkinhead game was hilarious.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline carlobee

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
great guy! love his work.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5618
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm a big fan of his, Linkara and Nostalgia Critic. They did a great 3 person review of Alone in the Dark that has quite a few riff jokes in it.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/11343-alone

Spoony should do an iRiff, and Linkara should definitely do one too.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 08:38:52 AM »
Yeah, Spoony's awesome, and the Phantasmagoria riff is GLORIOUS!

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 04:57:22 PM »
Spoony apparently loves doing long stuff.  Not only did he do Phantasmagoria (the only game on that list I actually own, and that on reflection wasn't great but I enjoyed when it came out and almost beat without a single hint), but he also did a review with Linkara about the Ultimate Warrior comic that goes on and on...and it's good all the way through.  Never have the absolutely insane, nonsensical ramblings of a wrestler been so amusing, "Hoak Hogan!"

But my personal favorite line is from the "Alone in the Dark" review..."I brought SCIENCE!"
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
Spoony apparently loves doing long stuff.  Not only did he do Phantasmagoria (the only game on that list I actually own, and that on reflection wasn't great but I enjoyed when it came out and almost beat without a single hint), but he also did a review with Linkara about the Ultimate Warrior comic that goes on and on...and it's good all the way through.  Never have the absolutely insane, nonsensical ramblings of a wrestler been so amusing, "Hoak Hogan!"

Ooo, I need to see that.  Just got hooked on Linkara's "Atop the 4th Wall" series this past week, and from the Wrestlecrap.com review of it I saw the Ultimate Warrior comic is a masterpiece of insanity.  Linkara'd be a good person to pull in on a riff too I think.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 07:16:13 PM »

But my personal favorite line is from the "Alone in the Dark" review..."I brought SCIENCE!"
I love that line, too. Especially cause he's holding the box like its a pizza. Dr. Insano is awesome. Watch his review of Clones of Bruce Lee for more brilliance (and a good 3 person camera effect). "No it wont, you idiot! You just invented Round-Up Weed Killer!" and "Don't $#@& with Nye, he will end your ass! WITH SCIENCE!"

Moleman

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »
The reason why Spoony is so awesome is he's the only video reviewer I know of who can just turn on the camera and talk for 25 minutes straight and be funny.  Even his Vlogs about the movie he just saw are entertaining.

I guess its no wonder why he's in the top 5 for FUNNIEST PERSON TO FOLLOW ON THE INTERNET: http://mashable.com/owa/categories/show/35

I don't know why they put the Nostalgia Critic here because he's already in the running for top 5 online web shows.  Plus even though he does a lot of different stuff, we don't really "follow" him in the sense that we know about his day-to-day life.  A lot of people know stuff about Spoony while Doug's life is far more private.  Hell he doesn't even run his own website or have a twitter.  Not trying to knock him at all, i'm just saying I don't think he belongs in this category.  I voted him for best show over the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Russell

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:16:19 PM »
His review of E.T. was also amazing. He does the whole "Apocalypse now" thing shortly after he's got some of his teeth pulled.
http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/spoonyone/reviews/5154-et

Moleman

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 02:56:34 PM »
WARNING!  The following is absolutely F#$%ING hilarious!  Be sure not to be chewing or sipping anything during the duration of this video:

<a href="http://blip.tv/play/hIVVgc7MTQI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://blip.tv/play/hIVVgc7MTQI</a>

Moleman

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
<a href="http://blip.tv/play/hIVVgdPMaQI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://blip.tv/play/hIVVgdPMaQI</a>

Offline IamTorgo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:31:05 AM »
Spoony is one of the funniest people I've seen on the internet, I'm glad he's doing the Riff Theatre on his site, hopefully we'll see an iRiff from him one day

Offline mattwnelson

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 543
    • Catbeard the Pirate!
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:57 AM »
WARNING!  The following is absolutely F#$%ING hilarious!  Be sure not to be chewing or sipping anything during the duration of this video:

That was UTTER GOLD.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:13:18 PM »

That was UTTER GOLD.
Yeah. Can't believe that company went out of business...