Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 232356 times)

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 244
  • Bowsette is bae
Re: General Game News
« Reply #2280 on: September 27, 2018, 01:39:37 PM »
Nintendo's Dragalia Lost is out on mobile. I'm having fun with it. Don't know if it will hold my attention for more than a few days, but it's a step above most mobile RPGs.

Oh is that out? Nice!

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2380
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2281 on: September 27, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »
Nintendo has been way more into porting their old games recently. They're porting New Super Mario Bros U and re-re-porting Wind Waker. I feel like Galaxy and (I hope) Sunshine ports aren't far off.

I think that's more to do with the Wii U under-performing so badly. They made a bunch of incredible games that few people bought. Unfortunately, it's also a bit shit for those of us who DID support the Wii U, since a lot of their release schedule is a polished version of a game we already bought not very long ago.

Oh well, I AM glad the Switch is doing so well, and it does let them crank out titles a bit quicker.
FINE

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1497
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #2282 on: September 28, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
Nintendo has been way more into porting their old games recently. They're porting New Super Mario Bros U and re-re-porting Wind Waker. I feel like Galaxy and (I hope) Sunshine ports aren't far off.

I think that's more to do with the Wii U under-performing so badly. They made a bunch of incredible games that few people bought. Unfortunately, it's also a bit shit for those of us who DID support the Wii U, since a lot of their release schedule is a polished version of a game we already bought not very long ago.

Oh well, I AM glad the Switch is doing so well, and it does let them crank out titles a bit quicker.

And unfortunately games like Lego City Undercover got crappy ports from Wii U to Switch that have game breaking bugs. Easily my favorite game on Wii U

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3919
« Reply #2283 on: September 28, 2018, 01:18:06 PM »
I hope Godzilla Unleashed will get ported with a better control scheme.

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 135
« Reply #2284 on: September 28, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »
My only complaint about the Switch so far (and it was the same complaint I had about the Wii) is that motion controls can be fun and integral to the way a game plays, but in some games they're unnecessary and seem thrown in for no reason other than to say "see it has motion controllers". In those games (especially when using the Switch as a portable gaming system which ours gets used as 90%+) I wish they'd allow for an alternate control scheme (see Mario Odyssey as an example). 

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 72
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #2285 on: September 28, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »
My only complaint about the Switch so far (and it was the same complaint I had about the Wii) is that motion controls can be fun and integral to the way a game plays, but in some games they're unnecessary and seem thrown in for no reason other than to say "see it has motion controllers". In those games (especially when using the Switch as a portable gaming system which ours gets used as 90%+) I wish they'd allow for an alternate control scheme (see Mario Odyssey as an example).

I'm confused by this, because on the Nintendo Switch, the Motion Controls, when provided, are always an option and never a requirement like they were on the Wii. That is an advantage the Switch has over the Wii: gamepad control schemes such as with two or one joy-cons are standard and motion controls, if offered, are an option but never a requirement. I honestly don't understand where you get the idea that Motion Controls are a requirement on the Nintendo Switch like they were with the Wii…
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 05:03:10 PM by Iron Curtain »

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2286 on: September 28, 2018, 06:07:19 PM »
Well, to be fair, Mario Odyssey does have... not mandatory, but very heavily insisted upon motion controls. There are some moons you cannot get without using them.

That's the only game that applies to to my knowledge though.
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #2287 on: September 28, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
I hated the gyro controls that were on by default when I started Splatoon 2, and I couldn't change it till I'd finished the tutorial. That's what I have a problem with. It could have let me decide whether or not to use them before forcing me through a tutorial that was counter to almost every shooter I've ever played because of those controls. It took the wind out of my sails right away. I get that motion controls can be cool, but more often than not they frustrate me. Maybe VR would be better, because I would get the sense of proper moving, but rotating a controller to aim? eff that in the ay.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2288 on: September 28, 2018, 06:28:23 PM »
Ah, I knew you could turn off the Splatoon ones, but I think those controls are fantastic (on the Wii U anyway, haven't played 2). The tutorial only has to be done once though, and then you can opt out, so it doesn't seem like a big deal?
FINE

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #2289 on: September 28, 2018, 06:41:53 PM »
Ah, I knew you could turn off the Splatoon ones, but I think those controls are fantastic (on the Wii U anyway, haven't played 2). The tutorial only has to be done once though, and then you can opt out, so it doesn't seem like a big deal?

It's not a huge deal, but it could have been solved by a pop-up prior to the tutorial saying "Hey! This game uses motion controls by default! Would you like to turn them off? This can be changed later!" As it was, I was annoyed and frustrated during the tutorial, and didn't get any practice aiming in a way I'm comfortable with; I had to get used to it in game. Again, it's not a HUGE deal, but it's an inconvenience, and almost made me stop playing, because I assumed they were mandatory. I only kept at it because I knew there was no way they'd do that, but there was a nagging doubt.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2290 on: October 02, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »
Mark Darin, now a former Telltale Employee (he was the writer and creative director on several Telltale episodes, like those in Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, and yes, The Walking Dead), has returned to making games in the franchise that got him hired by Telltale in the first place: Nick Bounty. Here's the Kickstarter to fund it!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:54:01 AM by Iron Curtain »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2291 on: October 05, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
Mark Darin, now a former Telltale Employee (he was the writer and creative director on several Telltale episodes, like those in Tales of Monkey Island, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People, and yes, The Walking Dead), has returned to making games in the franchise that got him hired by Telltale in the first place: Nick Bounty. Here's the Kickstarter to fund it!

I'd like to offer an update: the base goal of this Kickstarter is fully funded with 25 days to go! Now onto those stretch goals!

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2292 on: October 09, 2018, 07:54:33 AM »

I'd like to offer an update: the base goal of this Kickstarter is fully funded with 25 days to go! Now onto those stretch goals!

I'd like to offer another update: I played the Proof-of-Concept demo and I can affirm that it plays like a Telltale Sam & Max game. I'm so excited to play the real thing when it comes out!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1273
« Reply #2293 on: October 10, 2018, 01:05:31 PM »
!!!  Stardew Valley is getting an iPhone release. But what makes this news even better is that I’ll be able to transfer my PC save to my phone. Rather excited for that, considering I’m currently working on my second playthrough, where hopefully I’ll be able to complete the community center this time.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/10/10/stardew-valley-mobile-release-date/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

Offline The Lurker

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3919
« Reply #2294 on: October 16, 2018, 09:46:49 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Rm0QWwK6ZLk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Rm0QWwK6ZLk</a>