Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 253552 times)

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
Re: General Game News
« Reply #180 on: December 07, 2011, 01:13:04 PM »
Hey, jerks, get over to this website and weigh in on the "Are Video Games Art?" debate:

https://www.publicinsightnetwork.org/preview/form/american-public-media/bee5f56c5e7f/are-video-games-art

Unless you want to be a jaded, over-the-hill, obsolete dinosaur like Roger Ebert. Is that what you want? I explode the corpses of dinosaurs to make my car go faster.

Because clearly the way to show that you are a modern, forward-thinking individual is to send your thoughts to a public radio show. Every little bit counts, though, and really I'm surprised that this debate still exists at all.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2011, 09:03:47 PM »
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/121/1214337p1.html

In a completely unexpected move, Warner Brothers has announced they have other studios working on DC Comics video games, inspired by the success of Batman: Arkham City.

The most popular prediction is a Superman game, who could use at least a half-decent video game to his name. If true, I hope they don't try for "dark and gritty" that Arkham City went with, because Superman works so much better when it's hyperreal and ridiculous.

Though I'm really hoping for a game involving some characters with less exposure, say, a Teen Titans game, heh. Something with a fun ensemble cast that isn't so dark. A Justice League game (not related to the Arkhamverse) would be pretty cool too.

Completely off the wall, I'd like to see a DC Universe fighting game not related to Mortal Kombat, with tons of obscure characters to fight with. Awesome!

It'll be Superman though.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »
Eh, maybe. If you've got a two year lead time on this, a Superman game would be out a year after the Cavill flick hits the theater. And while AA arrived a year after Dark Knight, Dark Knight was also a much better film than anyone's expecting the next Superman film to be. Personally, I'd bet on a Green Lantern game, either tying into the sequel film or the Animated show (although how they'd tie a spacegoing hero into an Arkham City environment is beyond me.) Or they might tie it into the ongoing DC nation stuff they're going to start with Cartoon Network. A Young Justice or Doom Patrol game would tie into the "City" type environment much better than Supes or GL would. (And they seem to be working on a Blue Beetle live action film too, and that'd be quite in line with Bat's power level.) And DC Nation keeps showing images of the Legion in their trailer, but that's not going to happen. Ooooh. A Suikoden type RPG though where you could switch Legionnaires in and out of your party... Yeah, that won't happen either.

Then again, they may instead use this as an opportunity to make that Atom or Amethyst of Gemworld game that we've all been asking for. Who knows?

shodan

« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2011, 10:29:30 PM »
the only superman game that comes to mind is superman 64. literally the worst game ever produced.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #184 on: December 10, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
I was under the impression that they didn't want to make a movie tie-in game.

Because movie tie-in games always suck. Especially compared to Arkham City.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2011, 08:20:21 PM »
Just some brain dribble:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2011/12/05/eff-asks-us-copyright-office-exempt-jailbreaking-fair-use-dmca

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is asking the US Government to protect modding consoles under US Copyright Law. Also fair use of copyrighted material needs better protection, apparently. Where else can we get YouTube remixes of video game cutscenes with hilarious fart noises added in at random?

Anyhow, from reading an article on Wikipedia I get the impression that both are already protected:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative_work

So what the heck's the problem?

On another note...

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/05/ea-origin-bans-update-edition/

EA and others seem to have the mindset that we only "borrow" or "pay for access" to games we legitimately buy, and they can ban us at any time from accessing the games installed on our hard drives. That's a bit like me "lending" my car to a friend for sixty bucks, then sitting in the passenger seat the entire time so I can, at random, yank the steering wheel out of his hands and say "tough luck".

Point being, if they think that they have the right to take away the games they "provided" us at any time, then I'm of the opinion that it's only fair if we, as consumers, have the right to take away the money we "provided" them at any time. Makes as much sense as their bullcrap.

shodan

« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »
thats why i say screw EA they've done a lot of stuff recently like perma-banning people from playing their games (multi and single player) for forum violations (cursing or even having their account name name appear in a post with cursing). i now go out of my way to pirate their games. i dont even play them i just download them illegally to say f*ck you. the last time i tried to play a game of theirs was battlefield 3 which i rented. i get to playing only for a screen to come up saying that i need too pay 10$ for the privilege of playing online. once again, f*ck EA. they've come a long way from Futurecop LAPD which is one of my favorite games, and they've gone in the direction of greed, completely flipping off the players that helped them build their company.

on the other note, that's why i like PC games modding is not only usually allowed, but actually encouraged. look at star trek legacy, or the elder scrolls games.

EDIT: and i look back and realize how much of a rant that first part is, but i've been playing videogames ever since i was old enough to grip the controller and its a large part of my life, so stuff like this pisses me off and i get pretty opinionated.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 08:51:22 PM by Shodan一心流 »

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2011, 11:28:44 PM »
(shrug) Software makers have been claiming we lease software from them for years.  I'm pretty sure AutoCAD claimed that too the last time I looked at their license.

But no, "Therefore we have the right to steal from them" still isn't a moral justification for doing so. If you don't like the way they do business, then don't do business with them. They're games, not insulin. You can live without them.

shodan

« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
in the middle of writing a lengthy argument for this i realized it was better not to. im just going to say i disagree on personal principals.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #189 on: December 13, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
(shrug) Software makers have been claiming we lease software from them for years.  I'm pretty sure AutoCAD claimed that too the last time I looked at their license.

But no, "Therefore we have the right to steal from them" still isn't a moral justification for doing so. If you don't like the way they do business, then don't do business with them. They're games, not insulin. You can live without them.

I'll admit what I said was said in haste and the heat of passion, heh. I'll take back what I said if it was interpreted as support for theft and piracy. Normally, I'm a bull-with-brass-balls capitalist, and will defend a corporation's right to protect its product to the limit of reason and beyond.

But I'm also a consumer, and what gets me hot under the collar is when a corporation treats its customers like a resource to be controlled. As important as the rights of corporations are, consumer rights are just as, if not more, important. Only acknowledging the rights of consumers if not doing so causes a PR nightmare is not only bad business, it's socially repugnant in a capitalist society.

Corporations should be competing for the business of the consumer, not milking them for every dollar by rigidly regulating the use of their product. It stifles creativity and destroys the value in their purchase. Value is the point of my argument, not so much piracy.

The wealth of an individual is determined by what they own, and the accumulation of wealth is the right of every member of a capitalist society. I can sell my house as it is, or I can fix it up, build a pool, etc, to increase its value and then sell it for a profit. I can do this with everything that I own, but buying a PS3 I make a pact that it is essentially worthless to me despite how much money I put into it, in DLC and downloaded games and secondhand software and so forth. I can't upgrade it, I can't make it more attractive when I want to sell it. This isn't a business relationship the way I see it.

And I agree that not doing business with them is the moral choice. It makes me feel better not to buy used games (though I have every right to) and to not buy games from publishers who pull this kind of crap. But it accomplishes nothing. They have a product that I want, but their business practices make me not want to buy it. If I'm not their customer, they have no obligation to me. It only makes sense to bring the problem to their attention and give them a reason to change their minds. I live in the land of capitalism; its principles apply to every facet of my life, from the entertainment I enjoy to the essential services I need to survive, and I am entitled to all of it if I can afford it. That system is what has allowed these corporations their profits, and despite their hypocrisy, continuing to participate is the quickest way to bring about a change. Voting with your wallet doesn't mean not using it, it means using it to send a message.

Piracy is not my problem. What it is, is competition for the publishers. Piracy offers consumers a product they feel has superior value, and publishers try to prevent this competition by punishing the consumer for participating in it. It is illegal, should remain illegal, and publishers have every right to protect their product. But there is a middle ground between "doing nothing" and "trampling on consumer rights" that they choose not to take.

Point being, if they think that they have the right to take away the games they "provided" us at any time, then I'm of the opinion that it's only fair if we, as consumers, have the right to take away the money we "provided" them at any time. Makes as much sense as their bullcrap.

This still stands, but not as a justification for piracy. Justification for modifying video game consoles, video games, removing DRM and backing up your purchases? Yes, definitely. I have no problem with that.

If I'm going to be buying a "license" to operate a video game console and its software, and my investment can be rendered completely worthless to me on a whim, then I feel I am entitled to some compensation for the loss. A refund at least. I realize that I have no right to that after agreeing to the EULA or TOU or TOS or the rest of their BS. That needs to change.

I feel like a self-entitled prick after all that, heh.  ;D I hope no one takes this too harshly. I really don't mean any offense.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #190 on: December 16, 2011, 06:50:04 PM »
Heh, heh.

The Lego game folks just got the rights to do Lego: Hobbit and Lego: Lord of the Rings games.

shodan

« Reply #191 on: December 16, 2011, 06:54:18 PM »
Heh, heh.

The Lego game folks just got the rights to do Lego: Hobbit and Lego: Lord of the Rings games.
the reforging of the sword of narsil: *click*

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #192 on: December 16, 2011, 08:22:33 PM »
Heh, heh.

I haven't really been into Lego games since the first two Star Wars ones. These might get me back into it.

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #193 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:27 PM »
Hallelujah?

http://www.destructoid.com/ea-nintendo-sony-reduce-sopa-support-by-50--218742.phtml

It would appear that the three largest gaming companies supporting SOPA have quietly retracted their backing. Sony Electronics, Electronic Arts and Nintendo were all listed as supporters of the bill when it first came into being, but their names have since disappeared from the updated document of allies.

Sony/ATV Music Publishing, Sony Music Entertainment and Sony Music Nashville are still listed, but anything related to the company's electronics endeavors have disappeared.

However, all three companies are members of the Entertainment Software Association, a group that still remains aligned to SOPA. Although their individual express support of the bill has been removed, these companies still back it by virtue of their association with the ESA. Until the ESA backs off, these companies are still in. They ostensibly went from backing it twice to backing it once.

While it's great to see that companies are realizing SOPA support looks bad for them, simply hiding that support isn't quite as good as actively removing it. These three companies, along with every single publisher on this list, are still culpable for SOPA, and if they respect their audiences, they'd do well to stop.

Is it too much for me to ask for this bill to die in a fire?

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #194 on: January 03, 2012, 02:44:18 PM »
Well, this is somewhat interesting:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115003-TorrentFreak-Reveals-Top-Pirated-Games-of-2011

Most Pirated PC Games (by download)
1. Crysis 2 (3,920,000)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000)
3. Battlefield 3 (3,510,000)
4. FIFA 12 (3,390,000)
5. Portal 2 (3,240,000)

Most Pirated Wii Games (by download)
1. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000)
2. Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000)
3. Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000)
4. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000)
5. FIFA 12 (860,000)

Most Pirated Xbox 360 Games (by download)
1. Gears of War 3 (890,000)
2. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000)
3. Battlefield 3 (760,000)
4. Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000)
5. Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000)

The PS3 was most excluded because of relatively low numbers or unreliable data. The PC was hardest hit, probably because I could open up a new tab in Firefox and in 36 hours have every single game made between 1980-2000 on my hard drive at absolutely no cost to me. I've heard that pirates often download games just to see if they will run on their PC, which would explain Crysis 2's (a notorious resource hog) huge numbers. MW3 is freaking amazing, because it came out what, 2 months ago? That's about $200 million in lost revenue in 60 days. Yeesh. But MW3 is the fastest-selling game in history and the biggest-selling ANYTHING in recorded time, so while Activision certainly deserves the sales I don't think they'll be crying about it. Battlefield 3, on the other hand, requires EA's Origin service to run online, which would make pirated copies a bit more risky especially since the online mode is the only reason people play it (though pirates are most likely running private servers).

The presence of Portal 2 saddens me. It should not be on this list. I can understand feeling callous towards big companies like EA and Activision, but Valve are pioneers in the video game industry and have great rapport with their fans and customers. They have made their games available worldwide, in regions that don't typically have these services, and don't try to screw over their customers to make an extra buck. I've heard pirates make excuses that they only download games as demos, or because they have greater freedom with a pirated copy, and they seem like legitimate problems within the gaming industry. But Valve tries their best to serve the industry and improve it, and Portal 2 is one of their efforts to do just that. It seems to me the only reason you would pirate Portal 2 is because you're a total bag of dicks.

On to the Wii! You may be surprised to hear, but it is incredible how easy it is to play pirated games on the Wii. I'm not at all surprised their numbers are higher than the 360 and PS3; they have the largest number of consoles on the market and have little to no active security to combat piracy. I would count Xenoblade Chronicles's high numbers towards the fact that it was not a worldwide release despite being a desired and acclaimed product. It's seeing a limited release in America in the coming months due to popular demand, and I'm afraid that its high rate of piracy will hurt those sales and prove to NOA that localizing it was a terrible idea. But the fact that Wii games are easy to pirate, readily available and has little chance of getting caught, and these factors do not hurt its rampant success, says to me that maybe piracy isn't as big of a problem as it is presented.

The top 4 X360 games are all online titles, which suggests to me that pirates are more than willing to risk a XBL ban for $60. Or people really just wanted to play through the 3-hour campaigns in BF3, MW3 and GoW3 and didn't feel like paying $20 an hour to do so.

What these lists represent is billions of dollars in lost (read:potential) revenue throughout the industry, which is clearly a problem. It makes me wonder if not fixing the problems circumvented with pirate games is worth losing billions of dollars a year, or if providing a product that is more appealing to "potential" customers would make them lose less in the long run. Then I look at Portal 2's numbers and realize it probably wouldn't make a difference.