login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 254150 times)

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
Re: General Game News
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »
Strong, strong rumors that GoG will have Master of Magic available soon. (And by strong rumor, I mean look here:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic)  Huzzah! It looks like the Microprose back catalog is rapidly returning.

Damn!  Thought you were talking about the old, old, OLD Master of Magic that came out on the Commodore 64.  I was thinking that one was a little TOO old, even for GoG...good game, if it only takes about 15 minutes to beat it if you know what you're doing.  Actually, I think that describes 95% of all the C-64 titles, now that I think about it.

Never heard of this one, though.  Looks like Civ 1 mixed with Castles.

Speaking games that should be on GoG, they need to get the old SSI D&D games on there.  Ravenloft: Stone Prophet is one of the best 1st-Person RPGs I've ever played, and to my knowledge it NEVER did well in terms of sales.  I've still got a copy and I'm still trying to beat it, but it's far and away the best one of the 3 they made (Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession and Menzoberranzan).  Great puzzles, good story, and the ancient Egyptian setting is a nice touch.

Of what IS on there to recommend, Lords of Magic, if you like strategy games.  It's the patched-up, much better Special Edition they sell on there, and it is fantastic (I'm not good strategy games, but this one is great fun, and even has multiplayer (if you have 3 friends and about 12 hours to burn, that is).

Oh, and I was right about ObsCure...it's still on their servers, but they've run into a rights issue they need to clear up.  Thankfully, it's of the "We'll get this sorted out, people who bought it can still download it" and not the "Sorry, Volume 10 of MST3K no longer can contain that Godzilla movie we know the kids all love" sort of thing.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:25 PM »
Damn!  Thought you were talking about the old, old, OLD Master of Magic that came out on the Commodore 64.  I was thinking that one was a little TOO old, even for GoG...good game, if it only takes about 15 minutes to beat it if you know what you're doing.  Actually, I think that describes 95% of all the C-64 titles, now that I think about it.

Well, more like two hours and fifteen minutes.  Fifteen minutes playing the game, two hours waiting for the damn thing to load the next screen.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline MWolf

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
  • The Super Best Friends! Freedom of Speech
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 10:49:03 PM »
Strong, strong rumors that GoG will have Master of Magic available soon. (And by strong rumor, I mean look here:
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/master_of_magic)  Huzzah! It looks like the Microprose back catalog is rapidly returning.

I effing love that game..... or used to.... They should make it in 3d =P
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 11:58:47 PM by MWolf »
For All of Humanity

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »

(twitch)

Okay, in 1993-4, Microprose managed to release a quartet of games, one after another, that all became widely regarded as classics - Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Colonization and X-Com. Master of Magic was a fantasy version of Civ - but it was also a game that introduced or at least perfected many, many concepts that later appeared in other strategy games. Leader units that could level up, gain gear and appear on the map to fight. Units moving on a strategic map and then fighting on a tactical map. (Granted, it earlier appeared in King's Bounty and Moo, but it became a staple in other strategy games - Age of Wonders and the entire Total War series.) The role playing aspect of your wizard, gaining skills and spells as the game progresses has shown up in dozens of games since then. The multi-map aspect of the game, where your units could cross from one world to another has also shown up in other games, including the not-really approved by MPS Civ II Test of Time. Each color of magic had widely different spells. Each city had a race and produced much different units. Units could be enchanted so that a paladin unit might become a Flying, Fire Breathing, Wraith form  Paladin...

Basically, almost every fantasy strategy game from the last 20 years and many non-fantasy ones as well, owes many of its basic concepts to MoM- that's why we're excited. Despite the 16 year old graphics and the sometimes less than impressive AI, MoM was one of those games that created the "Just one more turn" syndrome.  It had game play that grabbed you and didn't let go.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2010, 06:38:00 PM »
Well that sold me! I think I will discover Master of Magic this weekend. :^)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2010, 07:17:28 PM »
Well that sold me! I think I will discover Master of Magic this weekend. :^)

Well, you have to wait for them to release it first. It's still "Coming soon."

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2010, 10:00:34 PM »
I'm hoping it's gonna be released before then. If it's not, maybe I'll check out Masters of Orion...

Offline MWolf

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 3
  • The Super Best Friends! Freedom of Speech
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:19 PM »

(twitch)
Basically, almost every fantasy strategy game from the last 20 years and many non-fantasy ones as well, owes many of its basic concepts to MoM- that's why we're excited. Despite the 16 year old graphics and the sometimes less than impressive AI, MoM was one of those games that created the "Just one more turn" syndrome.  It had game play that grabbed you and didn't let go.

very very very True
For All of Humanity

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2010, 08:22:58 AM »
And just to update - Masters of Magic is now available. Woot.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »
As the drama surrounding Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward continues to unfold, Activision has dropped a new bombshell: the company has signed a 10-year publishing agreement with Bungie to bring its "next big action game universe to market."

Activision will have the rights to publish the new intellectual property "on multiple platforms and devices." Does this extend outside Xbox 360? The press release doesn't say, but it seems likely, and in a video released to the press, Activision COO Thompas Tippl said the partnership was about bringing Bungie's next universe to "the platform of your choice."

So, Bungie may be coming to the Wii or PS3.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:49:10 PM by Compound »

Doctor Who?

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2010, 11:47:14 AM »
Well Microsoft just lost a lot of sales :D  I few years ago this would have killed the Xbox but now I think they have enough other hits that this will only mean a hit in sales.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
News!

Allegedly a fall release. They announced this in February. How did I miss this?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 05:36:34 PM »
More news, this time MMORPG-based!

(APB was a Cops vs. Robbers FPS MMORPG.)

Ow. A two month life span for a MMORPG is not good. (And I am very thankful that I resisted the very strong urge to buy it when it was released.) Note though- APB is still being sold in stores, so it's probably for the best if you don't buy a copy, unless you like really expensive DVD cases.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
More news!

Apparently, Sony's far enough along with their "Not even announced yet" PSP2 that they've been giving development kits to developers. They forgot to tell them to keep it a secret though. Whoops.

And also in the category of "Oh. Were we not supposed to tell folks?" A Japanese electronics chain let people know that Disgaea 4 in en route. It's due Feb 24 in Japan, here later on.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 09:44:33 AM »
Oh, and the Playstation Move is out. Er, yay?