login

Author Topic: "Please Don't Leave me" by Pink  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
"Please Don't Leave me" by Pink
« on: October 25, 2009, 12:12:47 AM »
When I heard this song on the radio, I thought "huh, this sounds kinda like the singer is an abusive girlfriend."

Then I looked up the exact lyrics and phrases like "why do you make me so obnoxious?" and "you're my perfect punching bag."

Either this is a very badly written attempt at a romantic song, or a very well-written song about domestic abuse that goes against the "all domestic abuse is redneck husbands beating up their wives" myth.

Dear readers, what is your assessment?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:31:27 AM by Fuzzy Necromancer »
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline goflyblind

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 6509
  • i was told there would be sugar syrup.
Re: "Please Don't Leave me" by Pink
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 05:53:27 AM »
"your my perfect punching bag."

you've used the wrong one. it should be you're. you can tell if you replace it with the terms you are or my. if the first one fits in the sentence, then it's you're; the second one means your. :)
dF = 0
d*F = J

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 1
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »
When I heard this song on the radio, I thought "huh, this sounds kinda like the singer is an abusive girlfriend."

Then I looked up the exact lyrics and phrases like "why do you make me so obnoxious?" and "your my perfect punching bag."

Either this is a very badly written attempt at a romantic song, or a very well-written song about domestic abuse that goes against the "all domestic abuse is redneck husbands beating up their wives" myth.

Dear readers, what is your assessment?
A person can use another person as a punching bag without laying a finger on them.  There's verbal abuse as well.

This is from her "Funhouse" album, which is pretty much all about her divorce - and that divorce is so amicable that the Ex is appearing in videos with her for songs about the divorce.

In fact, looking at the songs altogether it almost sounds like they split up as much for her "acting out" and not wanting to hurt him anymore.

BTW, a mashup I found.....

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/XoJWXIetOf4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/XoJWXIetOf4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 11:34:10 AM »
A person can use another person as a punching bag without laying a finger on them.  There's verbal abuse as well.

I'm aware of that, hence my quote about measuring it against the myth of all domestic abuse being men physically abusing women.

Goflyblind, thanks for the correction.  I fixed it. =o

After looking up the music video for that song, it seems pretty evident that it is a well-written song about abuse.  ^^; 
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 02:57:34 PM »
That "da da da da" vocal hook throughout the song makes me want to punch my girlfriend.