login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 253079 times)

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
Re: General Game News
« Reply #720 on: September 20, 2013, 06:09:00 AM »
There's a price drop today on the Wii U, down to $300.  There's also a nice Zelda Wind Waker bundle. If I didn't have a Wii U already, I'd get the special bundle.  And knowing Nintendo, the thing will be super limited.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #721 on: September 20, 2013, 06:24:32 AM »
There's a price drop today on the Wii U, down to $300.  There's also a nice Zelda Wind Waker bundle. If I didn't have a Wii U already, I'd get the special bundle.  And knowing Nintendo, the thing will be super limited.

Saw that was coming out a couple weeks ago when we started looking at new consoles. We already have the GC version of Windwaker, but the graphics are pretty dated, so I'm sure the kids wouldn't mind having it again. Plus you've got the pretty controller.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #722 on: September 20, 2013, 11:27:19 AM »

I thought it didn't take effect until the 22nd?  (I was looking at one today because I couldn't remember when the drop was & both the Toys R Us & Best Buy near me still had them at the $349 price.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #723 on: September 23, 2013, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #724 on: September 25, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »
And Valve announces a Steam Box, or to be more precise "The Steam Machine."

I'd sign up for the beta, but I'm one of those neanderthals who still doesn't have an HDTV.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #725 on: September 26, 2013, 09:36:11 PM »
Well, just saw that there is the new 'Thief' game coming out.  While I love the Thief series (and the graphics for this one look REALLY good, an issue the Thief games always had against them), I do have my doubts...

1. The Eidos Montreal team that worked on Deus Ex Revolution?  Not the ones that made this.
2. While it appears to be a new story, it's still technically a reboot.  So, I guess whenever anybody makes a trilogy these days, that is where we end a series.  Anything that follows must be a reboot of some sort.
2. Rumors during development suggested they were going to 'borrow' a lot of elements from Assassin's Creed, like climbing and acrobatics.  Which leads to the third point...
3. The motion capture of Garrett did not fit the voice of Stephen Russell, so he is NOT voicing the character again.  Who is doing it now?  The guy who did Giovanni Auditore from AC:Lineage.

Now, I don't want to cast aspersions on the actor...I'm sure he did as good a job as any...but really?  This is what it's come to?  Not only are they supposedly borrowing game mechanics from Assassin's Creed, but one of the actual Assassins as well?  Needless to say, there's a LOT of petitions circulating to get Stephen Russell back and doing the voice again.  Whether they'll go anywhere is anyone's guess.

I really do want to like this game.  I do.  But it sounds like it's going to suffer from "Platinum Dune" syndrome...you know, that horrible disease where a studio gets hold of a property and doesn't understand one thing about why it was successful in the first place by Michael Bay-ing the crap out of it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Quantum Vagina

« Reply #726 on: September 27, 2013, 11:38:12 AM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128240-Valve-Reveals-the-Steam-Controller

Anyone ELSE think that Valve released it's newsbursts in reverse order? This is really just underwhelming. Don't get me wrong, I'm VERY interested to see if this controller is worth anything, but I think having it all lead up to the Steam OS would've been a better way to do it. Even putting the Steambox last would've been better. But the CONTROLLER? It's not THAT impressive.

Offline d00hickey

• Liked: 478
  • Rohan Stan the Jelly Man
« Reply #727 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:03 PM »
Well, just saw that there is the new 'Thief' game coming out.  While I love the Thief series (and the graphics for this one look REALLY good, an issue the Thief games always had against them), I do have my doubts...

1. The Eidos Montreal team that worked on Deus Ex Revolution?  Not the ones that made this.
2. While it appears to be a new story, it's still technically a reboot.  So, I guess whenever anybody makes a trilogy these days, that is where we end a series.  Anything that follows must be a reboot of some sort.
2. Rumors during development suggested they were going to 'borrow' a lot of elements from Assassin's Creed, like climbing and acrobatics.  Which leads to the third point...
3. The motion capture of Garrett did not fit the voice of Stephen Russell, so he is NOT voicing the character again.  Who is doing it now?  The guy who did Giovanni Auditore from AC:Lineage.

Now, I don't want to cast aspersions on the actor...I'm sure he did as good a job as any...but really?  This is what it's come to?  Not only are they supposedly borrowing game mechanics from Assassin's Creed, but one of the actual Assassins as well?  Needless to say, there's a LOT of petitions circulating to get Stephen Russell back and doing the voice again.  Whether they'll go anywhere is anyone's guess.

I really do want to like this game.  I do.  But it sounds like it's going to suffer from "Platinum Dune" syndrome...you know, that horrible disease where a studio gets hold of a property and doesn't understand one thing about why it was successful in the first place by Michael Bay-ing the crap out of it.

Official release date announced as Feb 25
I have some of the same reservations as you, being an oldschool Thief, but for now I'm staying optimistic, the previews look great and we won't really know how good the game is until after release. I also tend to think most of those petitions are non sense. For me when it comes to video games, as apposed to movies, I'm much more forgiving about cast changes. I see no reason a different actor couldn't be just as good of a Garret as anyone, especially in a different continuity than the original trilogy.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4308
« Reply #728 on: September 27, 2013, 03:41:37 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nZNXUtThHuk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nZNXUtThHuk</a>
The weird thing is the glass top floor has the right dimensions in the actual game.  Not sure why it's messed up here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:46:14 PM by The Lurker »

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #729 on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »

I thought it didn't take effect until the 22nd?  (I was looking at one today because I couldn't remember when the drop was & both the Toys R Us & Best Buy near me still had them at the $349 price.

I picked one of these up. Figure I should spread the games I'll never play across another platform. (Still working on The Last of Us)

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #730 on: September 27, 2013, 06:16:58 PM »
The Last of Us is amazing, I just didn't like the absurdly low FPS because it hurts my eyes. 

Offline Space version 2.0

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 719
« Reply #731 on: September 27, 2013, 06:26:19 PM »
The Last of Us is amazing, I just didn't like the absurdly low FPS because it hurts my eyes.
I got it on release. It just seems that I've lost a lot of my interest in video games, or at least my interest in doing nothing but play them for a few days.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #732 on: September 27, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

I picked one of these up. Figure I should spread the games I'll never play across another platform. (Still working on The Last of Us)

I should be getting mine sometime before the end of October. Plus then I can get in on the Wii Street U and Wii Fit U deals (free & free with the registration of a Fit Meter) before those are up. Will I use them a ton? Probably not but free is nice.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3071
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #733 on: September 27, 2013, 08:25:52 PM »
Worst news ever:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/28/canceled-lucasarts-games-included-day-of-the-tentacle-hd

When Disney axed Lucasarts, they axed Day of the Tentacle HD!

Offline d00hickey

« Reply #734 on: September 29, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
I got it on release. It just seems that I've lost a lot of my interest in video games, or at least my interest in doing nothing but play them for a few days.

I play allot but I have video game ADD, I play like an hour at a time two or three times a day and a different game each time. By the end of a week of doing this they all blend together in my head and I forget the controls.