Author Topic: 24 (spoilers)  (Read 16483 times)

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
24 (spoilers)
« on: January 15, 2007, 11:54:30 PM »
Yeah I am a huge fan of 24....honestly I don't care for t.v. much lately but 24, and BSG are my obsessions....

SO considering one of our very posters on this board Mr. Torso looks oddly enough a lot like a Jack Bauer threatening a terrorist with a toy guitar...

I figured we needed a 24 topic to discuss the many twists and turns of this new season.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: 24 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:53:46 AM »
Wow, that's going in the Separated @ Birth thread.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 09:13:47 AM »
I too am a huge 24 fan - been watching since the first episode, although I missed eps of Day 3 when I was at college and just kept missing it.

What did you think of the first four hours?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only other network show that stands up to 24 is The Shield. I almost wish 24 would get moved to Fox's sister network, FX, because those shows tend to be more cutting edge. Imagine what the show would be like if they could show more things, and the actors were allowed to speak the way most people do in real life. Man that'd be sweet.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 09:18:04 AM »
We watched the first four hours all in one sitting last night. It was pretty good. We usually play the 24 Drinking game and we added a new item to the list for this season. Every time someone says "sacrifice" you gotta drink. And how about Curtis?!!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »

I like "24" and I thought the first four hours were a solid start... although the show is quickly becoming a self-parody. It's like they have their "24 Standard Season Checklist" in play:

1) Multiple romantic relationships that will lead to obvious conflicts of interest in the not too distant future? Check

2) Well known, well liked character from a previous season killed and/or critically injured? Check

3) Jack fighting a huge internal demon that will be completely forgotten by hour 7 or 8? Check

4) Weasle-like White House advisor guy that is given the hard sell as a "bad guy", but you know it's a red herring? Check

5) A not really important secondary bad guy escaping and making it clear across Los Angeles in under 10 minutes to meet with the main important badguy? Check

6) The premiere episode(s) ending with everybody starting out back at square one with no viable leads? Check

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »

I like "24" and I thought the first four hours were a solid start... although the show is quickly becoming a self-parody. It's like they have their "24 Standard Season Checklist" in play:

1) Multiple romantic relationships that will lead to obvious conflicts of interest in the not too distant future? Check

2) Well known, well liked character from a previous season killed and/or critically injured? Check

3) Jack fighting a huge internal demon that will be completely forgotten by hour 7 or 8? Check

4) Weasle-like White House advisor guy that is given the hard sell as a "bad guy", but you know it's a red herring? Check

5) A not really important secondary bad guy escaping and making it clear across Los Angeles in under 10 minutes to meet with the main important badguy? Check

6) The premiere episode(s) ending with everybody starting out back at square one with no viable leads? Check

I agree with you on that, however... when you think about it... almost every show in existence does the same thing. Unfortunately most shows are formulaic but I respect 24 for finding a way to make the same ingredients into something new and interesting. Also 24 was one of the first shows to kill off main, even well-liked characters the way they do. For a network show they're a pretty big pioneer.

I'm interested in seeing how they take the formula we all know too well, and screwing with us some more. At least I hope they will because that's one of the things that makes the show what it is! I also like the take on the..

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 10:36:57 AM »

I agree with you on that, however... when you think about it... almost every show in existence does the same thing. Unfortunately most shows are formulaic but I respect 24 for finding a way to make the same ingredients into something new and interesting. Also 24 was one of the first shows to kill off main, even well-liked characters the way they do. For a network show they're a pretty big pioneer.

I'm interested in seeing how they take the formula we all know too well, and screwing with us some more. At least I hope they will because that's one of the things that makes the show what it is! I also like the take on the..

I agree with you, TP.  It's simultaneously gritty and escapist - very fun to watch.

As for this season, my favorite part of it so far has been the parts that involve Assad.  Assad is awesome. 
  That is all I have to say.

Nunyerbiz forgot ONE key ingredient, though: Jack saying something like "PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON!" in his "outdoor voice" at least once per episode. ;D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 10:40:45 AM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 10:41:03 AM »
Nunyerbiz forgot ONE key ingredient, though: Jack saying something like "PUT DOWN YOUR WEAPON!" in his "outdoor voice" at least once per episode. ;D

DAMMIT!!!!!

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 10:54:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm going to have to invoke the spirit of Penn & Teller and call B.S. on that show last night. When I heard that there was going to be a truly horrifying and unexpected plot twist at the end of hour 4, a nuke going off in the city was one of the first things I mentally dismissed from fitting that criterion.

This storyline shows nothing more than desperation on the part of the writers. "We've got to up the ante, but we ran out of interesting ideas 3 seasons ago. Hmmm... nuke L.A.? Yeah, ok..." It's the same sort of "What's the biggest thing ever" thought process that leads to the President being the bad guy, or Captain Kirk meeting God. What's more, it's supposed to up the ante, but releasing a biological weapon in season 3 was considerably more suspensful than the nuke last night.

And as far as killing Curtis goes, we've long since learned that the dramatic heart-wrenching death of a beloved character is just the producers' way of telling us that the actor wanted too much money. It's been at least 3 years since a character's death actually meant anything. Now it's just a time-consuming layoff ritual.

There were a couple other 24-isms that I had to laugh at.  Viz:

#1: It seems like they've given up even pretending that Jack fits into the real-time format any more. CTU ordered an air strike that took 15 minutes to carry out. In that 15 minutes, Jack had a chance to kill a terrorist, break out of his shackles, escape his cell, elude his captors, find a car, have a chat with CTU, wait on hold, chat with the President, type in some coordinates on a convenient GPS device, hotwire the car, drive (in rush hour traffic) to the address given somewhere in one of the biggest and busiest cities in the world, sneak around the house, take out a couple henchmen, break in, negotiate with the house's occupants, expose a mole, and take his ally to safety just before the missiles struck.

I live in a relatively small town, I chose a job relatively close to my home, and I can't drive there at 4 a.m. on a Sunday morning as fast as Jack did all that. He's on the wrong show. He should be on Heroes.

#2. Do I even need to say anything about kicking a terrorist through a subway door at the same moment that he pushes a button and not even getting shrapnel wounds from the bomb? With explosives that impotent, why didn't Jack just tell everyone to step back a couple paces and let the kid have his fun?

I'm afraid 24 is now just some goofy cartoonishness with a dramatically self-important facade, like a Moore-era James Bond film produced by Merchant Ivory. I think the only way to save the series now is to bring in Mike for a commentary track.

But then, I'm still watching, so I can't complain too much.

Offline Baron Samedi

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 10:58:01 AM »

I once started a drinking game in which you had to take a shot anytime anyone shouted "Now!" or "Do your job!"  It didn't work too well, though... by the time I woke up I could never remember the last half of the episode.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 11:17:01 AM »
Well, in the shows defence... They haven't really cared much about the "real time" gimmick in a long time. Over and over again, the entire LA area can be traversed via SUV in under 15 minutes. I pay no attention to the clock anymore, it has no relevance.

As far as nuking LA, they really didn't do that. Granted, there will be massive death and destruction in the suburbs but they said the bad guys were 20 miles outside of the city. The immediate blast radius was established as a half mile. If you take the graphic they showed as being to scale, the immediate fallout zone was maybe 2-3 miles. So yea, the nuke went off on US soil and in the context of the show, it's a horrible thing. Just don't expect for a minute that anything recognizable as being "LA" will ever be effected by a nuke. Their location scouts wouldn't know where to shoot anything.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the first three seasons (maybe season 2 was a little suspect, but whatever). Since then, it has been slowly sliding into goofiness. I didn't expect anything less, you just can't keep the premise fresh for this many years. There is only so much of the tertiary stuff you can change around when every episode revolves around "talk on cell phone, reposition satellite, talk more on cell phone, shoot bad guys, discover the new bad guys for next story arc, repeat".

I'm a fan of the show and it's always a fun ride. I forgive the faults the same way I forgive silly 80's action movies. It's more about the "ohhs and ahhhs" and the badass hero then it is a coherent plot.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2007, 11:30:31 AM »

I just wanted to say that i love 24... it's like an addiction at my house. Although, i refuse to begin watching until i have a good number of episodes saved up on my TiVo. Because once i start watching that show i can't stop, and if i have to wait a whole week after one of those cliffhanger endings... i'd probably chew my nails off.

Anyway, once i catch up, i'll come back here and actually read the thread.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 11:35:13 AM »

As far as nuking LA, they really didn't do that. Granted, there will be massive death and destruction in the suburbs but they said the bad guys were 20 miles outside of the city. The immediate blast radius was established as a half mile. If you take the graphic they showed as being to scale, the immediate fallout zone was maybe 2-3 miles. So yea, the nuke went off on US soil and in the context of the show, it's a horrible thing. Just don't expect for a minute that anything recognizable as being "LA" will ever be effected by a nuke. Their location scouts wouldn't know where to shoot anything.

Good observation, I assumed as much, but you were paying much closer attention ;)

Anyways, I really enjoyed the first three seasons (maybe season 2 was a little suspect, but whatever). Since then, it has been slowly sliding into goofiness. I didn't expect anything less, you just can't keep the premise fresh for this many years. There is only so much of the tertiary stuff you can change around when every episode revolves around "talk on cell phone, reposition satellite, talk more on cell phone, shoot bad guys, discover the new bad guys for next story arc, repeat".

Yup, first three were definetly the best. I miss chase and that abomination that is season 2 of prision break, just doesnt cut it. In my opinion of course. Hey have you played the 24 playstation game, I highly recomend it for fans of 24: season 3.

I'm a fan of the show and it's always a fun ride. I forgive the faults the same way I forgive silly 80's action movies. It's more about the "ohhs and ahhhs" and the badass hero then it is a coherent plot.

Hmm, I recomend a fast forward button, but I have a short attention span for predictable plot... trust me, you wont miss a thing :)

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2007, 11:37:43 AM »
And as far as killing Curtis goes, we've long since learned that the dramatic heart-wrenching death of a beloved character is just the producers' way of telling us that the actor wanted too much money. It's been at least 3 years since a character's death actually meant anything. Now it's just a time-consuming layoff ritual.

Not true. Every actor who's had their character killed off has said that they don't even know they're being killed off until they read the script. And even then sometimes they don't go through with it and end up killing them off later (anyways?) instead.

Although I, like many others, was pissed that when they killed Tony last year they just sort of shrugged it off. Tony, who saved the day in the previous season, complete with hero music, and one of the only other characters to ever appear who could hold his own with Jack. And to top it off they didn't do the "silent clock" that usually comes when a main character dies. They did it for frigging Edgar (which was still pretty heart wrenching) but not Tony? wtf?

But yeah even if the show does get a little silly, at least they remembered to stay away from cougars. The show still kicks ass and I'll keep watching.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

I just wanted to say that i love 24... it's like an addiction at my house. Although, i refuse to begin watching until i have a good number of episodes saved up on my TiVo. Because once i start watching that show i can't stop, and if i have to wait a whole week after one of those cliffhanger endings... i'd probably chew my nails off.

Anyway, once i catch up, i'll come back here and actually read the thread.

-Rude

I know what you mean, I used to do the same thing (net/wait for dvd). I dont anymore though, I think I'm gonna try and keep up with this year, because if your as used to the show as I am, the cliffhangers arent what they once were. In my opinion of course.