login

Author Topic: Future Classics  (Read 10489 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Future Classics
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2007, 10:48:44 AM »
Clerks is a classic. Nice job Famous, I forgot about that one :)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2007, 11:28:56 AM »
Anchorman

As much as I love Anchorman and agree that it may one day be considered a classic, I'm going to have to take issue with you thinking it's more deserving of classic status than Ghostbusters.  Mostly because Ghostbusters is, always has been, and always will be my favorite movie of all time.  But still...

And Blazing Saddles?  Come on!  Nobody else made movies like that back then.  Nobody in America, anyway.  I guess Monty Python and the Holy Grail came out around the same time.  Even so, both movies were really trailblazers.  Without them, Anchorman and its like frankly could not exist.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2007, 11:30:19 AM »
yeah ghostbusters is definately a classic

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »
Brazil was my favorite film until Tideland came out.  So no, I don't exactly think it's crap.  What I meant to say is that Tideland is better than 12 monkeys, in my opinion, but Tideland will never become a classic, despite however much I want it to.  Though I can see 12 monkeys gaining a lot of respect by the masses.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Tideland. This is the second good thing I've heard of it. Hopefully, it's misunderstood like A Scanner Darkly is. How the fuck the critics missed the ball for that one, I will never know.

I watched it.  It's a good movie, but I didn't enjoy as much as his other films.  The big problem is that it lacks a solid storyline, so things kinda just happen with no real transition.  The other big problem is that its disturbing and offensive in a way that I haven't seen in a long time.  There's just something about it that will make even the most hardened movie-goer genuinely uncomfortable.  However, I also feel I would enjoy it more if I got around to it again.  But, it will NEVER be anything more than an obscure cult movie, it's simply too offensive.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1785
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2007, 12:04:39 PM »
Brazil was my favorite film until Tideland came out.  So no, I don't exactly think it's crap.  What I meant to say is that Tideland is better than 12 monkeys, in my opinion, but Tideland will never become a classic, despite however much I want it to.  Though I can see 12 monkeys gaining a lot of respect by the masses.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Tideland. This is the second good thing I've heard of it. Hopefully, it's misunderstood like A Scanner Darkly is. How the fuck the critics missed the ball for that one, I will never know.

I watched it.  It's a good movie, but I didn't enjoy as much as his other films.  The big problem is that it lacks a solid storyline, so things kinda just happen with no real transition.  The other big problem is that its disturbing and offensive in a way that I haven't seen in a long time.  There's just something about it that will make even the most hardened movie-goer genuinely uncomfortable.  However, I also feel I would enjoy it more if I got around to it again.  But, it will NEVER be anything more than an obscure cult movie, it's simply too offensive.

That's what I loved about it.  It made me so extremely uncomfortable, but then I remember to look at it in a different way, and it was completely understandable.  It constantly shifts from the most ugly and disgusting to the most beautiful and innocent based on the perspective you choose to see it from.  Oh, and it looks amazing, and the acting is amazing.  Sorry, off topic, but I can't help it, it's my favorite film.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:05 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Gilliam's movies more than a bit uneven?  I mean, they always have their good parts, but for every good part it seems like there are looooooooooooooooooooooooooong stretches where nothing happens.  I did like Brazil, though.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2007, 05:03:01 PM »
Am I the only one who finds Gilliam's movies more than a bit uneven?  I mean, they always have their good parts, but for every good part it seems like there are looooooooooooooooooooooooooong stretches where nothing happens.  I did like Brazil, though.

I would say every director has his/her own style of pacing a movie. You've got directors that hit you several times a minute with something throughout the film, and you've got your steadier directors who, for lack of a better term, allow you to 'take a break' during the movie to allow you to digest what you've seen.

A really good director can do both according to what the story demands, in my opinion, and make it work in both scenerios.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2007, 05:58:52 PM »
director with good pacing?  Hitchcock or maybe DeMille?

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »
Modern classics from my most recent top ten of all time list
8. Dark City

here's my dark horse candidate:
-world trade center.  why, you ask? people will watch this 10,20,30 years from now to see what is good about the human race, especially during a national tragedy.

Yes, stylized melodramatic turds about national tragedies that turn the pain of the American people into profit for huge multinational entertainment conglomerates definitely deserve a place in history... for no other reason than to illustrate America's gross fascination with suffering, loss, and watching any movie with Nicolas Cage's name attached to it.

Idiocracy, here we come!
uhh..there's a reason it's called a dark horse pick.

have you seen the movie? it's about 2 guys who were trapped under the debris, their families, & the people who rescued them..  no, it's not the 9/11 movie, and didn't pretend to be.  & comparing it to pearl harbor is silly.

guess i'm not as cynical as you.  let's hear your longshots for being classics so we can all rip those apart,too   ;)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2007, 01:07:52 AM »

guess i'm not as cynical as you.  let's hear your longshots for being classics so we can all rip those apart,too   ;)

davo is cool 

8)    8)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 01:10:00 AM by Minnesota »