Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 268343 times)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
Re: General Game News
« Reply #105 on: June 01, 2011, 10:47:10 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5807694/

PSN and Playstation Store are back.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 204
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Look I like games but I will be the first to admit they have not reached anywhere near the level of story telling that films have.  I mean even the best video games feature characters that are barely 2d and plots that if they were films would be Micheal Bay movies.

There has yet to be a video game Citizen Kane or even The King's Speech.  Once games have produced something with that level of character depth and amount to say then you can complain about people saying they are not as good as films until then I do not know what the big deal is. 

He doesn't think they are as good as films he has that right.  It doesn't make him a bad person and I sure don't think he should be personally attacked.

I know this is a big digression from General Game News, but just to quickly state some things:
1. Citizen Kane was innovative not because it told a new tale, or even one that some would find compelling on its face.  It's that Welles used the medium to tell his story very well.  Camera angles, special effects shots, circular narrative...these things were not new innovations, he just managed to combine them to incredible effect (while of course contributing his own bag of tricks as well).  You'd be hard pressed not to find games that also use the medium to great effect, regardless of genre.  Hell, all Infocom used for years was words, and look at the near stuff they could do with just an excellent English language parser (like flat out asking the game questions, and it would answer them).  Like his work or not, Hideo Kojima has been breaking the fourth wall for years.  The Psycho Mantis fight in MGS alone is every which kind of wacky in using the game system itself against you.

2. There are so many games, for so many different systems, that coming up with a definitive Citizen Kane is ridiculously hard.  Do you reward The Secret of Monkey Island for being one of the funniest things ever made, let alone funniest game?  Fallout (or Elder Scrolls) or Myst for the lush worlds they created?  Mortal Kombat (and GTA, Custer's Revenge) for the sort of shock controversy than even artists that smear "not peanut butter" on things can't seem to evoke these days?  And remember, I mentioned Infocom...story and plot have been in games as long as computers have been around, so they've had plenty of time to stew.

3. As for emotional reactions...Floyd the Robot.  If you haven't played Planetfall, well...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For the younger of you out there, think Aeris, FFVII.  That should do the trick.  For anyone younger than that...what are you doing playing videogames?  Go and play some stickball in the yard, ya whippersnapper.
And don't tell me Amnesia: The Dark Descent can't be just as pantswetting as seeing Halloween in a theater for the first time.  Or seeing a Star Destroyer explode is any less thrilling when it's YOU dragging the thing into a planet all by yourself.  Or that music from games isn't inspiring all by itself (I'm looking at you, Square, and Psygnosis...damn those Lemmings tunes were catchy).

I'm not attacking Ebert personally.  I don't think the man is stupid, or his opinions don't matter.  But it doesn't mean I don't think he's wrong.  And to say games are equivalent to Michael Bay films...chalk up another text adventure I talk about in the "WHOOOO!" thread called Photopia.  It's not a long game, or really much in the way of puzzle solving.  But it uses the genre very well (in fact, it is apparently responsible in moving the direction of Interactive Fiction in a more literary direction than it used to be), and if you're looking for depth, it's there.  It may not be Finnegan's Wake, but then, Citizen Kane ain't no Finnegan's Wake, either, and I think a lot of people appreciate that. ;D  And that's all I'll say on the issue.

Oh, to get back on target: I was going to say the store was back, but I was beaten to it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #107 on: June 01, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
PS store back, but not the "Welcome Back" deal.  That's still coming soon.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3211
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
Gog.com signs up EA Games, and starts by putting up Wing Commander: Privateer, Dungeon Keeper and Ultima Underworld 1 & 2. It's not the LucasArts announcement we were all hoping for, but I've been wanting to dig back into a Wing Commander game for years now.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:04 PM »
Gog.com signs up EA Games, and starts by putting up Wing Commander: Privateer, Dungeon Keeper and Ultima Underworld 1 & 2. It's not the LucasArts announcement we were all hoping for, but I've been wanting to dig back into a Wing Commander game for years now.

Was just about to announce this too. Wow! This is a huge note. (And hopefully, I'll soon be able to play the Crusader titles again soon.)

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #110 on: June 03, 2011, 12:36:17 AM »
Shit...Aliens: Colonial Marines won't turn back the clock on the events of Alien 3....FUCK.

http://kotaku.com/5808041/clearing-up++sort-of++where-colonial-marines-fits-in-aliens-canon

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2011, 01:51:44 PM »
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110643-Japanese-Newspaper-Confirms-Wii-2-Controller-Details

Japanese Newspaper "Confirms" Wii 2 Controller Details

Nintendo's next console will feature controllers that function as handheld gaming systems and sport 6-inch touchscreens, if a report in Japan's Nikkei newspaper is to be believed.

Before we get into the details, I should warn you all to take this with a grain of salt. Though similar Nikkei reports have been uncannily accurate in the past -- as Joystiq notes, the paper successfully predicted the Nintendo DSi, DSi XL and 3DS -- there are no official guarantees that the paper's claims about the Wii's successor (dubbed "Project Cafe") are accurate.

That said, the recent Nikkei report is very interesting. In it the paper claims that Project Cafe's controllers will feature a 6-inch tablet-style touchscreen, camera and on-board power supply. Each can be uncoupled (whether this denotes a physical connection or not is unclear) from the main console and used as a separate handheld system.

Adding credence to Nikkei's claims are the months of rumor and speculation in this very vein. If nothing else, it seems suspicious that all the rumors would agree on the idea of touchscreen controllers.

Finally, the paper claims the new console will see release in the latter half of 2012.

It would be irresponsible of me to wildly speculate on what this sort of technological paradigm shift might mean for Nintendo as a company, let alone its next console, so instead I'll let you guys do it. Anyone want to be the first to prophesize doom for the entire industry?

Source: Nikkei, via Andriasang

Gulp. Controllers that can be used as a handheld? That's damn interesting. The rest is the same old rumors we've been hearing.

Damnit, E3 can't come soon enough (Nintendo's press conference is Tuesday at 9am PT).
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Rainbow Dash

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1185
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2011, 02:07:20 PM »
This has been making the rounds of the internet.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2011, 04:11:29 PM »
Wait. Eternal Darkness 2? Want! Want!

Offline Scribblesense

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
  • I use every color in the box. At once.
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:25 PM »
Also, it makes waffles, will kill your rivals in their sleep, and cures cancer with handjobs.
"Hey, you kids! Those boxes are for shipping! Not for creating a world of pure imagination!"

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »
Also, it makes waffles, will kill your rivals in their sleep, and cures cancer with handjobs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WOArkrjVoiw?version=3&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WOArkrjVoiw?version=3&amp;</a>

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Oh hey. Actual news.

EA just announced their own digital delivery service called "Origin."
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This morning seems to mean "someday other than today" right now.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:20 PM »
Some Valve news - no, it's not what you think: http://steelseries.com/blog/press/steelseries-and-valve-corporation-announce-multi-title-agreement-for-co-branded-gaming-surfaces

SteelSeries, the leading global manufacturer of gaming peripherals, today announced a new partnership with Valve Corporation, entertainment software and technology company and creator of the popular Steam platform and award-winning properties such as Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Portal and Left 4 Dead. Through a multi-title agreement, SteelSeries will work closely with Valve to design co-branded gaming surfaces, specific for Valveā€™s most recognized game titles.

For more information in the upcoming weeks regarding this partnership, and when the co-branded gaming surfaces will be launched, please visit SteelSeries online at http://SteelSeries.com and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/steelseries. You can also find more information about Valve at http://www.valvesoftware.com.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:17 PM »
Okay, EA news.

A) They're setting up retail stores in a few areas now, mostly for sports related games.

b) Crysis 2 is now an Origin store exclusive. If you bought it on Steam or elsewhere, you might want to make a backup.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:16 PM »
Steam news:

1) Beat Hazard Ultra, which was supposed to be released at the end of the month, goes live tomorrow instead.

2) I'm getting the strangest issue with Magic :The Gathering 2012. At a certain point in the game, my monitor dies. I have no idea why, but it's repeatedly happening at the same boss in the game.