login

Author Topic: Getting Error Message  (Read 2349 times)

Offline amber

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Getting Error Message
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:52:38 PM »
1st time attempting to use RiffTrax Player to watch Road House.
When I open Riff Trax player I get, "Error Occurred: A connection with the server could not be established."
I have internet connection and have downloaded all files. I was able to get Road House Riff to load one time but could not get the player to recognize the Road House DVD and sync/ start playing anything. Store bought copy of movie.
Was not aware that a server needed to be connected to in order to watch movie with Riffs.
Can you help me out at all. I'm new and don't really know what I'm doing.

Thanks!!

Offline shortymac09

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Re: Getting Error Message
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:03:45 PM »
I am also getting this error message, I have done:

-uninstall/reinstall
-downloaded all codecs suggested
-uninstalled, re-downloaded and installed again

same issue, I was also connected to the internet via my my wi-fi and hardline

Does anyone know if an older version would make this work?  i can find them on the internets

thanks!

Offline sendtoscott

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
This app reads a DVD in my drive and a file on my filesystem.  Can't y'all just check once for an application update, say nothing if the server is unavailable (since I can't do anything about that), and just friggin run instead of giving me 10 error messages about not being able to establish a connection with a server I don't need right now?

Please?

Offline rottendeadite

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »
I get exactly the same issue.  It's not a firewall issue, I can promise you that.

Offline rottendeadite

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 05:12:24 PM »
Okay I stuck my nose around for a little while and uninstalling the rifftrax player results in an error that says that it cannot create an SMTP connection to 209.234.190.27, which is the Rifftrax email server (to be specific, exmail.rifftrax.com).  I don't know if this is the same server it can't connect to when running (it's probably not) but maybe that's part of the puzzle?

Maybe someone who works at the IT Hive-Mind at the RiffTrax corporate mega-complex dropped a server?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 06:41:00 PM »
Interesting. I don't know if anyone of us have realized that or not. It looks like it's trying to email us something (probably a crash report, usage stats, etc.) via the exmail server which isn't something that happens anymore, AFAIK.

You should be able to safely ignore that.

Offline wilfred

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:43:37 AM »
Any solution to this? It is extremely annoying and wastes about 3 minutes of my time each time I use it. So annoying in fact that I created an account just to ask about it. :angry:

Offline Negative_One

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:58:04 AM »
No Help, I just gave up on rifftrax for the last two months, but I wanted to toss in one to laugh, forgetting about the problems. So no solutions yet?