login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 323513 times)

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1261
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
Re: General Game News
« Reply #1800 on: August 24, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/u5JCsO6eblw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/u5JCsO6eblw</a>

Dark Souls 3: Ashes of Ariandel trailer.

As someone who's put 160 hours into DS3 already, I'm looking forward to this.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #1801 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:32 PM »
Obduction comes out today! (Kickstartered game by cyan, creators of Myst). I've been reading the Myst companion novel (surprisingly good so far) which has put me in the mood for some environmental exploration, and Obduction promises to scratch that itch.

Here's a launch trailer that I'm not going to watch because I don't want any spoilers.

Apparently you don't want anyone else to watch it either  :P It's just a white block on my screen.

I had no idea Cyan was even making a new game. I'll definitely give it a try at some point (even though I never did finish Riven)

That's weird. It's working on my iPhone.

I love Riven. I played it in middle school at had to use a guide to beat it, unable to understand half the puzzles. But a few months ago I sat down with it and made myself work at it without using a guide until I beat it. Was pretty proud that I managed, as some of the puzzles are quite difficult. I did remember a few very vague details about puzzles from my youth, but not many.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1802 on: August 24, 2016, 02:24:44 PM »
Civilization VI gets a spiffy collector's edition about one week after I cave in and get the Steam Controller bundle preorder!

http://store.2k.com/store/Tk22k/en_US/pd/productID.5065772600

Offline CJones

« Reply #1803 on: August 24, 2016, 04:49:08 PM »
Obduction comes out today! (Kickstartered game by cyan, creators of Myst). I've been reading the Myst companion novel (surprisingly good so far) which has put me in the mood for some environmental exploration, and Obduction promises to scratch that itch.

Here's a launch trailer that I'm not going to watch because I don't want any spoilers.

Apparently you don't want anyone else to watch it either  :P It's just a white block on my screen.

I had no idea Cyan was even making a new game. I'll definitely give it a try at some point (even though I never did finish Riven)

That's weird. It's working on my iPhone.

I love Riven. I played it in middle school at had to use a guide to beat it, unable to understand half the puzzles. But a few months ago I sat down with it and made myself work at it without using a guide until I beat it. Was pretty proud that I managed, as some of the puzzles are quite difficult. I did remember a few very vague details about puzzles from my youth, but not many.

I can't see it in Firefox, IE or Chrome. Looks like you're using different embed code than what I was taught to do:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2wCPOTK587o?rel=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2wCPOTK587o?rel=0</a>

Same as what you did, except replace the "embed" with "v"

And yeah, I beat Myst back in grade school. I was able to do it without any help, but I never figured out the underground railway puzzle, so I just mapped out the entire thing on graph paper. Didn't make much headway on Riven though, even though I played it MUCH later. Or maybe it was because I played it much later.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1010
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #1804 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
So over the course of the last few Civilization games, I've gotten into the habit of pursuing peaceful victory conditions (Space Race, Cultural Victory, etc..). I tend to build a decent-sized civilization with a strong enough army to keep anyone from bothering me while I amass scientific discoveries and wonders. I need to break that habit. My question to fellow civ players: How do you know when it's time to start squashing civilizations? Is there a certain Technology/Unit you wait for? Do you immediately squash any smaller/less advanced civ you find?

This is a combo of my experience and watching folks on Twitch, but either you amass a large force early and then pounce (usually around catapult era) or you wait until you get a certain level of tech lead. My personal preference is around the Great war/Normal infantry/Dynamite level. If your neighbor isn't right at your level, infantry wise, you'll be at Infantry to their Rifleman and have twice their combat strength, plus you base melee unit will generally be higher strength than their cities. At that point, mass up, find whatever neighbor near you is rolloverable  and proceed from there.

(And for Mongols, you get 4-5 horse archers and then start hording.)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1805 on: August 25, 2016, 02:49:18 PM »
Uh-oh. This bodes ill.

For those who can't read the address bar, that's from dukenukem.com

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1806 on: August 25, 2016, 03:58:04 PM »
So, I'm a big Disgaea fan. I own pretty much every version released on every platform. And the series is starting to get ported to Steam, making me even happier as I no longer need a PSP or PS2 around to play them. So, Atlus just announced Disgaea 2 was coming to PC early in 2017 and they announced a special PC collector's edition available on their website.

And it doesn't have the game in it.

Yeah, folks are not reacting well to that.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1807 on: August 25, 2016, 04:02:25 PM »
Oh, and PS Now is apparently coming to PCs and Macs. So if you've always wanted to play, say Uncharted or Last of US but don't have a PS3, now you can play it on PC, albeit it in a streamed to your PC fashion.

Offline CJones

« Reply #1808 on: August 25, 2016, 04:23:20 PM »
Oh, and PS Now is apparently coming to PCs and Macs. So if you've always wanted to play, say Uncharted or Last of US but don't have a PS3, now you can play it on PC, albeit it in a streamed to your PC fashion.

Yes please. I really want to play The Last of Us, but my console buying days are over. Now tell me that Bloodborne is coming to PC and I'll do a backflip.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1809 on: August 25, 2016, 10:55:05 PM »
So, I'm a big Disgaea fan. I own pretty much every version released on every platform. And the series is starting to get ported to Steam, making me even happier as I no longer need a PSP or PS2 around to play them. So, Atlus just announced Disgaea 2 was coming to PC early in 2017 and they announced a special PC collector's edition available on their website.

Like- Not even a download code?

Offline CJones

« Reply #1810 on: August 26, 2016, 02:36:15 PM »
Obduction killed my PSU!

No, believe it or not, that's actually a good thing.

Back in April, my 540w PSU died (not surprising considering I recently installed a GTX 970). The repair shop replaced it with an Azza Dynamo 850w (DO NOT BUY). From day one, my computer started spontaneously shutting off during certain games. Namely Street Fighter V and Starcraft 2. Problem was, I could never recreate the problem reliably. Then Obduction was released. This game shut my PC off consistently in less than 20 minutes. I took it to the repair shop and Hallelujah! It shut off with Obduction playing. I can finally get this PSU replaced with one that doesn't suck, for free.

I've never been so happy to see my computer die.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1811 on: August 26, 2016, 03:21:10 PM »
I guess you haven't been playing No Man's Sky?  My PC puts out way more heat running that game vs. Obduction.  I think No Man's Sky taxes the CPU more than Obduction, but Obduction seems to tax the GPU more.  Funny how a walking around game renders detailed stuff out to a farther distance than a game with a space ship.  ::)

Offline d00hickey

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #1812 on: August 26, 2016, 08:16:36 PM »
I guess you haven't been playing No Man's Sky?  My PC puts out way more heat running that game vs. Obduction.  I think No Man's Sky taxes the CPU more than Obduction, but Obduction seems to tax the GPU more.  Funny how a walking around game renders detailed stuff out to a farther distance than a game with a space ship.  ::)

F No Mans Sky. I was sure I liked it while playing it, now every time I think about playing it I cringe. It had me feeling the Stockholm syndrome.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #1813 on: August 26, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »

Like- Not even a download code?

Nope.

I'll note that my CE of Disgaea 1 for PC (from the same company) did come with a Steam Code (which was emailed to me a week before the physical product shipped and the game launch), so yeah. Like I said, folks are not reacting well.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 3224
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #1814 on: August 26, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
F No Mans Sky. I was sure I liked it while playing it, now every time I think about playing it I cringe. It had me feeling the Stockholm syndrome.

Ha! 

But the next time you play it things will be better.  Really, I promise no more bad stuff will happen in No Man's Sky.  Just come back and everything will be great from now on.  Come on, think of the planets.  You don't want to leave them all unexplored and lonely, do you?  We all know you love the planets, don't leave them like this.

You had fun exploring, didn't you?  We all make mistakes, so what there is no story, so you worked hard for a goal and when you got there it was a kick in the teeth, can't we forgive and move on?  Come on back, just one more planet......

>:D