Author Topic: MPEG issues for "Damaged Goods" & "Primary Safety"  (Read 1128 times)

Offline onib

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
MPEG issues for "Damaged Goods" & "Primary Safety"
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:21 AM »
When burning a collection of Shorts to DVD, I kept experiencing issues when using the MPEG version of "Damaged Goods" and "Primary Safety: In The School Building."  They seemed fine on my computer, but when burned to DVD, they would pause at random moments or the screen would cut to black.  I redownloaded the files, re-encoded them, etc., but nothing seemed to help.  I couldn't find the originals to either of these on archive.org, so using alternate video was not an option.

Finally, I have hit upon the problem.  Unlike the other Shorts, these two MPEG files are encoded at 23.976 fps rather than the NTSC standard 29.97 fps.  This caused a loss of frames or confusion when being sped up to the 29.97 fps that an NTSC DVD expects.

In the end, with a heavy heart, I gave up on using the high-quality MPEG version of these Shorts, and burned them to DVD with a convertion of the DIX versions.  I just wanted to list my problem here for future generations to note, in case anyone else runs into the same problem.