Just watching this for the first time in whole since seeing it in the theater way back when. Here's what I learned:
- All people who earn at least 5% over the poverty line are forced to say a line filled with snobbery and dramatic irony at least once every 5 minutes.
- All women who spit, dance like the Irish, drink, smoke and show a little independence will nonetheless fall to pieces and need to be told to swim when the only other option is to drown. All women need a man to truly tell them how to run their lives, despite initial appearances. (cf Avatar)
- Kate Winslet was a whole lot better in Eternal Sunshine...
- You can run in 33 degree temperature water for hours, and possibly swim for even more.
- The movie doesn't work any better with fewer 15-year-old girls screeching and crying through the whole thing.
- The soundtrack consisting of dissonant takes of "My Heart Will Go On" when people are drowning or about to die really shows us the despair of the situation.
- Spending 60 years with a man by your side who loved you is nothing compared to the bum you met for a few hours on a doomed ship 80 years prior.
- Heaven is filled with all of the well-off people from the worst day of your life. They will clap at you for no apparent reason.