login

Author Topic: General Game News  (Read 267913 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: General Game News
« Reply #2325 on: November 10, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »
Okay, stuff announced at the XBox thing in Mexico City

*Void Bastards- a title from the creator of Bioshock that looks like a cross between FTL and an FPS, with cell shading
*Crackdown 3- Feb 15.
*Lots of titles being added to Microsoft's Game Pass programs. PUBG, Ori, Hellblade, several Indie titles,Hello Neighbor, Agents of Mayhem and ,er, Thomas was Alone.
*Final Fantasy 7 coming to XB.
*Thief of Thieves. Based on a Robert Kirkman book.
*State of Decay update next week- Zedhunter.
*Minecraft is adding cats and pandas. What? Lots of people play it.
*Apparently you can play Fortnight on Xbox. Huh. Who knew?
*Keyboard and mouse support for the Xbox. Finally. Fortnite is one of the supported titles, for obvious reasons.
*More Hot Wheels crossover with Forza 4. Also expansion- Fortune Island, with lightning storms. It's the largest expansion to Horizon so far.

Black Friday deals- Bundles $100 off, controllers $10 off, lots of XB first party titles on sale. (These are for both Microsoft's store and at most retailers. I can confirm that the BF ads for retail stores show most of these discounts.)

And they close out by revealing that Microsoft had acquired In Exile Entertainment. That's Brian Fargo's company. Whoa. Very old school RPGs. And Microsoft has bought Obsidian too. Wow. (Pillars of Eternity, South Park: Stick of Truth, Star Wars : The Old Republic)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 02:57:28 PM by Compound »

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #2326 on: November 13, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/961F-VtoaYo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/961F-VtoaYo</a>

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3204
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2327 on: November 20, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »
New Civ VI Expansion in February! Now with disasters and Global Warming!

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/20/civilization-6-gathering-storm-expansion-announced

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 742
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #2328 on: November 20, 2018, 04:11:40 PM »

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/11/20/civilization-6-gathering-storm-expansion-announced

Oh boy, here we go... Y'kmow, as long as we're going to be controversial, when do I get to play Germany as Hitler?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2648
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2329 on: November 20, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »

Oh boy, here we go... Y'kmow, as long as we're going to be controversial, when do I get to play Germany as Hitler?

Global Warming isn't controversial just because some people deny it. That's like saying they shouldn't use a round Earth in the game.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 07:18:20 PM by Edward J Grug III »
FINE

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2330 on: November 20, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
Xbox is having a sale right now on a month of Gold and a month of Gamepass for just a dollar each. I decided to do the gamepass thing because there's plenty of games  I'd at least like to try for a bit.

Offline CJones

« Reply #2331 on: November 21, 2018, 03:23:38 PM »

Global Warming isn't controversial just because some people deny it. That's like saying they shouldn't use a round Earth in the game.

Actually, as long as people think there is controversy, there will be. That's the definition of controversy. This isn't changed by the fact that there is a definite right answer. Relativity and Quantum Mechanics were controversial too (mainly among physicists), but have since been proven correct.

Nobody whose opinion counts for anything thinks the world isn't round. Incidentally, the world in Civ games isn't a globe either, it's a cylinder.

And now I regret bringing it up.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2332 on: November 21, 2018, 03:27:00 PM »

Actually, as long as people think there is controversy, there will be. That's the definition of controversy. This isn't changed by the fact that there is a definite right answer. Relativity and Quantum Mechanics were controversial too (mainly among physicists), but have since been proven correct.

Nobody whose opinion counts for anything thinks the world isn't round. Incidentally, the world in Civ games isn't a globe either, it's a cylinder.

There isn't a SCIENTIFIC controversy, and this is a scientific matter. Nobody whose opinion counts for anything thinks there isn't global warming either.
FINE

Offline CJones

« Reply #2333 on: November 21, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »

There isn't a SCIENTIFIC controversy, and this is a scientific matter. Nobody whose opinion counts for anything thinks there isn't global warming either.

Sorry, but as long as there are climate change deniers in positions of power, be it scientific, economic or political, and they are willing act on that supposition, their opinion does count for something. Whether we like it or not.

• Global Moderator
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #2334 on: November 21, 2018, 07:13:14 PM »

Sorry, but as long as there are climate change deniers in positions of power, be it scientific, economic or political, and they are willing act on that supposition, their opinion does count for something. Whether we like it or not.

No, there is a fringe element of science that disagree. It is in no way a scientific controversy. https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-intermediate.htm

If you want to discuss politics, I'll be happy to, but you'll need to take it to the politics section of the board.
FINE

Offline CJones

« Reply #2335 on: November 22, 2018, 08:40:42 AM »
No thanks. You seem to be under the mistaken impression that I'm arguing against the validity of Global Warming. That was never the case.

At any rate, that's the last I have to say about it.

Offline The Lurker

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 4509
« Reply #2336 on: November 27, 2018, 10:34:48 PM »
Unfortunately, the following games on the PlayStation Classic are actually the PAL versions no matter where you buy it:
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6

Offline CJones

« Reply #2337 on: November 28, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Unfortunately, the following games on the PlayStation Classic are actually the PAL versions no matter where you buy it:
  • Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Jumping Flash!
  • Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey
  • Resident Evil: Director's Cut
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6

Seriously? That sounds like a mistake, or at least gross incompetence. Both Japan and the US, the two biggest markets by far, use NTSC. Why would Sony use the PAL versions at all?

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 580
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
« Reply #2338 on: November 28, 2018, 08:14:08 AM »
Why is that unfortunate? I mean even if they're Pal isn't that still basically the same as NTSC with very few differences?

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2339 on: November 28, 2018, 08:35:28 AM »
Why is that unfortunate? I mean even if they're Pal isn't that still basically the same as NTSC with very few differences?

It means those games are running at 50 frames per second instead of 60. 

Really hilarious to me that people now find 50 fps unacceptable, I guess those people were not even born when DOOM first came out.