Author Topic: The World Series thread.  (Read 2792 times)

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 2911
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: The World Series thread.
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2009, 03:02:38 PM »
Just dear god, Phillies HAVE to win.   I would root for the Hitler youth over the Yankees.

I could not stand a whole year of ESPN creaming themselves over the greatness of AROD and Yankees...... those scrappy 200 million dollar players.

Yea...  Haven't seen the Yankees that much during the season but it seems Jeter is the only one that's likable on that team.

Gotta love Chase (The Man) Utley, quietly does his job, now is tied with Mr. October, he's got to get at least one more....   I remember watching Reggie get those home runs back in 77?, was the last time I rooted for the Yankees....

Doctor Who?

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 03:04:26 PM »
I know i like the Phillies.  I think they need to work on striking people out and not throwing so manny balls but I think they are playing some pretty good ball right now.  I am excited about the rest of the series. I hope it goes to game seven.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 103
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »

The Phillies lost the series when Manuel named Blanton the Game 4 starter. Stupid.

Cole, your comments after Game 3 were far from innocuous...

http://www.faniq.com/article/Brett-Myers-and-Cole-Hamels-nearly-fight-after-Game-5--1860526?ref=fromTS

"I can't wait for it to end," Hamels said, referring to his wildly inconsistent 2009 season. "It's been mentally draining ... It's one of those things, a year in, you just can't wait for a fresh start."

Terrible, Cole.

As for pitching Lee on 3 days rest, OK, so say we did that, and win game 4, who goes game 5?  Would still have to be Blanton or Happ, with probably the same results...  Seeing how Lee pitched last night it was the right call to give him the extra day.

Only thing I question with Charlie is putting the shift on when Lidge was pitching, everyone knows with Lidge on the mound getting to 2nd is automatic, been that way for 2 years, he got very lucky last year to get all those saves, this year his luck ran out and those guys on 2nd started scoring.

For the former, by having Lee start Game 4, you've him for the start of Game 7 (if that did so happen) Not only has Lee been the most dominant pitcher in the Playoffs, but he was obviously in the Yank's heads, too. By having him start Game 5 negated the Phillies' staff of their one true weapon in the rotation for the return to the Bronx. I cannot be alone here, but does anyone believe anyone outside of Lee fares well in that bandbox against that lineup? Most importantly, it's the World Series. This is where three days rest happens. If by chance Lee would've lost Game 4, oh well...no one would've questioned the call. Cholo got too fancy, and unless they win this thing (for which I hope), it will be a specter in his managerial career.

For the latter, the shift killed Lidge, and you've to credit Damon for his head's up play. It ended up taking away Lidge's best pitch (he wasn't going to chance his slider on going awry, and cost them the game. 

I don't know all the ins and out of Baseball like all the stats and stuff like that but I know when i am watching exciting games,and last night's game was an exciting game.

I haven't been this glued to a baseball game since the I listened to the 2004 world series on the radio.

DocWho, Game 5 was pedestrian in contrast to how epic Game 4 was. The pendulum swing from the bottom-of-the-eighth to the top-of-the-ninth was really something, and A-Rod managed to do some revisionist history.

I don't know all the ins and out of Baseball like all the stats and stuff like that but I know when i am watching exciting games,and last night's game was an exciting game.

The "stat" people can ruin the game for you.    Just know what you like and go with that.

...hahahaha. :)

It can also add an interesting morsel to the overall narrative of baseball.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 03:07:44 PM »
I actually like Jeter, he seems like a stand up guy who busts it on every play despite his wealth and fame.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »

The Phillies lost the series when Manuel named Blanton the Game 4 starter. Stupid.

http://www.faniq.com/article/Brett-Myers-and-Cole-Hamels-nearly-fight-after-Game-5--1860526?ref=fromTS

"I can't wait for it to end," Hamels said, referring to his wildly inconsistent 2009 season. "It's been mentally draining ... It's one of those things, a year in, you just can't wait for a fresh start."

Terrible, Cole.

As for pitching Lee on 3 days rest, OK, so say we did that, and win game 4, who goes game 5?  Would still have to be Blanton or Happ, with probably the same results...  Seeing how Lee pitched last night it was the right call to give him the extra day.

Only thing I question with Charlie is putting the shift on when Lidge was pitching, everyone knows with Lidge on the mound getting to 2nd is automatic, been that way for 2 years, he got very lucky last year to get all those saves, this year his luck ran out and those guys on 2nd started scoring.

For the former, by having Lee start Game 4, you've him for the start of Game 7 (if that did so happen) Not only has Lee been the most dominant pitcher in the Playoffs, but he was obviously in the Yank's heads, too. By having him start Game 5 negated the Phillies' staff of their one true weapon in the rotation for the return to the Bronx. I cannot be alone here, but does anyone believe anyone outside of Lee fares well in that bandbox against that lineup? Most importantly, it's the World Series. This is where three days rest happens. If by chance Lee would've lost Game 4, oh well...no one would've questioned the call. Cholo got too fancy, and unless they win this thing (for which I hope), it will be a specter in his managerial career.

For the latter, the shift killed Lidge, and you've to credit Damon for his head's up play. It ended up taking away Lidge's best pitch (he wasn't going to chance his slider on going awry, and cost them the game. 

I haven't been this glued to a baseball game since the I listened to the 2004 world series on the radio.

DocWho, Game 5 was pedestrian in contrast to how epic Game 4 was. The pendulum swing from the bottom-of-the-eighth to the top-of-the-ninth was really something, and A-Rod managed to do some revisionist history.

The "stat" people can ruin the game for you.    Just know what you like and go with that.

...hahahaha. :)

It can also add an interesting morsel to the overall narrative of baseball.

Sadly I missed game four due to a power outage on my street.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 06:19:01 PM »

Terrible, Cole.

Yea, I know we are now somewhat screwed for game 7 without Lee as a possible starter, but do you really think he would have pitched as well in game 4 as he did in game 5?  I've watched most of his games since coming to the Phillies and he was a little bit off last night, a day earlier maybe he would have been the same, maybe worse.  If worse then we would still have been screwed for game 7.   So it was a crap shoot either way.  Cole losing the first home game was the killer.

Funny how winning the series last year has changed this one for me, if they lose in 6 I won't feel that bad, 2 years in a row getting to watch them play all the way to the end has been great.

Just hope they take all the money from selling out the stadium almost every home game this year and keep the team at this level, if they can keep going this far for a few more years it will be a fun ride.

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 05:52:04 AM »

Do I believe Lee would've pitched as well in Game 4 as he did in 5? I can't say, but it's a risk I'd be willing to take. It completely changed the dynamic of the Series, and I'm sure the Yanks celebrated upon receiving the news. Furthermore, despite the success Burnett had in Game 2 and whatever the end result would've been in Game 4 w/ Lee pitching, I'd have liked the chances of the Phils teeing off on A.J. from looking at his road numbers from this past season (even in light of his dominance against left-handed hitting this season). Oh well, I'll still be cheering them on tonight.  :)

2 years of seeing your team in the World Series...I was psyched for our 1 year in the Playoffs, period! (I waited my entire life to see that happen.)

...and I don't think you'll be seeing the dismantling of your team for a few years. You're gonna have a fun run for a while. Lee's contract status however, w/ his performance in the Playoffs, you're looking in excess of 100 million now, and it'll we be something to follow for you guys in the offseason as far as an extension goes. But I'm sure Amaro will give it his all on getting it done...the revenue from back-to-back World Series' runs has to be sweet!

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." - Einstein

Doctor Who?

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
Well there is no way the Phillies are winning this game.  The Phillies just don't seem to have their heads in the game the way the Yankees do tonight.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2009, 06:59:29 PM »
Did idiot McCarver just say that it would "not be right" for Matsui to play for any other American team besides the Yankees unless he can play with Itchiro as they are both Japanese?     ::)

Crap, Yankees will win and ESPN will spend all winter marveling at how scrappy this 200 million dollar team is.   :angry:

Doctor Who?

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
I can't bare to watch this any more.  If I have to hear about how great the Yankees are all winter it will kill my love of Baseball.

Moleman

« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »
Phuck the Yankees

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2009, 08:55:29 PM »
I'm no Yankee fan but I actually find it pretty surprising that it's been 9 years since their last ring. Given the amount of money they spend and the fact they've won 27 times, it seems like a fairly big drought. But yeah, screw the Yankees.
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2009, 09:03:24 PM »
Well, the team that made the fewer mistakes won.  Phillies picked a bad time to start making mistakes, had only one or 2 times during the season where they played like this, too bad it happened again now.

Hope Raul gets surgery and comes back healthy (and stays healthy) next season.  

Hope Cole can get his head straight for next year.

I think it's 100 days to spring training, bring it on...........

Offline TeamRAD

• Climbed El Capitan
  • RAAAADDDDD!
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »
Crap, Yankees will win and ESPN will spend all winter marveling at how scrappy this 200 million dollar team is.   :angry:

...or you can resort to Ken Rosenthal and have him tell you that "The emotion was real."

:D

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10324640/Yankees-cash-in-with-World-Series-title

...bring on the hot stove!

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2009, 10:45:10 AM »
booooooooooo