login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 256783 times)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Re: General Game News
« Reply #675 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:14 AM »
Nintendo announces the $129.99 2DS!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/28/nintendo-announces-2ds

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I like the price point & being able to play 3DS games instead of listening to my kids whining about how my wife's DSi won't play the 3DS games that they really want to play.  I don't like how it doesn't fold because I know my kids will wreck it.

If our DSi bites the big one I might consider picking one up eventually.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3115
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #676 on: August 30, 2013, 12:11:45 PM »
Wayforward is kickstarting something in about 4 hours. There's a countdown timer on their website:

http://www.wayforward.com/

A new Shantae? Darkwing Duck Remastered? A new IP starring a scantily clad girl who looks just young enough to make you feel creepy? Only time will tell.

Edit. Whoops. Misread their timer. More like in about 5 days...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:48:43 PM by Pak-Man »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1479
« Reply #677 on: September 01, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Star Citizen has now raised $17 million through crowd funding.  That's quite close to the $20 to $22 million they reportedly need to fully fund a AAA game.  It's quite an accomplishment, and I love that they are showing their work.  They just released the Hanger Module which lets you walk around and check out the ship you bought in the game engine.  It's full of bugs and it doesn't do much, but I like that they let me see the bugs.  They let backers in on the very beginning of the game.  And they post news and interviews and progress reports all the time.  I love that they are being so open and showing their work.  It's how a crowd funded game should be run.

Unlike the disaster that is the crowd funded Mechwarrior Online.  I was in the closed beta, and there was so much hope.  The developers would talk with the community sometimes, and they held such strong beliefs about what a free to play Mechwarrior should be: only first person view from in the cockpit and no pay-to-win items sold for cash.  Those were promises they made.

Well they back tracked on that first promise when they added coolant flushes for cash.  But now the community is in revolt after the inclusion of third person view.  They had been talking about adding it to help new players orient themselves, but would include a hardcore mode that would disable third person view to prevent seeing over and around obstacles.   But when third person was finally implemented, without so much as a word to the community, there was no hardcore mode.  A couple days later the developers claimed they had changed their minds and found that 3pv didn't effect the game that much, but needed to implement it to attract a wider audience.

Sorry this is so long, but it does make me angry.  They took players money (quite a lot of my money)  based on features that were promised before most people started playing the game.  Now that the core community funded the game's development, they have said 'fuck you' to those fans and started moving the game towards a more casual audience, implementing features just to attract more players.  They did all this two weeks before the game is to officially launch and come out of beta.  Add to that the complete lack of communication with the community and the delay / possible cancelation of many other promised features, and you have a big fucking mess.

I had so much hope for this game, and I have been waiting and waiting to come here and tell you guys about how great it has become.  But now, the best I can hope for is they pull a Microsoft and do a 180 on their recent changes.  If they don't, I really do hope the game fails.  Sad to say it, but I hope it fails hard.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #678 on: September 02, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »
Anyway, the creator of Megaman is doing a Kickstarter for a game that looks rather familiar:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5090
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #679 on: September 02, 2013, 04:45:49 AM »
Looks cool.  I don't mind that it is clearly just another Megaman game, though there's a character design that's clearly Cutman as reimagined by Steve Martin.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #680 on: September 02, 2013, 09:03:50 AM »
Well it might be a rough road, but if they get enough publicity maybe they can- Oh it's funded already.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #681 on: September 02, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
And PS4 exclusive Warframe, if you don't count the fact that it's been on Steam since March, has an exclusivity window of 3 months. So it will likely be showing up on other consoles, like say, the Dreamcast, after that window ends.

And in brighter news, Hardware: Shipbreakers, a spiritual successor to the Homeworld series developed by some of the creators of that series has been rebranded to become... Homeworld: Shipbreakers. Gearbox, the current owners of the Homeworld franchise after the THQ firesale, are pouring a few million bucks into Shipbreakers to make sure  that the game meets the goals that the crew at Blackbird originally were aiming at. So, yay. New Homeworld game for the HW fans.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:55 AM »
Wayforward is kickstarting something in about 4 hours. There's a countdown timer on their website:

http://www.wayforward.com/

A new Shantae? Darkwing Duck Remastered? A new IP starring a scantily clad girl who looks just young enough to make you feel creepy? Only time will tell.

Edit. Whoops. Misread their timer. More like in about 5 days...

I got it in one! It's a new Shantae:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

I love the Shantae games, so I'll probably throw in, but I thought the series was doing fine and wouldn't have thought it needed kickstarter support...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:21 AM »
XB1 news- the XBox One will support up to 8 wireless controllers. I'm not aware of anyone making 8 player games right now, but there you go.

Oh, and the release date is officially November 22nd, but that's less important. That's a Friday, BTW. That's also the worldwide release date too, so it's out one week after the PS4 in the US and one week before the PS4 in Europe.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 10:54:02 AM by Compound »

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #684 on: September 04, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
XB1 news- the XBox One will support up to 8 wireless controllers. I'm not aware of anyone making 8 player games right now, but there you go.

Oh, and the release date is officially November 22nd, but that's less important. That's a Friday, BTW.

You'd have to have one bigass TV to make any sense of an 8-way co-op.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #685 on: September 04, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
I could see it being put to good use for a Bomberman game, or something to that effect, but yeah, I don't think anyone's going to be playing Halo in 8 different windows.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1479
« Reply #686 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:49 PM »
My guess is those other wireless slots will be more useful for some other peripheral, so all four people could have two controllers of some sort.  Like a normal controller and maybe something like a... heart beat monitor... yeah that sounds like a good idea...

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #687 on: September 05, 2013, 12:55:44 AM »
For some reason the PS3 could apparently accept 7 controllers, although I'm not sure how.

Anyway, for those curious, here are UbiSoft's launch titles for the next gen consoles.

PS4: Watch Dogs, AC IV, Just Dance 2014

XB1: Watch Dogs, AC IV, Just Dance 2014, Fighter Within

Watch Dogs, AC IV, and Just Dance 2014 will also be released on the Wii-U although these aren't launch titles as the Wii-U's been on sale for quite a while.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #688 on: September 05, 2013, 10:58:21 AM »
More game news.

Disney Infinite has themed "Toy Box" levels to run around in, and they have officially made levels and levels created by the community which Disney looks over and then approves to release. This week's release include a "Jungle Cruise" themed level, based around the ride and this level:

It's called "Toy Columbia" and to quote the Disney video "It's loosely recreating the setting of another popular video game." Minus the vigors and hundreds of deaths though. But the level designer did add in jet packs, so bonus.

I also appreciate that whomever made this level put Carl's house in though.  Cute.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #689 on: September 07, 2013, 08:11:47 PM »
For some reason the PS3 could apparently accept 7 controllers, although I'm not sure how.

I think that capability was for extra peripherals, not necessarily just regular controllers.  For example, I have the DVD/BluRay remote.  When I push the PS button on it, it defaults to controller 7. 
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing