login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 297096 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1005
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: General Game News
« Reply #2850 on: July 22, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Unless there's some compelling reviews of Shin Megami Tensei, probably nothing for me.

Don't know about V, since that's new. Nocturne was the PS2 title that was very hard and very rare and came out prior to persona 3. It had Dante from DMC wandering around in it as well for reasons.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2851 on: July 23, 2020, 09:57:17 AM »
XBox Summer Game Fest

I don't recall if this is the E3 replacement, the SDCC replacement or just something for July.

*First up some gameplay for Halo Infinite. It looks very Halo-ish. "Holiday"
*State of Decay 3. Hey the animals are zombies now too.
*Forza. Eight, I think? No. Apparently "Forze Motorsport" this time
*Rare. Lots of cell shading and fuzzy things. The trailer looks like you're playing druids, wandering around helping the forest and helping animals. Everwild.
*Mom's got a gun! Tell me Why. Ch1 Aug 27 Looks "life is Strange"-ish
*Ori and the Wil of the Wisp remaster in 4k and 120p. It does look very pretty.
*the OuterWilds. Which has been out for a while. Expansion on Sep 9
*Grounded, the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids and put them in an RPG" game. Out Jul 28

And Obsidian officially announced their next RPG.  Avowed. 1st person RPG. Future me- Oh, it's set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity.

*From Interior/ Night, a new studio.  "A story spanning 30 years in the American Southwest" always a good sign when a studio in the UK and a presenter with a French accent tells you that. Ass Dusk Falls.
*Ninja Theory- Hellblade 2 - It's set in Iceland. So, hey. Someone at Ninja Theory got to write off their vacation to Iceland
*Double Fine. And Jack Black appears. To talk Psychonauts. Oh. He's a character in it. Well, that makes a bit more sense. Decent sounding song from Black at least

*Destiny 2 comes to the new Xbox. Expansion Nov 10. That'd be for all platforms, I think
And now, some exclusives.
*A "console launch exclusive" So everyone else will get this later. Oh, Stalker 2. didn't know that one was getting a sequel
*More people walking around in places without lights. And I hear Liam O'Brien. And Inquisitor. And hives. Warhammer Darktide. This looks Left 4 Dead-ish, with Imp Guard fighting Tyrannid cultists. that makes sense to 40k fans (Future me- Oh. Dark Tide. Like Vermin Tide. Derp. Yeah, Definitely L4Dish.)

*And something which eventually shows up as Tetris. Tetris Effect Connected. This holiday. Yeah, don't know what the gimmick is this time.
*Another console Launch exclusive. The Gunk. Er, yeah? You run around vacuuming up goo and exploring alien worlds
*The Medium- 3rd person horror where you seem to be switching between worlds, light and dark.
*Console Launch Exclusive. And Sega- Phantasy Star Online. Yay! New Genesis PSO 2- 2021
*Remedy. Crossfire X. the multiplayer shooter thing. It's apparently got a single player campaign too.

And when the new consoles launch, a lot of the old games get free upgrades.

Last one-Fable. Remake? Sequel? Dunno.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 10:29:30 AM by Compound »

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 5015
« Reply #2852 on: July 23, 2020, 10:03:50 AM »
XBox Summer Game Fest

I don't recall if this is the E3 replacement, the SDCC replacement or just something for July.

*First up some gameplay for Halo Infinite. It looks very Halo-ish. "Holiday"
*State of Decay 3. Hey the animals are zombies now too.
*Forza. Eight, I think? No. Apparently "Forze Motorsport" this time
*Rare. Lots of cell shading and fuzzy things. The trailer looks like you're playing druids, wandering around helping the forest and helping animals. Everwild.
*Mom's got a gun! Tell me Why. Ch1 Aug 27 Looks "life is Strange"-ish
*Ori and the Wil of the Wisp remaster in 4k and 120p. It does look very pretty.
*the OuterWilds. Which has been out for a while. Expansion on Sep 9
*Grounded, the "Honey I Shrunk the Kids and put them in an RPG" game. Out Jul 28

And Obsidian officially announced their next RPG.  Avowed. 1st person RPG.

*From Interior/ Night, a new studio.  "A story spanning 30 years in the American Southwest" always a good sign when a studio in the UK and a presenter with a French accent tells you that. Ass Dusk Falls.
*Ninja Theory- Hellblade 2 - It's set in Iceland. So, hey. Someone at Ninja Theory got to write off their vacation to Iceland
*Double Fine. And Jack Black appears. To talk Psychonauts. Oh. He's a character in it. Well, that makes a bit more sense. Decent sounding song from Black at least

*Destiny 2 comes to the new Xbox. Expansion Nov 10. That'd be for all platforms, I think
And now, some exclusives.
*A "console launch exclusive" So everyone else will get this later. Oh, Stalker 2. didn't know that one was getting a sequel
*More people walking around in places without lights. And I hear Liam O'Brien. And Inquisitor. And hives. Warhammer Darktide. This looks Left 4 Dead-ish, with Imp Guard fighting Tyrannid cultists. that makes sense to 40k fans
*And something which eventually shows up as Tetris. Tetris Effect Connected. This holiday. Yeah, don't know what the gimmick is this time.
*Another console Launch exclusive. The Gunk. Er, yeah? You run around vacuuming up goo and exploring alien worlds
*The Medium- 3rd person horror where you seem to be switching between worlds, light and dark.
*Console Launch Exclusive. And Sega- Phantasy Star Online. Yay! New Genesis PSO 2- 2021
*Remedy. Crossfire X. the multiplayer shooter thing. It's apparently got a single player campaign too.

And when the new consoles launch, a lot of the old games get free upgrades.

Last one-Fable. Remake? Sequel? Dunno.

Well it's not part of the SDCC schedule.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 960
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2853 on: July 23, 2020, 02:55:13 PM »
Unless there's some compelling reviews of Shin Megami Tensei, probably nothing for me.

Don't know about V, since that's new. Nocturne was the PS2 title that was very hard and very rare and came out prior to persona 3. It had Dante from DMC wandering around in it as well for reasons.

I didn't realize SMT:Nocturne was particularly rare. I have a copy and played most of it. Never quite finished it. It's very good, very strange and VERY hard. If you want a hardcore oldschool JRPG, it's a good choice. Just so long as you don't want something story-centric, because that is one thing it isn't.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2854 on: July 24, 2020, 12:24:03 AM »

I didn't realize SMT:Nocturne was particularly rare.

Nocturne and DDS were very rare for a while but there have been a couple of reprints made of the rarer PS2 titles so the prices have gone to more reasonable levels for PS2 games. The earlier versions will still get to "How much!?!" levels though

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2855 on: July 24, 2020, 11:57:57 AM »
Wait, what?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bPhiPg3CS7g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bPhiPg3CS7g</a>

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2856 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
So Suikoden's getting a spiritual successor from some of the same team as the original games...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wezrZ1thnPI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wezrZ1thnPI</a>

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2448
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #2857 on: July 24, 2020, 01:44:15 PM »
Wait, what?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/bPhiPg3CS7g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/bPhiPg3CS7g</a>

So...we get Web Soup marathons again?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 960
  • My name is Raphaël Ambrosius Costeau
« Reply #2858 on: July 24, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
So Suikoden's getting a spiritual successor from some of the same team as the original games...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/wezrZ1thnPI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/wezrZ1thnPI</a>

I played Suikonden 2 and 5 and they were both excellent, so this is good news. The Kickstarter is supposed to start on July 27. They're asking for $500K. I may support it.

Now that I think about it, it's been ages since I played a JRPG. I think Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song was the last one.

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2859 on: July 27, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
Looks like it's been successfully funded.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RutrB3Jkf2g" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RutrB3Jkf2g</a>

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2860 on: July 31, 2020, 07:27:40 AM »
Almost forgot this was still happening...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/32PO-pllPBo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/32PO-pllPBo</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3779
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2861 on: July 31, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
I'm hyped.

I'm expecting the Dark Queen's redesign to lead to some very exhausting conversations, but it looks like that captures the crazy cartoon-battle spirit of the original.

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 505
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #2862 on: July 31, 2020, 02:12:45 PM »
I love Battletoads, but why does every reincarnation of a show have to be all boxy with exaggerated sharp edges in ugly muted colors? The style is unpleasant, and it's becoming as ubiquitous as Comic Sans. My guess is that this style is gonna really date the material as late '10s/early '20s.

I don't mind stylized versions. But I also prefer originality. It's the same pizzazz over and over, like there's a bunch of execs who want one style and are only happy when it looks like everything else. There are some unique looking shows like Adventure Time, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman, etc. But when it comes to reincarnations? Nope! Muted boxy look it is!

I know I'm treading "old man yells at cloud" territory, but still, I mean.... have other people noticed this?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 02:17:15 PM by stansimpson »

Online The Lurker

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #2863 on: July 31, 2020, 02:41:36 PM »
TMNT's animation looks really good in action, though.  I kind of dig the backgrounds in Ducktales.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 198
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2864 on: August 01, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »
I love Battletoads, but why does every reincarnation of a show have to be all boxy with exaggerated sharp edges in ugly muted colors? The style is unpleasant, and it's becoming as ubiquitous as Comic Sans. My guess is that this style is gonna really date the material as late '10s/early '20s.

I don't mind stylized versions. But I also prefer originality. It's the same pizzazz over and over, like there's a bunch of execs who want one style and are only happy when it looks like everything else. There are some unique looking shows like Adventure Time, Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman, etc. But when it comes to reincarnations? Nope! Muted boxy look it is!

I know I'm treading "old man yells at cloud" territory, but still, I mean.... have other people noticed this?

If you're an old man yelling at a cloud, I'll join you in yelling at the same cloud.