login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 254215 times)

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
Re: General Game News
« Reply #240 on: March 15, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
The Old Republic Offers Free Weekend

Apparently, from midnight March 15 to 2am March 19, TOR will be offering free access to try it out. With a few restrictions, of course.

My reaction: Why?!!!! Couldn't they have done this on a weekend when I won't be away from home? Damn the luck . . .

Well the rumor going around is that a lot of Bioware fans have canceled their account in protest over the Mass Effect 3 ending so they are trying to get new people signed up. 

I suspect that the number of Bioware fans playing SWTOR are dwarfed by the number of people playing who are Star Wars fans and that any such protest would be just mere background noise against the general subscription rate. (Which 5 days ago was around 1.7 million.)

Still Bioware has responded by saying they are listening to fans and looking into what can be done about the ending.  Assuming this is not all smoke and mirrors then it means we are making an impact of some kind some how,and even if it is a PR stunt the fact that they felt the need to pull it fill me with hope because if we were not effecting their sales why would they feel the need to respond?

If you haven't played the other Mass effect 2 games I can see how the ending wouldn't bother you but it bothers me because none of the choices I made in the last two games seem to have any impact on the final and that is just sad.

Also i am kind of upset that just because I can't play multiplayer I can't get enough EMS points to unlock all the endings,I am hoping they will fix that with a patch.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #241 on: March 15, 2012, 10:10:28 AM »
Funny enough, I went to sign up for it anyway, since I might be able to get a little time this weekend around the time I'm away, and I found out that I had a 7-day trial available to me because I was already signed up in the SWTOR community (due to the beta weekend I participated in). Score!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3083
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #242 on: March 16, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »
Not massive news, but this happened with almost no fanfare, and I want to blow the trumpets. If you're one of the few people who dig the original Majesty, and you have a copy on Steam, Paradox just rejiggered it so you can play it at modern resolutions (Looks good on my wide-screen), and it has 2 download-only quests that have been lost to the ages until now. If you already have Majesty Gold, you now also have Majesty Gold HD (Restart Steam if you don't see it.) If you don't have Majesty Gold, it's one of my favorite games ever and it's totally worth the ten-spot.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #243 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
Some fans went and made a new Wing Commander game! And it's free!

http://www.wcsaga.com/

I don't know if it's good or not (Downloading now), but maybe if a bunch of people play it and it gains a lot of attention. someone out there will take notice and realize this is a genre people might want more of.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #244 on: March 23, 2012, 02:18:01 AM »

I don't know if it's good or not (Downloading now), but maybe if a bunch of people play it and it gains a lot of attention. someone out there will take notice and realize this is a genre people might want more of.

I'm also in the process of downloading it via torrent now. I really liked WC III and IV, but I never played any of the earlier games. Very interested to see how this turns out.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #245 on: March 23, 2012, 06:15:35 AM »

I'm also in the process of downloading it via torrent now. I really liked WC III and IV, but I never played any of the earlier games. Very interested to see how this turns out.

Downloaded and installed last night. Once I get out of bed I'll be playing. Excited to have another game to justify my impulse joystick purchase. Never played a wing commander before. Looking forward to it.

Offline NRRork

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 91
    • Yep, I have a deviantART gallery. But it's pretty cheerful drawings-- no angsty poems or black-and-white photos of wooden chairs.
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2012, 10:26:26 AM »
Well, it looks like Sony is presenting their most original idea since Playstation Move:

LittleBigPlanet Karting.

I have two opposing thoughts on this. I love the hell out of LittleBigPlanet, so one side of me is saying "AWWWW! They put him in a little car!"

The trailer makes it look really fun, and I can't watch them little sackfolk gettin' into all their adorable little sacky hijinx without beaming. But my cynical side just screams "GIMMICK! THIS IS A GIMMICK! THIS IS GIMMICKY! THEY'RE GIMMICKALLY MILKING THE CASH COW IN A GIMMICKAL MANNER TO MAKE A GIMMICKY GIMMICK!"

I bought LittleBigPlanet 2 right away, I hadn't been that excited for a new release since GTA: Vice City. But for this one I'll have to wait for the reviews to come in. It could either be really fun with lots of new things brought to the table, or the latest in a long, long line of half-assed Mario Kart clones.
I used to have an image here, but Photobucket got cheap about remote linking. I guess I'll have to think of something witty instead. Which I will. Later. It caught me by surprise, in all honesty. It's hard to be clever on command, I mean, YOU try it. Be funny: NOW! See, tough. So, gimme a bit, 'kay?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #247 on: March 23, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
I always felt like Modnation Racers was kind of a spiritual LittleBigPlanet Kart Racer. That position has been filled. I'll keep my eye on this, though. Media Molecule does have a way of making my inner child squeal. :^)

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1464
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2012, 08:54:01 PM »
So did anyone else fire up the new fan made wing commander?  I've been playing it a bit.  It's fun, but it's also quite hard once I got past the first couple levels.  Starting to get the hang of it though.  The ability to re-route your shields and put more power into guns or engines is cool, brings a different level of strategy rather than just gravity-less dog fighting, which would get boring pretty quickly. 

How does it compare to the actual wing commander games?  I'm new to the series so I don't know.  You can tell it was made by a bunch of nerds fans because they sure put a lot of work into writing story.  It's just a shame that they didn't have the budget to get decent voice actors or someone to compose the cut scenes a little better... or better writers.  The jokes are bearable at best the first time~~ but as I said, it's hard, so I get to hear those jokes many many times~ it's starting to wear on me.  The music is quite passable though.  Ramps up with the situation, very appropriate star-wars-esque fare.

It's free, but if you do decide to try it and it's your first time like me, make sure you use auto pilot to get to the nav points (alt-A) or else you're going to be spending a good 10 minutes between each fight just slowly traveling through empty space. 

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #249 on: April 02, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »
Heh.

Coming soon to Dungeon Defender:

Yeah, that'll get bought very quickly by me. (Coming this Friday, BTW.)

Offline Henry88

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 618
  • Riff Super Monsters
« Reply #250 on: April 02, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
speaking of wing commander i wonder if there are plans to re release 3 and 4 any tine soon?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #251 on: April 02, 2012, 03:52:10 PM »
speaking of wing commander i wonder if there are plans to re release 3 and 4 any tine soon?

WC 3's available right now at Good Old Games. It goes on sale fairly often though, so you can probably buy it for $3 if you wait a while.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
    • Facebook
« Reply #252 on: April 03, 2012, 10:29:35 AM »

WC 3's available right now at Good Old Games. It goes on sale fairly often though, so you can probably buy it for $3 if you wait a while.

They now have WC 4 for $5.99. WC 3 is available for the same price.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #253 on: April 03, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
Well, thanks to a Facebook game I played once, I'm somehow on the mailing list of Ken Williams, the former head honcho of Sierra On-Line (you know, the good years of the company).  Apparently Al Lowe is coming out of retirement to remake Leisure Suit Larry 1 for any and all modern systems, including touch-enabled devices.  He's funding it through Kickstarter here.

Funny thing is, the video clip of him selling the project was written by Josh Mandel, who was a major player at Sierra throughout the 90s AND working on the Space Quest VII project.  Considering how Vivendi didn't care about SQVII until it was 95% done and then demanded either the rights to distribute it or the project to be terminated (and terminated it was), the "wasteland" gag in the middle of the video is definitely understandable.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 05:01:59 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #254 on: April 03, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
Just announced from Harmonix:

Rock Band Blitz

For XBL and PSN- And it uses all the DLC you already have for RB. And its songs can be played in RB3 and the songs in the trailer included Pumped Up Kicks, Jesse’s Girl, Bang Your Head, and Always.

It looks very Amplitude-ish, game-play wise.