Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 254265 times)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
Re: General Game News
« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2012, 07:59:45 AM »
PC gaming is dying huh?  Well Blizzard sure knows how to shake down a corpse then.

I don't see it dying. Especially not with inde games becoming easier to make and sell. Much cheaper to sell on a PC.

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »
I don't know the impression I get is that it is dieing. Most stores don't even seem to sell PC games any more and the PC game section in Gamestop has become just one tiny shelf in the back of the store.  From what I can see it seems to be dying,at least when compared to consoles and how big it was in the 90s.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #287 on: May 25, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
I don't know the impression I get is that it is dieing. Most stores don't even seem to sell PC games any more and the PC game section in Gamestop has become just one tiny shelf in the back of the store.  From what I can see it seems to be dying,at least when compared to consoles and how big it was in the 90s.

I've heard people say similar things.  And yes, it's true that you don't see PC games in stores any more.  But that's partly because digital distribution is much more popular now days.  And if not digital, then online stores like Amazon and what have you are much better than the overpriced gamestop anyway.  Gamestops are even carrying Steam coupons now, in an attempt to dip a finger back in that market. 

I can't claim that it's as popular as it used to be, but I think claiming that it's dying out is a large overstatement.  It's smaller, but it's definitely still profitable.  Diablo III just made a killing.  MMOs are very profitable and popular.  Free to Play games are becoming a viable strategy not only regulated to crappy gimmicks (for example, Mechwarrior Online looks awesome and will be Free to Play)   Small inde developers have found their place online.  There is definitely money to be made with PC gaming.   

« Reply #288 on: May 25, 2012, 09:25:44 AM »
Well since I am not online I didn't know that,it's good to hear.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Raefire

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 571
« Reply #289 on: May 29, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »
So Crysis 2- at least, the Maximum Edition, not the normal version - just popped up on Steam. Wonder if the normal edition will reappear.

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #290 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:51 PM »

Invader_quirk

« Reply #291 on: May 30, 2012, 11:14:06 PM »
Sony... you are so stupid.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #292 on: May 30, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
Oooooh.

Id announces Doom 3: BFG Edition which includes Doom, Doom 2, Doom 3 , the Doom3 expansion and 7 additional "lost levels" for Doom 3 plus it adds graphical/gameplay tweaks, support for head mounted displays and a frigging a armor-mounted flashlight.

And CD Projekt just announced their follow-up to Witcher 2... and it's Cyberpunk. Yep, game fans, the pen and paper RPG from R. Talsorian. The one that first placed  the cyberpunk era as starting in, well, 2013.

Yeah, Pondsmith got that one a bit wrong.

Still, Cyberpunk. Cy-ber-punk. Netrunning. Rock and Roll stars. Cybernetically enhanced assassins with wolverine claws. An RPG that Robin Williams has been known to play. Heck, it's like someone went to my RPG shelf, grabbed a copy of Teenagers from Outer Space, said "Eh, no" and then grabbed the copy of Cyberpunk 2020 next to it and said "This'll work!"

Sweeeet.

« Reply #293 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:39 AM »
Sony... you are so stupid.

Yeah we didn't put up with it from the Gizmodo why do they think we would put up with it from them.  Look Sony's image is already hurting from dropping from being well in first place last gen to battling for distant second place this gen,the last thing they need is to give gamers a reason to avoid them.  People have been complaining and finding ways to stop pop ups on websites since the mid 90s,what makes sony think people want them in their games?
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #294 on: May 31, 2012, 03:22:14 PM »
Two bits o' news:

Aliens: Colonial Marines Collector's edition announced:

Oooooh. Powerloader statue.

And Lucasarts is announcing a new game tonight on GTTV. Maybe someone had a stroke and greenlit a sequel to Full throttle or a remake of X-Wing/Tie Fighter. Or a sequel to Bombad Racing. Could go either way really.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #295 on: May 31, 2012, 03:39:54 PM »
Xwing vs Tie Fighter was lame.  Stick to either X wing or the superior TIE Fighter.  X Wing Alliance was pretty fun.  TIE Fighter was awesome as hell the best game hands down, great story.  I loved doing the secret missions and getting the sweet tatoos.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #296 on: May 31, 2012, 07:47:21 PM »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #297 on: May 31, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
Okay, looks like the Lucasarts announcement is currently titled "Star Wars 1313" a game set during the movies,where you play a bounty hunter. And it's tied into the upcoming live action series. Interesting.

Xwing vs Tie Fighter was lame. 

Yes, but that's not what I suggested. Read "/" as "or" not as "vs." A slash saves 3 spaces over writing spaceorspace. We must conserve our valuable bits and data or future generations will have no space for typing on the net due to our overuse of the internet! kthnx!

« Reply #298 on: June 01, 2012, 04:03:04 AM »
Counter-Point to those outraged by the Sony Ad Patent:

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-video-game-complaints-were-just-going-to-have-to-get-over/

with all due respect when he starts saying that there is nothing wrong with always online copy protection because of piracy he proves he really doesn't know what he is talking about.  Piracy of tittles with it sill happens. All that does is punish people who paid for the game and force people like me or people who's ISP has a cap to get the pirated version that doesn't have the copy protection if we want to play the game.

Also what sony is doing is like if the Blu Ray for the Avengers stopped every 30 minutes to show you 3 minutes of adds,do you really think anyone would put up with that.  This is yet another thing that will encourage people to get pirated versions of games instead of pay for them.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2012, 05:02:36 AM »
He didn't say it works. He said with at least half of all games played being pirated, you can't blame them for trying. And I agree with him about the in-game ads. I don't think they'll be doing it with the premium titles that we already paid for. It's going to be tacked onto all the free-to-play games out there. Probably with an option to pay for the game to get rid of the ads. So it's really more like watching The Avengers on TV, and they stop it every 10 minutes for 3 minutes of commercials. :^)