login

Author Topic: Future Classics  (Read 10480 times)

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1782
Future Classics
« on: January 16, 2007, 07:26:57 PM »
In the Children of Men topic, TeaFlax suggested that Children of Men is a future classic.  I disagree.  No one knows about it, and unless he meant a cult classic I really don't think it will get that many followers.

Which got me thinking, what are some of the possible future classics from the past few years?  I'm not really sure what the criteria for a classic is, but the most recent I can think of would be Titanic.  Not that I liked it, it's just obviously a classic, for some as-of-yet-undefined reason.  But there has to be something more recent than Titanic.  So I leave it up to you, fellow Riffaholics, what are some recent classics?

P.S.  I personally hate list threads.  I tend to skim over them.  So please, if you are going to list more than one, give reasons for each one.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Future Classics
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 07:32:19 PM »
Lord of the Rings is probably going to be enjoyed by many families for many many years. :^)

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 07:34:32 PM »
Very true... I have a feeling I'm going to be slapping my head a lot and saying "why the hell didn't I think of that?" during the course of this thread.

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »
No one knows about? What? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=childrenofmen.htm

It's not going to be a cult classic... Learn what that term means. Munich will become a future classic. Hugely underrated, it will thrive on DVD. Also, Citizen Kane tanked in release. It must be a cult classic, right?

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 07:43:31 PM »
Modern classics from my most recent top ten of all time list
1. Matrix
2. LOTR trilogy
4. Black Sheep
8. Dark City

A few other that I can think of are
Pulp Fiction (how 90's are we willing to make the list?)
Tommy Boy,
Happy Gilmour,
Waynes Wold
Young guns (how 80's are we willing to make this list?)
Ghost Busters

Offline Andrew1911

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 07:45:13 PM »
Modern classics from my most recent top ten of all time list
1. Matrix
2. LOTR trilogy
4. Black Sheep
8. Dark City

A few other that I can think of are
Pulp Fiction (how 90's are we willing to make the list?)
Tommy Boy,
Happy Gilmour,
Waynes Wold
Young guns (how 80's are we willing to make this list?)
Ghost Busters

Pulp Fiction's already been classified as a modern classic. Tommy Boy? Happy Gilmour? It's not happening. Ever. Stop dreaming. It's never ever going to happen. Ever. Ghostbusters could be classified as a classic.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »
cool, I'll accept your opinio ;) I just picture movies I sit around with friends watching the most, guess I'll have to narrow it a bit... so 1999 plus is a good start?

Online Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »
No one knows about? What? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=childrenofmen.htm

It's not going to be a cult classic... Learn what that term means. Munich will become a future classic. Hugely underrated, it will thrive on DVD. Also, Citizen Kane tanked in release. It must be a cult classic, right?

I was not aware of COM's commercial success.  But the current reaction I'm hearing from people who are not into film is "it was ok."  I try not to count the opinions of those who are in the industry because it's hard not to be impressed by the technical aspect of Children of Men, which isn't really an actuate predictor of a future classic.  But I could be horribly wrong, and it might be appreciated more than I think.  Hopefully I am. 

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
Movies that will probably be watched for years to come.

Matrix
Fight Club
Terminator 2
The Professional
Memento
Requiem for a Dream
Seven
12 Monkeys
Brazil

Just off the top of my head, there's probably many more.  The unfortunate truth is that there's a lot less classics being produced.  The 70's was the golden era of timeless classics.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3892
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 08:11:14 PM »
ONLY Terminator 2? I agree, it's the better movie,  but if it survives the ages, it's going to have to bring T1 along with it or it won't make any sense. T3 can be lost and forgotten, though. It was all right, but it won't survive the ages. :^)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13:03 PM »
ONLY Terminator 2? I agree, it's the better movie,  but if it survives the ages, it's going to have to bring T1 along with it or it won't make any sense. T3 can be lost and forgotten, though. It was all right, but it won't survive the ages. :^)

Well considering most of us are movie buffs we've all seen T1, but the truth of the matter is that 99 percent of the people that saw  terminator 2 haven't seen the first one. not a classic, besides T2 stands up on its own and is still a classic
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:38:23 PM by Minnesota »

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:29:03 PM »

We'll considering most of us are movie buffs we've all seen T1, but the truth of the matter is that 99 percent of the people that saw  terminator 2 haven't seen the first one. not a classic, besides T2 stands up on its on and is still a classic

I'd have to agree with that.  I own T2, but not T1.  I've seen both of them, but I'm never in the mood to watch T1.  Occasionally, I still want to watch T2 though.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 07:58:08 AM »
Tommy Boy? Happy Gilmour? It's not happening. Ever. Stop dreaming. It's never ever going to happen. Ever. Ghostbusters could be classified as a classic.

Au Contraire, while Tommy Boy might not make the grade in the long run, I think Happy Gilmore will. With classic sports films like Slap Shot and The Bad News Bears, Happy's a no-brainer. Honestly, how many Golf movies have this type of mentality? A hockey wannabe plays golf? Genius.   ;D

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 08:54:52 AM »

Well considering most of us are movie buffs we've all seen T1, but the truth of the matter is that 99 percent of the people that saw  terminator 2 haven't seen the first one. not a classic, besides T2 stands up on its own and is still a classic

No offense... but that is one bat-shit insane statement. You don't make a massive, big budget sequel for a movie that nobody saw. The Terminator was a pretty successful movie for it's day. Obviously, the cable and home video markets booming in the late 80s helped the sequels cause but by no means was it some cult flick that failed at the box office. I don't recall where or when I read it, but I'm pretty sure the original film was a top 5 box office performer for something like eight straight weeks and held the number one spot for three. It was a pretty big hit, maybe not Star Wars / Indiana Jones / ET big... but I can still remember being pissed off because my dad said I was too young to see an R-rated movie. The idea that 99% of the T2 viewers had never seen the first one is just whacked even in terms of a silly exaggeration.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 09:25:07 AM »
Well, even though a lot of people don't like them, I don't think the Star Wars prequels have much of a chance of being forgotten.  (And I do like them as a whole.)  I think you could already consider Toy Story somewhat of a classic, given that it was the first of its kind, and it's been at least 10 years since it was first released.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104