login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 267902 times)

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
Re: General Game News
« Reply #2355 on: December 29, 2018, 01:13:56 PM »
Looks like Brad Wardell has been owned in court.  Star Control may be in good hands now.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #2356 on: January 07, 2019, 11:10:30 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JXgAMbyZZS8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JXgAMbyZZS8</a>

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 172
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2357 on: January 07, 2019, 02:26:03 PM »

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2358 on: January 07, 2019, 06:03:35 PM »
Feel free to call me dumb, but I don't know what that means. Can someone tell me what that means please?

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #2359 on: January 07, 2019, 07:15:57 PM »
Feel free to call me dumb, but I don't know what that means. Can someone tell me what that means please?

It means that when you buy a Nintendo Switch game through the Humble Store, you get a code which you can redeem through the Nintendo E-Shop. Also, this opens up Nintendo Switch titles to Humble Bundles in the future such as for charity.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 520
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #2360 on: January 08, 2019, 04:25:41 PM »
https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/7/18172470/overwatch-soldier-76-gay-bisexual

I fucking LOVE this. Soldier: 76 was the perfect choice for a character to make gay, for the simple reason that he's not the stereotypical young, skinny, fabulous guy. He's an old man with a Clint Eastwood demeanor, and so it completely subverts expectations. This is also a reason I hope they never make Zarya out to be LGBT+, because people keep expecting her to be queer.

Of course, there's been a huge backlash from cishet bros complaining that 2/29 playable characters being gay is just because Overwatch is dying and Blizz wants to increase controversy, or that they're just making everyone gay as a fad, or raging that they took a character who's sexuality they assumed was hetero and suddenly made him gay. Funnily enough, they should have seen this coming, since there was the same picture of Jack and Vincent in the holiday comic two years back. It's the same one where Tracer was confirmed lesbian, and everyone was spending time with their families. Jack was looking forlornly at the picture. The implication was there all along.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #2361 on: January 08, 2019, 05:43:10 PM »
https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/7/18172470/overwatch-soldier-76-gay-bisexual

I fucking LOVE this. Soldier: 76 was the perfect choice for a character to make gay, for the simple reason that he's not the stereotypical young, skinny, fabulous guy. He's an old man with a Clint Eastwood demeanor, and so it completely subverts expectations. This is also a reason I hope they never make Zarya out to be LGBT+, because people keep expecting her to be queer.

Of course, there's been a huge backlash from cishet bros complaining that 2/29 playable characters being gay is just because Overwatch is dying and Blizz wants to increase controversy, or that they're just making everyone gay as a fad, or raging that they took a character who's sexuality they assumed was hetero and suddenly made him gay. Funnily enough, they should have seen this coming, since there was the same picture of Jack and Vincent in the holiday comic two years back. It's the same one where Tracer was confirmed lesbian, and everyone was spending time with their families. Jack was looking forlornly at the picture. The implication was there all along.

I'm disappointed, but not for the reasons the homophobes are disappointed. Hear me out. I think Blizzard could've gone further and made him bisexual. Very rarely are pan/bisexual men represented in media, if at all. I've seen more women come out as pan/bisexual (including my own sister) than men. While it's great that a man who didn't fit gay stereotypes came out as gay, this could've been a real turning point and increased bi visibility. Instead, it was a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:50:48 PM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 520
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #2362 on: January 08, 2019, 05:46:49 PM »
Yeah, it would've been cool, because bi-erasure is a real thing that needs to be addressed, but as it is, I'm still pleased.

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2363 on: January 11, 2019, 03:35:22 PM »
FINE

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 742
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2364 on: January 11, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »
Looks like Brad Wardell has been owned in court.  Star Control may be in good hands now.

I really wish Stardock and the original creators could have worked together. Star Control: Origins is by no means a bad game. It just isn't as good as Star Control 2. But SC2 is one of the best games of all time, so that would be tough for any game to follow. (see Star Control 3).

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
« Reply #2365 on: January 12, 2019, 10:40:44 AM »
So the Sega Ages: Outrun game is out now.  It's a port of the 3DS version, but with even more tuning options and some of the Genesis version's songs remade to sound more like the original arcade's music.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Big Montana
« Reply #2366 on: January 14, 2019, 06:03:40 PM »
So the Sega Ages: Outrun game is out now.  It's a port of the 3DS version, but with even more tuning options and some of the Genesis version's songs remade to sound more like the original arcade's music.

Some of the extra tracks are done by Jane-Evelyn "Chibi-Tech" Nisperos, and if you're a Chiptuner like I am, you will recognize her as God-tier. Because she was able to make Dubstep/Brostep on the NES. I'm not kidding. Listen for yourself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:07:46 PM by Iron Curtain »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2368 on: January 19, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »
I saw that and I was actually just kind of meh... meh because I don't subscribe to Machinima on Youtube, but I worry that because of that a few other channels I follow might also one day go the way of the Dodo like Screwattack and Watch Mojo.

But I am avoiding asking the obvious question, why was their content taken down? Was it all violating copyrights?

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2369 on: January 24, 2019, 08:56:39 AM »
PSA: On January 30th, Nintendo shuts down the Wii online services forever. This means that any Wiiware or Virtual Console titles that you haven't downloaded will no longer be downloadable and will forever be lost to the ages.

Here is a list of titles that have only ever been released on WiiWare:

http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wiiware/list_of_wiiware-exclusive_games

Of particular note are the Artstyle games, Konami's excellent "ReBirth" titles, and Square-Enix's Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as King/Darklord.

So if you owned them already (You can't buy Wii points anymore) make sure you've downloaded them all so they aren't forever lost from your library.